Old 21-01-2013, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Default waterproofing leather boots

In article ,
Alan Dicey wrote:

My experience with Goretex lined boots is that the lining lets in water
after a short while. I suspect it tears along the stitching attaching
the sole, but that's just a guess.

The claims often made for Goretex are complete twaddle, and it is
not fully waterproof even when intact. However, the rate at which
water can get through it is very low, so that would account only
for dampness. But the same applies to its breathability (which
fails in very wet or cold conditions), so water inside could be
condensed sweat.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 21-01-2013, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Phil Cook wrote:

The breathing action of Goretex works best in dry conditions, once it
is wet outside you can't pump enough water vapour through it to keep
dry inside. Its benefits in leather footwear are dubious beyond the
box ticking much favoured by advertisers.

Yes. Until and unless the leather breaks down enough to start
letting water through in large amounts. I had to get rid of one
pair of boots where that happened.

The liner will keep liquid water in equally well as out. The usual
failure mode of the membrane is grit or toenail punctures. Of course
the boot and its liner has a great big hole in it from the start, how
else would you get your foot in?

A simple problem in four dimensional topology :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 21-01-2013, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 21/01/2013 15:51, Alan Dicey wrote:
On 21/01/2013 14:07, PeterC wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 13:31:46 +0000, Alan Dicey wrote:

The "dubbin rots stitching" rumour has been going around since I were a
lad, so fifty years at least.

On my previous Scarpa Monte Rosa's I used the olive-oil treatment: pour
oil into one boot until it's full, leave until it starts to ooze out,
pour into other boot, ditto. Pour remaining oil into bottle for next
treatment, oil remaining in boot will sink into the leather. Obviously
you get your olive oil from the vet, not some extra virgin at the
supermarket.

ISTR castor oil being mentioned in here - was that so?

Peter, you're quite right it was castor oil. Oh, the embarassment . . .

And I was just going to suggest some oregano, and a splash of balsamic
vinegar

Old 21-01-2013, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 21/01/2013 15:51, Alan Dicey wrote:
On 21/01/2013 14:07, PeterC wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 13:31:46 +0000, Alan Dicey wrote:

The "dubbin rots stitching" rumour has been going around since I were a
lad, so fifty years at least.

On my previous Scarpa Monte Rosa's I used the olive-oil treatment: pour
oil into one boot until it's full, leave until it starts to ooze out,
pour into other boot, ditto. Pour remaining oil into bottle for next
treatment, oil remaining in boot will sink into the leather. Obviously
you get your olive oil from the vet, not some extra virgin at the
supermarket.

ISTR castor oil being mentioned in here - was that so?

Peter, you're quite right it was castor oil. Oh, the embarassment . . .

Well the caster oil should keep you running

Old 21-01-2013, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

"David Hill" wrote in message
On 21/01/2013 15:51, Alan Dicey wrote:
On 21/01/2013 14:07, PeterC wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 13:31:46 +0000, Alan Dicey wrote:

The "dubbin rots stitching" rumour has been going around since I were a
lad, so fifty years at least.

On my previous Scarpa Monte Rosa's I used the olive-oil treatment: pour
oil into one boot until it's full, leave until it starts to ooze out,
pour into other boot, ditto. Pour remaining oil into bottle for next
treatment, oil remaining in boot will sink into the leather. Obviously
you get your olive oil from the vet, not some extra virgin at the
supermarket.

ISTR castor oil being mentioned in here - was that so?

Peter, you're quite right it was castor oil. Oh, the embarassment . . .

Well the caster oil should keep you running

lol

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 21-01-2013, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 14:53:10 +0000, Gordonbp wrote:

On 21/01/13 14:07, PeterC wrote:

Anybody know what HiTech's IonMask is like for performance and durability

Rubbish.

Ta.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old 21-01-2013, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 16:27:28 -0000, Ophelia wrote:

"Alan Dicey" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 21/01/2013 14:07, PeterC wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 13:31:46 +0000, Alan Dicey wrote:

The "dubbin rots stitching" rumour has been going around since I were a
lad, so fifty years at least.

On my previous Scarpa Monte Rosa's I used the olive-oil treatment: pour
oil into one boot until it's full, leave until it starts to ooze out,
pour into other boot, ditto. Pour remaining oil into bottle for next
treatment, oil remaining in boot will sink into the leather. Obviously
you get your olive oil from the vet, not some extra virgin at the
supermarket.

ISTR castor oil being mentioned in here - was that so?

Peter, you're quite right it was castor oil. Oh, the embarassment . . .

Pretty cheeks though ... g

After the castor oil?
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old 21-01-2013, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

"PeterC" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 16:27:28 -0000, Ophelia wrote:

"Alan Dicey" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 21/01/2013 14:07, PeterC wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 13:31:46 +0000, Alan Dicey wrote:

The "dubbin rots stitching" rumour has been going around since I were
lad, so fifty years at least.

On my previous Scarpa Monte Rosa's I used the olive-oil treatment:
pour
oil into one boot until it's full, leave until it starts to ooze out,
pour into other boot, ditto. Pour remaining oil into bottle for next
treatment, oil remaining in boot will sink into the leather.
Obviously
you get your olive oil from the vet, not some extra virgin at the
supermarket.

ISTR castor oil being mentioned in here - was that so?

Peter, you're quite right it was castor oil. Oh, the embarassment . . .

Pretty cheeks though ... g

After the castor oil?

Pink cheeks ... "Oh, the embarassment"
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 21-01-2013, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
MP MP is offline

On 21/01/2013 14:53, Gordonbp wrote:
On 21/01/13 14:07, PeterC wrote:

Anybody know what HiTech's IonMask is like for performance and durability

Rubbish.

My sister bought a pair of HiTech's IonMask walking boots around £90 I think sorry can’t remember exactly which ones, but I do know she got very little wear out of them under 60 mile. As fair as I know the upper didn’t let water in but marked and cut very easily. But the worst thing was the soul very quickly came away from the leather upper allowing water in. I tried to persuade her to return them to the shop but because she walks so infrequently she said she had had them to long to take back.

MP

Old 22-01-2013, 12:56 AM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 23:46:34 +0000, MP wrote:

But the worst thing was the soul very quickly came away

They were possessed?
Old 22-01-2013, 12:59 AM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/13 00:56, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 23:46:34 +0000, MP wrote:

But the worst thing was the soul very quickly came away

They were possessed?

terrible case of asset stripping..

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Old 22-01-2013, 02:12 AM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

MP wrote
Gordonbp wrote
PeterC wrote

Anybody know what HiTech's IonMask is like for performance and
durability

Rubbish.

My sister bought a pair of HiTech's IonMask walking boots around £90 I
think sorry can’t remember exactly which ones, but I do know she got very
little wear out of them under 60 mile. As fair as I know the upper didn’t
let water in but marked and cut very easily. But the worst thing was the
soul very quickly came away from the leather upper allowing water in. I
tried to persuade her to return them to the shop but because she walks so
infrequently she said she had had them to long to take back.

I got some elastic sided boots and then decided not to wear them
essentially because they had very deep notches in the soles that
tended to pick up mud and were a damned nuisance for that reason.

Got some more and wore those every day in winter and when they
eventually died about a decade later, went back to those with the
very deep notches in the soles. Only wore them for a short time,
like a couple of weeks and had the soles crack right thru from
side to side.

I was pretty ****ed off about that because they had had
no real wear at all, so returned them to the manufacturer.
They said that they wouldn’t replace them because they
hadn't made them for a hell of a long time and so it was
too long ago, so I should **** off.

They have a web site that raves on about their commitment
to quality and were actually stupid enough to list the name
of the managing director on the web site. So I rang him up
and told him that I was very unhappy about that result given
what they said on the web site. He initially refused to do
anything about it, but eventually caved in and sent me
some new ones for free after I had chewed his ear for half
an hour or so and told him that the lace up boots I'd used
to build the house with hadn't split like that even in 30
years after I stopped wearing them because elastic sided
boots were much more convenient for daily wearing.

He did say that he hoped I wouldn’t take another decade
before I started using the new ones, and I didn’t, because
the replacements had a decent sole that didn’t pick up mud.
They did work pretty well and didn’t crack up like that this time.

Old 22-01-2013, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 21/01/13 14:07, PeterC wrote:

Anybody know what HiTech's IonMask is like for performance and
durability

Rubbish.

My sister bought a pair of HiTech's IonMask walking boots around £90 I
think sorry can’t remember exactly which ones, but I do know she got very
little wear out of them under 60 mile. As fair as I know the upper didn’t
let water in but marked and cut very easily. But the worst thing was the
soul very quickly came away from the leather upper allowing water in.
MP

Gave up the ghost eh?...:-)

Bill

Old 22-01-2013, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Alan Dicey wrote:

My experience with Goretex lined boots is that the lining lets in water
after a short while. I suspect it tears along the stitching attaching
the sole, but that's just a guess.

The claims often made for Goretex are complete twaddle, and it is
not fully waterproof even when intact. However, the rate at which
water can get through it is very low, so that would account only
for dampness. But the same applies to its breathability (which
fails in very wet or cold conditions), so water inside could be
condensed sweat.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Disagree entirely, My various boots, Berghaus, Meindle and Trail shoes all
of which had Goretex lnings all performed perfectly in wet conditions.

Bill