Old 09-01-2013, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default A Few Minutes of Veddw

For anyone interested in a briefish glimpse of Veddw House Garden,
there were about 5 minutes of it on today's (9 January) edition of
Escape to the Country on BBC1. Should be on iPlayer tomorrow if not
later today.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 15:34:11 +0000, The Original Jake wrote:

For anyone interested in a briefish glimpse of Veddw House Garden, there
were about 5 minutes of it on today's (9 January) edition of Escape to
the Country on BBC1. Should be on iPlayer tomorrow if not later today.

What a strange ******* spelling! Where is it? right on the Welsh/English
border?
Old 09-01-2013, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 17:37:20 +0100, Martin wrote:

What a strange ******* spelling! Where is it? right on the Welsh/English
border?

http://veddw.com/

clicks

That'll be a 'yes' then.

and I note the 'correct' spelling in the 'where to find us'

Address Veddw House, The Fedw, Devauden, Monmouthshire NP16 6PH

Which just leaves the mystery of 'Devauden', another *******? Yep, Welsh:
Y Dyfawden
Old 09-01-2013, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 Jan 2013 16:35:01 GMT, Derek Turner wrote:

On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 15:34:11 +0000, The Original Jake wrote:

For anyone interested in a briefish glimpse of Veddw House Garden, there
were about 5 minutes of it on today's (9 January) edition of Escape to
the Country on BBC1. Should be on iPlayer tomorrow if not later today.

What a strange ******* spelling! Where is it? right on the Welsh/English
border?

Very close. A bit north west of Chepstow. Over the years it's been
spelt differently (Fedw, Vedw, Veddw et al) and Anne Wareham's erected
a bench which is decorated with the various spellings and their
dates. Currently known as Veddw House Garden.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 09-01-2013, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Derek Turner" wrote in message
On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 15:34:11 +0000, The Original Jake wrote:

For anyone interested in a briefish glimpse of Veddw House Garden, there
were about 5 minutes of it on today's (9 January) edition of Escape to
the Country on BBC1. Should be on iPlayer tomorrow if not later today.

What a strange ******* spelling! Where is it? right on the Welsh/English
border?

Parts of south eastern Wales still has the letter V in use. I don't know
the origin of this anomaly as we all know the sound "V" is represented by
the letter "f" in the Welsh language.

Bill

Old 09-01-2013, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Derek Turner" wrote in message
On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 17:37:20 +0100, Martin wrote:

What a strange ******* spelling! Where is it? right on the Welsh/English
border?

http://veddw.com/

clicks

That'll be a 'yes' then.

and I note the 'correct' spelling in the 'where to find us'

Address Veddw House, The Fedw, Devauden, Monmouthshire NP16 6PH

Which just leaves the mystery of 'Devauden', another *******? Yep, Welsh:
Y Dyfawden

No such word - but I'm happy to becorrected

But Fedw is Welsh for Birch.

Bill
elsh for Birch

Bill

Old 10-01-2013, 12:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/01/2013 22:22, Bill Grey wrote:
Parts of south eastern Wales still has the letter V in use. I don't know
the origin of this anomaly as we all know the sound "V" is represented by
the letter "f" in the Welsh language.

Bill

double v rather than double u?

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 10-01-2013, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 22:31:23 +0000, Bill Grey wrote:

No such word - but I'm happy to becorrected

Y Dyfawden
Neidio i: llywio, chwilio
Y Dyfawden

Pentref a chymuned yn Sir Fynwy yw Y Dyfawden (Saesneg: Devauden).

Saif i'r gogledd-orllewin o dref Cas-gwent ar y ffordd B4293. Mae'r
gymuned hefyd yn cynnwys pentref bychan Fedw. Dywedir i John Wesley
bregethu ei bregeth gyntaf yng Nghymru yn y Dyfawden ar 15 Hydref 1739.

Ceir Croes Cilgwrwg yn yr eglwys leol, a gofrestrwyd gan Cadw.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Derek Turner" wrote in message
On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 22:31:23 +0000, Bill Grey wrote:

No such word - but I'm happy to becorrected

Y Dyfawden
Neidio i: llywio, chwilio
Y Dyfawden

Pentref a chymuned yn Sir Fynwy yw Y Dyfawden (Saesneg: Devauden).

Saif i'r gogledd-orllewin o dref Cas-gwent ar y ffordd B4293. Mae'r
gymuned hefyd yn cynnwys pentref bychan Fedw. Dywedir i John Wesley
bregethu ei bregeth gyntaf yng Nghymru yn y Dyfawden ar 15 Hydref 1739.

Ceir Croes Cilgwrwg yn yr eglwys leol, a gofrestrwyd gan Cadw.

I like to think the name is a corruption of Ffawydden (Birch) so the name
Devauden does not have a translation as it stands.

Bill

Old 10-01-2013, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 15:43:05 -0000, "Bill Grey"
wrote:

"Derek Turner" wrote in message
On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 22:31:23 +0000, Bill Grey wrote:

No such word - but I'm happy to becorrected

Y Dyfawden
Neidio i: llywio, chwilio
Y Dyfawden

Pentref a chymuned yn Sir Fynwy yw Y Dyfawden (Saesneg: Devauden).

Saif i'r gogledd-orllewin o dref Cas-gwent ar y ffordd B4293. Mae'r
gymuned hefyd yn cynnwys pentref bychan Fedw. Dywedir i John Wesley
bregethu ei bregeth gyntaf yng Nghymru yn y Dyfawden ar 15 Hydref 1739.

Ceir Croes Cilgwrwg yn yr eglwys leol, a gofrestrwyd gan Cadw.

I like to think the name is a corruption of Ffawydden (Birch) so the name
Devauden does not have a translation as it stands.

Bill

Sorry, Bill, it's beech, not birch. Bedwen is birch - hence bedw/fedw
and its corruptions.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 10-01-2013, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-01-09 15:34:11 +0000, The Original Jake said:

For anyone interested in a briefish glimpse of Veddw House Garden,
there were about 5 minutes of it on today's (9 January) edition of
Escape to the Country on BBC1. Should be on iPlayer tomorrow if not
later today.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.

Just watched it. It gives a very good 'feel' of the place, even though
so brief. That bench at the top is superbly located. I sat there for
ages and could well be there now if hadn't been called away! As you
say, Anne did a LOT of research into the names of Veddw and its uses
before making the garden. She's been very 'respectful', if that's the
right word, of it's origins and history.

--
Sacha

Old 10-01-2013, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Don't apologise Jake it is entirely my fault. I know it's beech but I still
typed Birch.

Living so near to Birchgrove - Gellifedw I shouldn't have made
/that/mistake(typo)

At least I'm keeping you on your toes :-)

Bill

Old 10-01-2013, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 18:59:30 -0000, "Bill Grey"
wrote:

At least I'm keeping you on your toes :-)

Bill

And they are very damp toes. I still have about quarter of an inch of
water on top of the back lawn surface. When I "built" the pond I
provided for an overflow system which I thought would take care of the
wettest winter. That's been overwhelmed and I think the pond banks are
in danger of collapsing now, particularly as resident cat won't stay
off them. He's already been in the water once this year after a
mini-collapse but didn't seem to mind in the least. Indeed, he
objected to my attempts to remove him from the water!

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.

For Sacha - Veddw Incident Jake United Kingdom 25 22-06-2013 09:06 PM
Veddw open Sacha[_10_] United Kingdom 1 02-06-2013 04:36 PM
veddw Gardens Janet Tweedy[_2_] United Kingdom 4 16-01-2013 04:24 PM
Daniel Wheeler gets his 15 minutes! Larry Caldwell alt.forestry 0 09-06-2003 03:32 AM
May I ask a few minutes of your time? Chuck Lawns 3 04-05-2003 04:56 AM