Old 22-02-2013, 12:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lidl cold frame - lids fall through

I wonder if anyone has bought and put together
the cold frame that Lidl is currently selling (in Ireland at least)?

The 2 lids on my frame are not large enough, as far as I can see.
The space is 24in deep, while each lid is 23.5in deep;
so the lids fall through the space.

There are some rubber seals provided with the frame,
which do not seem to be mentioned in the installation instructions,
but I do not see how these could cure the problem.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 22-02-2013, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris Hogg wrote:

I wonder if anyone has bought and put together
the cold frame that Lidl is currently selling (in Ireland at least)?

The 2 lids on my frame are not large enough, as far as I can see.
The space is 24in deep, while each lid is 23.5in deep;
so the lids fall through the space.

Not got one, but are you sure you've assembled it correctly? The
picture and description (http://tinyurl.com/bhh6a6o) say it's 59.5 cm
front-to-back, which is 23.4 inches, the size of your lid you say,
which suggests it should fit OK.

The distance from front to back is indeed 23.5 inches.
But the top is sloping, so the distance is a little more -
24 inches as I said.

I see also that the lids are hinged,
so have you got the hinge extrusion the right way round and the lids
fitting into the extrusion correctly?

I don't think these are proper hinges -
they are devices to hold the lids half- or fully-open.

If you fit the rubber seals, are
you sure it doesn't solve the problem? You're only half an inch short,
a gap that might well be taken up by a seal.

The rubber seals - which are not mentioned in the instructions -
are not wide enough to serve this purpose.
Admittedly their function is not very clear, to me at least.

But thanks for your attempts to help me.

Old 22-02-2013, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:

I wonder if anyone has bought and put together
the cold frame that Lidl is currently selling (in Ireland at least)?

The 2 lids on my frame are not large enough, as far as I can see.
The space is 24in deep, while each lid is 23.5in deep;
so the lids fall through the space.

There are some rubber seals provided with the frame,
which do not seem to be mentioned in the installation instructions,
but I do not see how these could cure the problem.

The rubber seals on the front and sides are there to close the gaps
along the lid. The rubber seal at the back is there to slide the lids
on
( acts as a hinge).

Thanks for your response.
I'll see if I can use the back seal in that way, as a hinge.
It certainly does not look as though it was intended for that purpose,
or it would surely have been made a little wider.

I'm beginning to wonder if the manufacturer found the lids
were not the correct size, and has added the seals to try to correct this.
The lids would be the correct size if one measures the base of the frame;
but the lids are sloping, which makes the space slightly (0.5in) larger.

Old 22-02-2013, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
Martin wrote:

[...]

Timothy I am assuming that you have built it with vertical sides and front,
but your last bit there has made me think. Have you/can you, build it upside
down so that the 'bottom' to you is in fact the 'top' which would make the
tops fit?

It means that the sides would be vertical but the front and the back sloping
towards the front.

Just a thought

Mike

Old 22-02-2013, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 19:20:44 +0000, Timothy Murphy
wrote:

I'll see if I can use the back seal in that way, as a hinge.
It certainly does not look as though it was intended for that purpose,
or it would surely have been made a little wider.

There's rubber and there's rubber. If the seals were designed to act
as a hinge thing then the type of rubber used should allow for that.
But otherwise, you risk the rubber deteriorating more rapidly than you
would want.

If the instructions make no reference to the rubber (and, TBH,
anything I've bought from Lidl has always had faultless instructions)
I would take the thing back within their no-quibble refund period
(assuming it hasn't expired). It might be too late in 3 months when
things fall apart.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.

Old 22-02-2013, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:

I wonder if anyone has bought and put together
the cold frame that Lidl is currently selling (in Ireland at least)?

The 2 lids on my frame are not large enough, as far as I can see.
The space is 24in deep, while each lid is 23.5in deep;
so the lids fall through the space.

There are some rubber seals provided with the frame,
which do not seem to be mentioned in the installation instructions,
but I do not see how these could cure the problem.

I'm beginning to wonder if the manufacturer found the lids
were not the correct size, and has added the seals to try to correct this.
The lids would be the correct size if one measures the base of the frame;
but the lids are sloping, which makes the space slightly (0.5in) larger.

My wife has assembled two Lidl cold frames. Everything fitted together

Could you ask her how deep (from back to front) the lids are, please?
Mine are 23.5in deep, while the sloping arm of the frame is 24in.

Old 22-02-2013, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/02/2013 22:40, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Martin wrote:

[...]

I just wonder if you have it inside out?
Old 23-02-2013, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

Martin wrote:

[...]

You mean the roof frame? Good idea.

or if he has fitted the roof panel as the back upright panel

Janet
Old 23-02-2013, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Martin wrote:

[...]

OK.

The solution is obvious then.

Just exchange wives
Old 23-02-2013, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:

I wonder if anyone has bought and put together
the cold frame that Lidl is currently selling (in Ireland at least)?

The 2 lids on my frame are not large enough, as far as I can see.
The space is 24in deep, while each lid is 23.5in deep;
so the lids fall through the space.

The solution is to either take it back and get a refund or assemble
the thing and stop wasting the time of people here; and no she is not
driving 6 miles to her allotment, pulling a cold frame apart to
measure dimensions, especially in this bitterly cold weather.

1. It isn't necessary to "pull the frame apart".
I am simply asking the length of the sloping arm
and the corresponding depth (back-to-front) of the lids.
This would take 10 seconds.

In my case the sloping arm is 24in long,
while the corresponding dimension of the lid is 23.5in.

2. You did not mention that your allotment - or your wife's allotment -
was 6 miles from your home.
That must be a very occasional hobby.

3. I know I could take the frame back. (I enquired about this at Lidl.)
But I quite like it, and would like to know if I erred in its installation,
or if there is something wrong with the batch of frames sent to Dublin.
I imagine the manufacture is automated, so it is hard to see
how some could have been made to the wrong size.

Old 23-02-2013, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/02/2013 13:17, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Martin wrote:

[...]

Any chance of a photo?
Old 23-02-2013, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:

[...]

Can you post couple of pictures of it.
Old 14-04-2013, 12:13 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hill View Post
Martin wrote:

[...]

Sorry for coming back so late to this debate, but I only came across the posts today while searching for a solution to the same problem. I found that one of the solutions suggested partially solved the problem. The larger of the two rubber seals under the twin lids does indeed act as a hinge. You simply slide the lids onto the rubber seal. You are still left with the problem of the lids flapping around in the wind. I have solved this problem by using a substantial rubber tree tie to secure each lid. This required drilling a hole in each lid and in the frame below. I hope this helps.

cold frame - fall, winter, spring greens in Ohio? Ohioguy Edible Gardening 1 27-11-2012 12:20 PM
Cold, Cold, Cold Dave Hill United Kingdom 18 12-12-2010 01:29 PM
55 Gallon Drum Lids ~ jan JJsPond.us Ponds 3 27-07-2005 06:10 AM
Pump housing lids Oingofan Ponds 5 01-04-2003 08:56 PM
Using water as thermal storage in cold frame Trace Curry Edible Gardening 8 18-02-2003 06:03 AM