Old 13-04-2013, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Compost?

I wonder do people use the seedling specific composts for starting off seeds or
just use the general purpose stuff?

Old 13-04-2013, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/04/2013 15:34, Judith in England wrote:

I wonder do people use the seedling specific composts for starting off seeds or
just use the general purpose stuff?

Depends on the seed. Most compost is just too coarse for small seeds.

I have just germinated 60+ sweet pea seeds between sheets of damp
kitchen roll and a layer of bubble wrap. Beats the hell out of all that
messing around with pots. I have dropped some of the seedlings straight
in the soil, so we'll see what happens. Not a single failure by the way :-)
Old 13-04-2013, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in England" wrote in message

I wonder do people use the seedling specific composts for starting off seeds
or
just use the general purpose stuff?

The Gardener says she uses Seed and Cutting Compost for seeds and cuttings.

Mike

Old 13-04-2013, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 15:34:57 +0100, Judith in England
wrote:

I wonder do people use the seedling specific composts for starting off seeds or
just use the general purpose stuff?

After a bit of experimenting, I now use a 2:1 mix of seed compost and
coir. If I cover seeds, I always use vermiculite, never compost.

I've used both pure coir and pure seed compost in the past and had
reasonable results but I find I get better germination rates and far
better root growth with the mix I now use.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East end of Swansea Bay where the
showers of April have arrived!
Old 13-04-2013, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/04/2013 15:34, Judith in England wrote:

I wonder do people use the seedling specific composts for starting off seeds or
just use the general purpose stuff?

I always used B & Q multi-purpose compost, put thorough a 1cm sieve then
with 1 part to 6 of medium Perlite added.
Now having bought bales of peat I will be mixing my own since they
ruined B & Q compost last year.
Regarding covering seeds, some seeds require light to germinate, these I
either cover with perlite or sow onto a covering of perlite, (You could
use vermiculite). then a sheet of glass.
Seeds that require darkness I cover with compost then glass then paper.

Old 14-04-2013, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I wonder do people use the seedling specific composts for starting off seeds or
just use the general purpose stuff?

Our Fuchsia society had a visit from David Coop, a representative of
'Westland's' (he works on new projects and improving their products)
He bought with him all the different types of composts that his firm
produced, and spent time explaining the differences and why one was
better than the other for a particular task. Yes he promoted
'wetlands' but by the end of two hours with all the questions /
answers he had only completed half his 'session' and so was invited
back to complete a most informative talk.
His main job is training Garden Enter staff , but if you have a chance
to attend a 'talk' you will not be disappointed.

-
-
-
Lincolnfuchsiasociety.info

(Any Olympic GameMakers here?)
Old 14-04-2013, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

stuart noble wrote:
I have just germinated 60+ sweet pea seeds between sheets of damp
kitchen roll and a layer of bubble wrap. Beats the hell out of all that
messing around with pots. I have dropped some of the seedlings straight
in the soil, so we'll see what happens. Not a single failure by the way :-)

I always* do my sweet peas in root trainers. They seem to enjoy it!
Old 14-04-2013, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in England wrote in
:

I wonder do people use the seedling specific composts for starting off
seeds or just use the general purpose stuff?

Best results I have had is to sow the smaller seed, such as brassicas, in
trays of soil from the garden. When they have 2 nice leafs and you are
confident they can be pricked out into compost of any kind IMO.
After that the world is your lobster!

Baz
Old 16-04-2013, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 15:34:57 +0100, Judith in England wrote:

I wonder do people use the seedling specific composts for starting off
seeds or just use the general purpose stuff?

Up until last year I always used a multi-purpose compost for everything.
At one time GroBags were much cheaper than bagged compost so I always used
those.]

With the very variable weather last year I had several germination
failures for small seeds such as tomatoes, and after much searching
managed to find some seed compost.
[They don't seem to stock it much in the sheds, for some reason.]

I had good germination with this, but then again the weather had improved.

I find the peat free multi-purpose composts far too coarse for germinating
small seeds.
I suppose that the peat gives a fineness to the compost that hasn't been
matched by other means yet.

Anyway, I would suggest seed compost for small seeds and almost anything
for larger ones.

Cheers

Dave R
Old 16-04-2013, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Avoid local authority free compost. We have patches of celandines
growing where we used free compost in the garden.

A very under rated garden flower.
Celandines can really light up a garden in early spring in the right place
Old 16-04-2013, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin wrote:

Avoid local authority free compost. We have patches of celandines
growing where we used free compost in the garden.

"Free compost" from the Council? I can tell you live in Holland! Our
lot sell it back to us at ?3.00 a bag (to be accurate, the contractor,
SITA, sells it back to us).

(Not particularly complaining about SITA by the way: the refuse site is
a paragon of cleanliness, efficiency and convenience.)

John