Old 17-04-2013, 11:18 AM posted to alt.politics.uk,alt.politics.british,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

Default Simple explanation of Thatchers legacy.

Is it possible to explain to say a child what the legacy of M.Thatcher was
in simple terms?

1. Making trade unions more democratic
2. Not allowing one sided nuclear disarmament.
3. Clearing out some of the influence of the old land owning classes.

Any others spring to mind?

Old 17-04-2013, 11:23 AM posted to alt.politics.uk,alt.politics.british,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

"andy ston" wrote in message ...

Is it possible to explain to say a child what the legacy of M.Thatcher was
in simple terms?

1. Making trade unions more democratic
2. Not allowing one sided nuclear disarmament.
3. Clearing out some of the influence of the old land owning classes.

Any others spring to mind?

.................................................. ......

Yes. She nearly succeeded in what Hitler tried to do. Bring Great Britain to
its knees.

Old 17-04-2013, 12:15 PM posted to alt.politics.uk,alt.politics.british,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

On 17/04/2013 11:23, 'Mike' wrote:

"andy ston" wrote in message ...

Is it possible to explain to say a child what the legacy of M.Thatcher was
in simple terms?

1. Making trade unions more democratic
2. Not allowing one sided nuclear disarmament.
3. Clearing out some of the influence of the old land owning classes.

Any others spring to mind?

.................................................. .....

Yes. She nearly succeeded in what Hitler tried to do. Bring Great
Britain to its knees.

Stopped children' school milk.

Old 17-04-2013, 12:47 PM posted to alt.politics.uk,alt.politics.british,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote in
:

On 17/04/2013 11:23, 'Mike' wrote:

"andy ston" wrote in message ...

Is it possible to explain to say a child what the legacy of
M.Thatcher was in simple terms?

1. Making trade unions more democratic
2. Not allowing one sided nuclear disarmament.
3. Clearing out some of the influence of the old land owning
classes.

Any others spring to mind?

.................................................. .....

Yes. She nearly succeeded in what Hitler tried to do. Bring Great
Britain to its knees.

Stopped children' school milk.

Thatcher, the milk snatcher. I never would have thought that I would be
glad hearing that someone died. I am not glad, just releived of that horrid
thing.

Baz

Old 17-04-2013, 12:48 PM posted to alt.politics.uk,alt.politics.british,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 11:23:25 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

"andy ston" wrote in message ...

Is it possible to explain to say a child what the legacy of M.Thatcher was
in simple terms?

1. Making trade unions more democratic
2. Not allowing one sided nuclear disarmament.
3. Clearing out some of the influence of the old land owning classes.

Any others spring to mind?

................................................. ......

Yes. She nearly succeeded in what Hitler tried to do. Bring Great Britain to
its knees.

4. Created a target for incompetent company owners to blame, when they
failed to keep their business running.
Old 17-04-2013, 12:54 PM posted to alt.politics.uk,alt.politics.british,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"andy ston" wrote in message ...

Is it possible to explain to say a child what the legacy of M.Thatcher was
in simple terms?

1. Making trade unions more democratic
2. Not allowing one sided nuclear disarmament.
3. Clearing out some of the influence of the old land owning classes.

Any others spring to mind?

................................................. ......

Yes. She nearly succeeded in what Hitler tried to do. Bring Great Britain
its knees.

4. Created a target for incompetent company owners to blame, when they
failed to keep their business running.

Quite right ^^^^ Majority of companies affected were 'running on empty' long
before she gave them a reality check!

Old 17-04-2013, 01:05 PM posted to alt.politics.uk,alt.politics.british,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:
"andy ston" wrote in message ...

Is it possible to explain to say a child what the legacy of
M.Thatcher was in simple terms?

1. Making trade unions more democratic
2. Not allowing one sided nuclear disarmament.
3. Clearing out some of the influence of the old land owning classes.

Any others spring to mind?

.................................................. .....

Yes. She nearly succeeded in what Hitler tried to do. Bring Great
Britain to its knees.

Ah - you mean what NewLab has just succeeded in doing.

--
Iain

Old 17-04-2013, 01:44 PM posted to alt.politics.uk,alt.politics.british,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

"andy ston" wrote ...

Is it possible to explain to say a child what the legacy of M.Thatcher was
in simple terms?

1. Making trade unions more democratic
2. Not allowing one sided nuclear disarmament.
3. Clearing out some of the influence of the old land owning classes.

Any others spring to mind?

Put the Great back in Britain.
Stopped us being called the "sick man of Europe" which we certainly were.
Got rampant inflation under control (remember 26% inflation?).
Got the countries finances under control.
Won three election the last with a bigger majority.
Bit the bullet and got rid of uneconomic industries that had only survived
with taxpayers money. (harsh but true)
Increased Industrial and coal production over her terms. (surprising to
some)

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 17-04-2013, 01:55 PM posted to alt.politics.uk,alt.politics.british,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

Organised the sorting of the argies - got to be one of the leading legacy
factors.

I have a reminder of this, a Vulcan bomber, featuring on my humble pc desk.

Pete

Old 17-04-2013, 05:56 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy ston View Post
Is it possible to explain to say a child what the legacy of M.Thatcher was
in simple terms?

1. Making trade unions more democratic
2. Not allowing one sided nuclear disarmament.
3. Clearing out some of the influence of the old land owning classes.

Any others spring to mind?
On the plus side, she created a recognition that you can only afford a welfare state if you have a vibrant private economy producing the wealth that can be spent on delivering the welfare. And unleashed the financial industry to deliver finance to create a new economy.

On the negative side, she caused far more hardship than was necessary, caused social divisions and inequality greater than advisable,
failed to provide the training and investment to put the unemployed back to useful work in the short term, and failed to appreciate the engineering and technological expertise that could have given us an economy more like Germany's if properly supported.

She promoted yes-men and sacked the competent and both by that and the divisiveness of her policies made the conservative party unelectable for a generation. Gordon Brown has just done something similar in the labour party.
Old 17-04-2013, 09:42 PM posted to alt.politics.uk,alt.politics.british,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

"andy ston" wrote in message
Is it possible to explain to say a child what the legacy of M.Thatcher was
in simple terms?

1. Making trade unions more democratic
2. Not allowing one sided nuclear disarmament.
3. Clearing out some of the influence of the old land owning classes.

Any others spring to mind?

I'm not going there. Whether or not we liked her policies she was a fine
strong woman. I was with her during the Falklands war because all the
islanders want to be British.
I remember it well when the Argentines put their flag up on the Falklands.
I was at work at the time and I said to my colleagues "this will be very
serious"
It was war. Whether it was right I don't know.
Argentina claim the Failkland Islands are theirs. Britain claims the
Faulklands are theirs, islanders identify as British.
I see this going on and on.
Simple. The islanders are all very clear they are British so bad luck
Argentina when Maggie bombed you to bits.

I can't say I agreed with her all the time, she starved the miners back to
work as she said they were holding the country to ransom.
Nevertheless she was a remarkable politician. First female prime minister
we ever had and I hope we have another.
Hey, she was fiercer than me..

Old 17-04-2013, 10:15 PM posted to alt.politics.uk,alt.politics.british,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

On 17/04/2013 21:42, Christina Websell wrote:
"andy ston" wrote in message
[...]

In truth she cared litle more about the Falklands than she did for the
miners. The Falklands War was all about saving her political skin.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2005/jun/28/falklands.past
Old 17-04-2013, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Before commenting on the topic - some thought
should be considered as to spelling of the subject in hand
and your accurate description of the events that occurred.

"It was war. Whether it was right I don't know.
Argentina claim the Failkland Islands are theirs. Britain claims the
Faulklands are theirs, islanders identify as British.
I see this going on and on.
Simple. The islanders are all very clear they are British so bad luck
Argentina when Maggie bombed you to bits. "

C.W.

They are the Falkland Islands.
They are British.
Luck has no part in it.
Mrs. Thatcher did not bomb anybody "to bits".

Pete

Old 17-04-2013, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Farmer Giles" wrote in message
o.uk...

In truth she cared litle more about the Falklands than she did for the
miners. The Falklands War was all about saving her political skin.

Wrong -- Mr Giles !
She was correct in sorting out both in the manners executed.
She cared for both. Only one was worthy of saving.

Pete