Old 11-01-2013, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Happy Birthday, Sacha!

Hope you're having a lovely, if chilly, birthday. Keep warm and drink
lots of tea .. and maybe a hot toddy tonight. Brrr it's cold here.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 11-01-2013, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-01-11 12:30:05 +0000, Spider said:

Hope you're having a lovely, if chilly, birthday. Keep warm and drink
lots of tea .. and maybe a hot toddy tonight. Brrr it's cold here.

Thank you so much, Spider! There was a light frost on the lawn this
morning bu I haven't poked my nose outside yet! I'm having computer
work going on so the guru and I had a remote control consultation.
There's that sort of greyish white haze over everything, there isn't a
breath of wind and the weathervane is pointing resolutely north.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Old 11-01-2013, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-01-11 12:30:05 +0000, Spider said:

Hope you're having a lovely, if chilly, birthday. Keep warm and drink
lots of tea .. and maybe a hot toddy tonight. Brrr it's cold here.

Thank you so much, Spider! There was a light frost on the lawn this
morning bu I haven't poked my nose outside yet! I'm having computer work
going on so the guru and I had a remote control consultation. There's that
sort of greyish white haze over everything, there isn't a breath of wind
and the weathervane is pointing resolutely north.
Sacha

Happy Birthday 'youngster'

Mike

Smile ... It irritates those who wish to destroy you.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-01-11 12:30:05 +0000, Spider said:

Hope you're having a lovely, if chilly, birthday. Keep warm and drink
lots of tea .. and maybe a hot toddy tonight. Brrr it's cold here.

Thank you so much, Spider! There was a light frost on the lawn this
morning bu I haven't poked my nose outside yet! I'm having computer
work going on so the guru and I had a remote control consultation.
There's that sort of greyish white haze over everything, there isn't a
breath of wind and the weathervane is pointing resolutely north.
--

Maybe your weathervane knows where the good weather is hiding. It's
quite warm up here!

Steve

Old 11-01-2013, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 12:30:05 +0000, Spider wrote:

Hope you're having a lovely, if chilly, birthday. Keep warm and drink
lots of tea .. and maybe a hot toddy tonight. Brrr it's cold here.

Bouôn annivèrsaithe

Old 11-01-2013, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
Hope you're having a lovely, if chilly, birthday. Keep warm and drink
lots of tea .. and maybe a hot toddy tonight. Brrr it's cold here.

Happy Birthday from me too. Have a lovely and a great year
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 11-01-2013, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-01-11 12:30:05 +0000, Spider said:

Hope you're having a lovely, if chilly, birthday. Keep warm and drink
lots of tea .. and maybe a hot toddy tonight. Brrr it's cold here.

Thank you so much, Spider! There was a light frost on the lawn this
morning bu I haven't poked my nose outside yet! I'm having computer work
going on so the guru and I had a remote control consultation. There's
that sort of greyish white haze over everything, there isn't a breath of
wind and the weathervane is pointing resolutely north.

Well, we have a chilly 4*C here with hardly any wind. It feels even
colder because RG is having to flush out the radiators, so there's no
heating on. I'm avoiding going outside, even to the bins, until there's
heating to come in to. Just as well Panther is sharing 'hairy chair'
with me - she's keeping my lumbar region warm:~)!

Old 11-01-2013, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-01-11 13:34:53 +0000, Ophelia said:

"Spider" wrote in message
Hope you're having a lovely, if chilly, birthday. Keep warm and drink
lots of tea .. and maybe a hot toddy tonight. Brrr it's cold here.

Happy Birthday from me too. Have a lovely and a great year
--

Many, many thanks to everyone! Goodness, if this isn't a good year
after all this kindness, there is no justice in this world - and a

Old 11-01-2013, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 13:33:46 +0000, Derek Turner wrote:

On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 12:30:05 +0000, Spider wrote:

Hope you're having a lovely, if chilly, birthday. Keep warm and drink
lots of tea .. and maybe a hot toddy tonight. Brrr it's cold here.

Bouôn annivèrsaithe

Bouon eunnivarsé from south of the Joret line, also! (Only
approximately Jersiais. I've become quite interested in this language
question of late.)

-E
--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 11-01-2013, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-01-11 13:34:53 +0000, Ophelia said:

"Spider" wrote in message
Hope you're having a lovely, if chilly, birthday. Keep warm and drink
lots of tea .. and maybe a hot toddy tonight. Brrr it's cold here.

Happy Birthday from me too. Have a lovely and a great year
--

Many, many thanks to everyone! Goodness, if this isn't a good year after
all this kindness, there is no justice in this world - and a Jersey
greeting too from Derek - how nostalgic. Thank you all so much!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Oops! I seem to have missed this opportunity to wish you a very happy
birthday.

Bill

Old 11-01-2013, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-01-11 16:19:56 +0000, Emery Davis said:

On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 13:33:46 +0000, Derek Turner wrote:

On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 12:30:05 +0000, Spider wrote:

Hope you're having a lovely, if chilly, birthday. Keep warm and drink
lots of tea .. and maybe a hot toddy tonight. Brrr it's cold here.

Bouôn annivèrsaithe

Bouon eunnivarsé from south of the Joret line, also! (Only
approximately Jersiais. I've become quite interested in this language
question of late.)

-E

I never learned Jèrriais unfortunately because in my youth it was
considered a sort of pidgin French and the idea was to teach 'proper'
French. And because it's based on old Norman French and has shortened
forms of words (and some very different words) I can't read all of it,
though can usually get the gist. I know a couple of now very old
farmers who speak Jèrriais all the time when they're together but few
people really know it now. When I was a child and even up into the
1970s, one often heard it spoken in the market, especially at week
ends. It doesn't help that a genuine Jersey accent is very strong, too.
Doing some family research i often see where the poor English
enumerator has tried to get a name or address from an ancestor who
probably only spoke Jèrriais. The parish of Grouville often gets
written as Yarwelle and what happens to some of the French surnames is
amazing! I have a Jèrriais-French dictionary which is quite handy at
times. I think children have the option of learning the language as an
'extra' now but I wonder how many bother. However, on a visit to
Normandy some years ago, a very chauvinistic Frenchman practically
adopted me because, among a crowd of English, I was a Jersey woman and
therefore almost Norman!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Old 11-01-2013, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-01-11 13:34:53 +0000, Ophelia said:

"Spider" wrote in message
Hope you're having a lovely, if chilly, birthday. Keep warm and drink
lots of tea .. and maybe a hot toddy tonight. Brrr it's cold here.

Happy Birthday from me too. Have a lovely and a great year
--

Many, many thanks to everyone! Goodness, if this isn't a good year
after all this kindness, there is no justice in this world - and a
Jersey greeting too from Derek - how nostalgic. Thank you all so much!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Oops! I seem to have missed this opportunity to wish you a very happy
birthday.

Bill

Thank you, Bill and again so many thanks to everyone. It's very very
kind of you.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Old 11-01-2013, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 17:32:17 +0000, Sacha wrote:

[...]

I think Jersiais (French spelling, though I don't doubt yours is more
accurate) seems to be one of the best preserved examples of Normand from
the north of the Joret line. It would be a terrible shame if it were
lost as a living language. Of course it's really "old French" and was
spoken by many, including the English courts apparently for a couple of
hundred years, after the battle of Hastings.

I know a couple of speakers of old Norman, but it's really down to a few
words slipped in here or there. I'd really like to learn more of it
though, and looking through the online dictionaries I do recognize a few
words that I've heard.

I'm not sure if I have a problem so much with the "old Norman" accent as
the fact that those I know who speak it have practically no teeth, so
even in straight French they're pretty hard to follow!

As a Jersey woman, I'd think you would be fully qualified as a Norman!

cheers,

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 11-01-2013, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-01-11 13:34:53 +0000, Ophelia said:

"Spider" wrote in message
Hope you're having a lovely, if chilly, birthday. Keep warm and
drink lots of tea .. and maybe a hot toddy tonight. Brrr it's cold
here.

Happy Birthday from me too. Have a lovely and a great year
--

Many, many thanks to everyone! Goodness, if this isn't a good year
after all this kindness, there is no justice in this world - and a
Jersey greeting too from Derek - how nostalgic. Thank you all so much!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Oops! I seem to have missed this opportunity to wish you a very happy
birthday.

Bill

Thank you, Bill and again so many thanks to everyone. It's very very
kind of you.

And an even more belated greeting form us Sacha.
Hoe you and Ray are now over your "Cold", and are ready to face the
coming Spring.
David and Jay,
Old 12-01-2013, 12:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-01-11 19:00:45 +0000, Emery Davis said:

[...]

But my paternal Jersey ancestry is Italian 400 or 500 years ago. I
didn't tell him that...! Mother's maiden name is Jersey enough to
satisfy!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon