Old 11-12-2012, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default RHS seed list

Just ordering my free seed online but notice that they say that members
will receive an email when the seed list is ready . I never got an
email! Wondered if anyone else had.

It's been online apparently for a while
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 11-12-2012, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 17:45:58 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

Just ordering my free seed online but notice that they say that members
will receive an email when the seed list is ready . I never got an
email! Wondered if anyone else had.

It's been online apparently for a while

Nope! Have never had an email. Usually realise it's online because
someone here posts.

But this year I'm not ordering any as I have too much seed already
collected.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin
writes
My wife looked in vain for free seed details and assumed that the RHS
had stopped offering them.
--

Martin

Http://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/Seed-list/Seed-list

Hope that helps - she still has loads of time. Personally i wish I could
afford to belong to the Alpine gardening Society as their seed list is
very comprehensive and much better in a lot of ways to the RHS and the
HPS.
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 12-12-2012, 09:31 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

I've never had an email just for the seed list. Maybe it's buried in one of their email bulletins that I never read?

They're not exactly free, are they? There's a pretty hefty postage and handling charge.
__________________
Old 12-12-2012, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
I'd say that was quite a good deal.
http://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/Seed-list/Seed-list
--

Still not as good or as comprehensive as the alpine ga one Sacha
Old 12-12-2012, 11:02 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

I can understand why they charge it. But £12 is not a trivial amount - especially if you only want 3 packets instead of the full 20.
__________________
Old 13-12-2012, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
Is that the Alpine Garden Society? I don't know what their charges are
but think - may be wrong - that their work is done by volunteers and
private gardeners, so presumably they have few, if any, wages to pay?

The price is about the same as the RHS if I recall it's just their wide
variety of choice that I like. I don't understand why the seeds from
stuff grown in the RHS gardens isn't available. You can see at Wisley
for instance , seed from trees on the ground that aren't in the seed
list.
Old 13-12-2012, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , kay
writes

I can understand why they charge it. But £12 is not a trivial amount -
especially if you only want 3 packets instead of the full 20.

--
kay

I share the seed order with two other people Kay so we don't each order
from our lists. That way we can have the seeds for four pounds though
granted some packets only have very few inside.
Old 13-12-2012, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
In the meantime, don't forget that unusual seeds are sold by Special
Plants and Plant World in Torquay. I don't know what their charges
are, so can't comment on that.
--

And off you go then Sacha wrap up warmly and start taking seed from your
garden as well! You could sell that as a Christmas Special

Old 14-12-2012, 09:06 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_4_] View Post

Ah, Janet! I well recall my utter frustration on my frist visit to
Rosemoor. I rushed into the shop, ready to spend, and was confronted by
a display of plants that could have come from any bog-standard garden
centre. To be fair, I haven't been back for years but that really did
surprise me unpleasantly!
Same as Harlow Carr. I wrote to them about it, and got a polite reply to the effect that it was an aspiration to stock in the garden centre plants that visitors will have seen in the garden. But it was clear that other priorities were higher, and that it won't happen in the foreseeable future.

And while the bookshop is still excellent, even that is reducing its range of plant books.
__________________
Old 20-12-2012, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
I'll tell Ray that. He'll be - ahem - 'delighted'!! I'm sure he's
taken the seeds he wants but he's never got into selling them, too!
--
Sacha

Put me down for two packets of anything he cares to collect apart from
rubbish stuff like salvia turkestanica etc.
I bet David will want to be on the list as well! You don't have to give
guarantees or anything of them germinating

Janet
Old 20-12-2012, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/12/2012 13:57, Sacha wrote:
Anyway, I'll have a think about seeds, too!
--

good good good, will wait with bated breath and poise with pencil and
labels ready
Old 20-12-2012, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/12/2012 17:31, Sacha wrote:
Lol! It's an attractive mental picture! Is he right that you wanted
some Geranium Rozanne (aka Jolly Bee at one time)? Not seeds, I think,
but plants?

Yes!! We were discussing Rozanne and Jolly Bee NOT being the same as
many people seem to think.

Janet