Old 17-04-2013, 10:51 PM posted to alt.politics.uk,alt.politics.british,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

Default Simple explanation of Thatchers legacy.

On Apr 17, 10:15*pm, Farmer Giles wrote:
On 17/04/2013 21:42, Christina Websell wrote:

"andy ston" wrote in message
Is it possible to explain to say a child what the legacy of M.Thatcher was
in simple terms?

1. *Making trade unions more democratic
2. *Not allowing one sided nuclear disarmament.
3. *Clearing out some of the influence of the old land owning classes.

Any others spring to mind?

I'm not going there. *Whether or not we liked her policies she was a fine
strong woman. *I was with her during *the Falklands war because all the
islanders want to be British.
I remember it well when the Argentines put their flag up on the Falklands.
I was at work at the time and I said to my colleagues "this will be very
serious"
It was war. *Whether it was right I don't know.
Argentina claim the Failkland Islands are theirs. *Britain claims the
Faulklands are theirs, islanders identify as British.
I see this going on and on.
Simple. *The islanders are all very clear they are British so bad luck
Argentina when Maggie bombed you to bits.

I can't say I agreed with her all the time, she starved the miners back to
work as she said they were holding the country to ransom.
Nevertheless she was a remarkable politician. *First female prime minister
we ever had and I hope we have another.
Hey, she was fiercer than me..

In truth she cared litle more about the Falklands than she did for the
miners. The Falklands War was all about saving her political skin.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2005/ju...alklands.past- Hide quoted text -

Thatacher's funeral service was apt today - it summed up her reign -
surrounded by guns, military hardware and instruments of death. This
was the Iron Lady. The human steam roller. She was mad but we are
mad too for tolerating such emotionally cold and dysfunctional
politicians.

Turk182
Old 17-04-2013, 10:57 PM posted to alt.politics.uk,alt.politics.british,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

"andy ston" wrote in message
[...]

You're right Turk. And that fits Hitler too. Two of a kind

Mike

Old 17-04-2013, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
"andy ston" wrote ...

Is it possible to explain to say a child what the legacy of
M.Thatcher was in simple terms?

1. Making trade unions more democratic
2. Not allowing one sided nuclear disarmament.
3. Clearing out some of the influence of the old land owning
classes. Any others spring to mind?

Put the Great back in Britain.

Yep, a country of great greedy *******s - and sod the rest of us!

Stopped us being called the "sick man of Europe" which we certainly

And made us the 'sick man' of the rest of the world with her policies!

were. Got rampant inflation under control (remember 26% inflation?).

Yep by increasing VAT from 8% to 17.5%, (which included utilities at that
rate) slamming up my income tax and NI insurance payments, etc, etc!

Got the countries finances under control.

Yep, sold off the gas, electricity, water and railway companies to the
highest (foreign in general) bidder to do that!

Won three election the last with a bigger majority.

Sne *NEVER* won a majority of the people vote - her 'wins' IIRC were
actually won on low percentage turn-outs!

Bit the bullet and got rid of uneconomic industries that had only
survived with taxpayers money. (harsh but true)

She not only did that, but she also forced economic firms to close as
ell - and to replace them with the thieving banking system that we now have
(exacerbated by new labours policies)

Increased Industrial and coal production over her terms. (surprising
to some)

Yep she closed the countries mines and sold off the steel plants - and
increased the imports of these from China etc.

She did well didn't she, brought out a new 'class' of people called YUPPIES
and then when she closed the factories, mines and steelworks, she paid for
their dole and benefits by using the money the country made from North Sea
oil and gas - and when the dole queues became too long, she massaged the
figures by telling the medical profession to take them off the dole and sign
them onto the newly invented (just for her) invalidity benefit - thus
starting of the 'benefit culture) that the three stooges we now have in
power are rather clusmsily trying to stop.

No, Maggie wasn't great - just a bloody con artist.- and I won't go into the
other things that she tried to cover-up.

Old 17-04-2013, 11:21 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

"andy ston" wrote in message
Is it possible to explain to say a child what the legacy of M.Thatcher was
in simple terms?

1. Making trade unions more democratic
2. Not allowing one sided nuclear disarmament.
3. Clearing out some of the influence of the old land owning classes.

Any others spring to mind?

She picked the country up out of the gutter, and stood it on it's own two
feet. The rubbish was piling up in the streets, bodied were being stored in
refrigerated trucks because they weren't getting buried, etc etc. In theory
we had a manufacturing industry, but really we didn't, because it was always
on strike. And if they did inadvertently manage to make anything, nobody
would buy it because it was crap and the wheels fell off.

She stood up to the bullies, within and without, and left the country in a
better state than she found it.

Rest in peace Maggie, you've earned it.

Steve

Old 18-04-2013, 12:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete" wrote in message

Before commenting on the topic - some thought should be considered as to
spelling of the subject in hand
and your accurate description of the events that occurred.

"It was war. Whether it was right I don't know.
Argentina claim the Failkland Islands are theirs. Britain claims the
Faulklands are theirs, islanders identify as British.
I see this going on and on.
Simple. The islanders are all very clear they are British so bad luck
Argentina when Maggie bombed you to bits. "

C.W.

They are the Falkland Islands.
They are British.
Luck has no part in it.
Mrs. Thatcher did not bomb anybody "to bits".

Pete

I think a ship?
anyway she wasn't going to have Argentina putting their flag up on the
Falklands and I admired her for that.

I knew when I saw a little paragraph in a newspaper "Argentina have planted
their flag in the Falklands", that this would be war.
I was right up there with her.

We can argue for ever about who the Falklands Islands belonged to once
centuries ago, but they feel they are British and that's enough for a
fight.

anyway we won.
Whether it was worth the loss of lives? I don't know but Simon Weston was
there, he got horribly burnt when his ship got attacked but he was there for
her funeral.

Margaret Thatcher was/is a good role model for girls.
We Can Be Prime Minister!

Old 18-04-2013, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Let It Be" wrote in
:

Bob Hobden wrote:
"andy ston" wrote ...

[...]

Well said. All of it.
I live in an ex steel town, also close to a ex coal mining town.
We don't mine iron ore any more, we don't use coal for the blast furnaces
anymore. We are a manufacturing community who have been tought how to
fill in or out a form at the unemployment office.
Thank god I was young enough to leave school and actually get a job.

Baz
Old 18-04-2013, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 13:35:29 GMT, Baz wrote:

"Let It Be" wrote in
:

Bob Hobden wrote:
"andy ston" wrote ...

[...]

I didn't think we ever did mine iron ore. It was all imported wasn't
it?
Old 18-04-2013, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/04/2013 15:00, Fuschia wrote:
On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 13:35:29 GMT, Baz wrote:

"Let It Be" wrote in
:

Bob Hobden wrote:
"andy ston" wrote ...

[...]

Yes, the Romans mined a lot
Old 18-04-2013, 03:26 PM posted to alt.politics.uk,alt.politics.british,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

How about this.

Those pictures of North Korea.

Well before Thatcher that's how half of Germany, Europe and the whole
of Russia looked before she came along.

Then she was a big part of the reason why those places no longer look
as if the loonies took over the asylum and why Scargill cries himself
to sleep every night.

She also inherited a basket case UK economy, that had required an IMF
bailout, which by the end of the follow on Major government had been
transformed it into the fourth richest country in the world, with the
fourth largest (by value) manufacturing sector to go with it.

Then along came Gordon Brown and ****** it all up again.
Old 18-04-2013, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Fuschia wrote in
:

On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 13:35:29 GMT, Baz wrote:

"Let It Be" wrote in
:

Bob Hobden wrote:
"andy ston" wrote ...

[...]

A BIG no. Thousands of tons were mined from my hometown, S****horpe,
every week. Dragonby, Santon and Winterton mines enployed 3400 in the
50's and 60's. NOTHING was imported. We, as a town supplied the world
with 72% of its iron ore.

The link below will give you a lighthearted description of what has
become of this once productive town.

http://mirror.uncyc.org/wiki/S****horpe

Of course when Thatcher sold our town it was left up to us to buy back
the iron ore which we had previously sold. At a massive loss. Just to
keep the furnaces fed for a year or two. The town died as a result of
mass reduncies from British Steel.
Baz

Old 18-04-2013, 04:15 PM posted to alt.politics.uk,alt.politics.british,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

"allan tracy" wrote in message

How about this.

Those pictures of North Korea.

Well before Thatcher that's how half of Germany, Europe and the whole
of Russia looked before she came along.

Then she was a big part of the reason why those places no longer look
as if the loonies took over the asylum and why Scargill cries himself
to sleep every night.

She also inherited a basket case UK economy, that had required an IMF
bailout, which by the end of the follow on Major government had been
transformed it into the fourth richest country in the world, with the
fourth largest (by value) manufacturing sector to go with it.

Then along came Gordon Brown and ****** it all up again.

Exactly Allan, the main reason the industries disappeared from the north
were the unions who felt they could rule the country and hold it to ransom.
They instilled into the British workforce that you could get paid for doing
next to nothing and what you did do, do it in a shoddy way. The death of
manufacturing in this country can be laid firmly at the union's and poor
management's doors. All Maggie did was put a stop to this madness.

Old 18-04-2013, 04:17 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuschia[_3_] View Post
I didn't think we ever did mine iron ore.
The Hodbarrow iron ore mines near Millom in SW Cumbria, which operated from ca1850-1968, were one of the largest in Europe in the latter half of 19th century.
Old 18-04-2013, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

When I worked at Llanwern Steel Works in the 1960s iron ore was
imported from Sweden, but the coal used to make coke came from Welsh
mines.

As well as some from US of A
Old 18-04-2013, 09:20 PM posted to alt.politics.uk,alt.politics.british,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

Well like her or not she's been laid to rest, so lets do the same with
this topic.
We've had a burst of party politics which are not really why any of us
come here.

As an aside............
They talk about turning over in your grave.
If you have been cremated do you have a little dust devil over where
your ashes are scattered?
David @ the blustery end of Swansea Bay
Old 19-04-2013, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin
writes
Yes, the Romans mined a lot

The Old
Rhine was the northern frontier of the Roman Empire. It joined the sea
at what was Brittenburg and is now Katwijk due west of Leiden.

Funny - I always thought that Britain was further north than that. And
that the various walls were, at various times, the most northerly
frontiers of Empire.

And I seem to recall that iron ore was mined during the industrial
revolution as well as Roman times? I can't recall when it stopped.

--
regards andyw