Old 25-01-2013, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Default waterproofing leather boots

On 25/01/2013 10:28, Peter Clinch wrote:

I use a "50m water resistant" watch. It seems to do pretty well upside
down in the sea when surfing kayaks and given it can do that it's not
surprising it survives wetter Os too.

Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me at all if all "50m water
resistant" watches were /not/ created anything like equal. Mine's a
Casio (as was its predecessor, which also did genuinely underwater fine,
but I managed to bugger it up somehow trying to change the battery).

Pete.

Experience of that general nature was one reason I chose a Citizen Eco
Drive watch [2]. No battery to replace. [1] I did not want the risks
inherent in a DIY battery replacement, nor the cost of a manufacturer
battery replacement every year or so.

[1] I know it does have some sort of energy storage battery and,
eventually, that might replacing. But is is not one of those "It's
Christmas coming up so I'll need a new watch battery" affairs.

[2] Yes, there are other manufacturers who avoid the need for regular
battery changes - and still not need winding. My partner's Eco Drive
watch had been so good, for her, that I went down the same route.

--
Rod
Old 25-01-2013, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2013-01-25, polygonum wrote:
On 25/01/2013 10:28, Peter Clinch wrote:

I use a "50m water resistant" watch. It seems to do pretty well upside
down in the sea when surfing kayaks and given it can do that it's not
surprising it survives wetter Os too.

Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me at all if all "50m water
resistant" watches were /not/ created anything like equal. Mine's a
Casio (as was its predecessor, which also did genuinely underwater fine,
but I managed to bugger it up somehow trying to change the battery).

Experience of that general nature was one reason I chose a Citizen Eco
Drive watch [2]. No battery to replace. [1] I did not want the risks
inherent in a DIY battery replacement, nor the cost of a manufacturer
battery replacement every year or so.

I have a Seiko diving watch, which I have owned for nearly 30 years. It's
had 3 batteries in that time ...

I have a low-end Lorus (100m!), which is on at least its third,
probably fourth, battery. How long? A couple of decades at least.
But I don't bath, bathe or dive with it :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 25-01-2013, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2013 12:56, polygonum wrote:
On 25/01/2013 10:28, Peter Clinch wrote:

I use a "50m water resistant" watch. It seems to do pretty well upside
down in the sea when surfing kayaks and given it can do that it's not
surprising it survives wetter Os too.

Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me at all if all "50m water
resistant" watches were /not/ created anything like equal. Mine's a
Casio (as was its predecessor, which also did genuinely underwater fine,
but I managed to bugger it up somehow trying to change the battery).

Pete.

Experience of that general nature was one reason I chose a Citizen Eco
Drive watch [2]. No battery to replace. [1] I did not want the risks
inherent in a DIY battery replacement, nor the cost of a manufacturer
battery replacement every year or so.

Current Casio reckons 10 year battery life, assuming a certain amount of
use of the light (which I very rarely use). It was ~ £20 so assuming
worst case and it doesn't survive the battery replacement I think I'll
have pretty fair value for money.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old 25-01-2013, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2013 12:56, polygonum wrote:

Experience of that general nature was one reason I chose a Citizen Eco
Drive watch [2]. No battery to replace. [1]

[1] I know it does have some sort of energy storage battery

If its one of those watches that has a generator driven by your arm
movement don't let the storage (wet capacitor?) discharge and remain
discharged for weeks or you may find that it refuses to hold a charge again.

I had a fairly expensive Seiko Eco drive watch fail in this way after
around 3 years. When I enquired about repairs the cost was almost the
same as a new watch. Apparently the repair consists of replacing all the
innards. Research on the web revealed many unhappy customers with short
lived watches that "never required another battery".

Old 25-01-2013, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2013 20:38, alan wrote:
On 25/01/2013 12:56, polygonum wrote:

Experience of that general nature was one reason I chose a Citizen Eco
Drive watch [2]. No battery to replace. [1]

[1] I know it does have some sort of energy storage battery

If its one of those watches that has a generator driven by your arm
movement don't let the storage (wet capacitor?) discharge and remain
discharged for weeks or you may find that it refuses to hold a charge
again.

I had a fairly expensive Seiko Eco drive watch fail in this way after
around 3 years. When I enquired about repairs the cost was almost the
same as a new watch. Apparently the repair consists of replacing all the
innards. Research on the web revealed many unhappy customers with short
lived watches that "never required another battery".

No - it is light powered. And has some sort of shutdown mechanism (if I
have it right, put it in a dark drawer and it will stop even moving the
hands ater a while to conserve power).

--
Rod
Old 25-01-2013, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

"polygonum" wrote in message
On 25/01/2013 20:38, alan wrote:
[...]

Eco-Drive? I was told not to leave mine in the dark for a long period. My
daughter and son in law each have a Rolex and they are wound on the arm
movement and they have a little stand to put them on which does 'the moving'
for them .

Mike

Old 25-01-2013, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2013 21:53, 'Mike' wrote:

"polygonum" wrote in message
On 25/01/2013 20:38, alan wrote:
[...]

Yes - it is best to ensure they regularly get light. Putting in drawer
in BAD IDEA - but if done, they do their best to cope is how I
understand it.

--
Rod
Old 25-01-2013, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Mike' wrote on Jan 25, 2013:

"polygonum" wrote in message
On 25/01/2013 20:38, alan wrote:
[...]

I've seen those winding devices advertised in those gimmicky catalogues that
keep coming through the door. I've never understood the point - don't your
relatives move enough to keep their watches wound normally?

50 years ago I had an Omega self-winding watch that would last several days
even if I didn't wear it for some reason.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Old 26-01-2013, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2013 10:28, Peter Clinch wrote:
On 25/01/2013 10:12, wrote:
In article ,
Reentrant wrote:
On 24/01/2013 19:40,
wrote:

100m - suitable for orienteering, except in the Highlands

Huh? Typical orienteering gear is lightweight polyester/nylon trousers
and top, and lightweight shoes many of which now have open mesh panels.
(See
http://www.ultrasport.co.uk/index.ph...ex&cPath=50_52
for some examples).

None of which are remotely waterproof.

Precisely. The 100m is is supposed waterproofness of watches!
Someone commented that it isn't enough, which I can believe, but
I wouldn't bet on a showerproof 50m watch surviving more than
one wet orienteering session!

I use a "50m water resistant" watch. It seems to do pretty well upside
down in the sea when surfing kayaks and given it can do that it's not
surprising it survives wetter Os too.

Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me at all if all "50m water
resistant" watches were /not/ created anything like equal. Mine's a
Casio (as was its predecessor, which also did genuinely underwater fine,
but I managed to bugger it up somehow trying to change the battery).

Casio Waveceptor 4713 here. Photocell integrated into the watch face
keeps the internal battery well charged. It's never gone below "Hi" on
the state of charge, and I never expect to undo the back. Describes
itself as "water resistant".