Old 19-04-2013, 02:49 AM
Registered User

Default Catmint/cat grass

Hi,

Can anyone, very simply, please direct me as to how I would go about growing this?

I've pretty much never grown anything...However I would like to liven the garden up for our cat - which is unfortunately mostly concrete meaning most of this would need to be in pots or planters - and would also maybe like to also add something like valerian or lavender.

What exactly do I need? I'm thinking of buying this wishing well planter which I think probably has about an 40-50cm diameter, would I be able to grow catmint/grass in something like that or is it would it be too big? I seem to only see it in little pots...

Tx
Old 19-04-2013, 08:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 01:49:36 +0000, Nehemiah
wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone, very simply, please direct me as to how I would go about
growing this?

I've pretty much never grown anything...However I would like to liven
the garden up for our cat - which is unfortunately mostly concrete
meaning most of this would need to be in pots or planters - and would
also maybe like to also add something like valerian or lavender.

What exactly do I need? I'm thinking of buying this wishing well planter
which I think probably has about an 40-50cm diameter, would I be able to
grow catmint/grass in something like that or is it would it be too big?
I seem to only see it in little pots...

Tx

You're talking about two different plants. Catmint (nepeta, sometimes
called catnip) is a flowering plant that cats seem to love rolling in.
I grow a few plants which, although perennial, need to be replaced
each year as resident cat curls up on them in the sun and smothers
them. But it's really a ground plant.

Cat grass is grown indoors. Search for "cat grass" at Amazon. It's
used as a digestive aid, in my case as an alternative to resident cat
destroying my miscanthus. You generally buy it as a little tub which
seems to be filled with nothing but vermiculite. Add water and place
the tub somewhere warm and light but out of direct sunlight. A week
later and you have 6" tall grass. Then put the tub somewhere on the
floor and if your cat's anything like mine, you soon have an empty tub
and a floor covered in vermiculite

Only thing to remember is that your cat may not like one or both
plants. Cats are like that!

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East end of Swansea Bay where the
showers of April have arrived!
Old 19-04-2013, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Some cats go wild around cat mint others just ignore it I remember
selling a very large plant in a 9 inch pot to a lady, the next week she
was back wanting to know if I had another as her cat had destroyed the
first.
My cat would just walk past, no reaction.
As for cat grass, it's something to help their digestion, a form of
wheat mostly.
For the best buy try
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60g-WHEATG...e#ht_644wt_722
just grow a potful a week.
Old 19-04-2013, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote:

Some cats go wild around cat mint others just ignore it I remember
selling a very large plant in a 9 inch pot to a lady, the next week she
was back wanting to know if I had another as her cat had destroyed the
first.

I once had that experience; after local cats ate the catnip to the ground,
I made a cage of heavy hardware cloth (wire mesh, if it doesn't translate
well), and staked it down over the clump of plants. Next morning, the
badly bashed cage was several feet away, and the catnip gone. We decided
we didn't want to meet the cat that did THAT on a dark night!

Old 19-04-2013, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

ON GQT some years ago Bob Flowerdew suggested putting an wire hanging
basket upturned over a catmint plant, thus preventing the cat
completely crushing the plant. I've not tried it.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East end of Swansea Bay where the
showers of April have arrived!

Pam in Bristol

Old 20-04-2013, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , nospamigg1937
@yahoo.co.uk says...

wrote:

[...]

The only way we found to keep cats away from it was to grow it _in_ a
hanging basket placed entirely out of any cat's reach.

--
Sam

Is a animal chaser/cat utrasonic cat deterrent harmful? [email protected] United Kingdom 3 21-04-2015 09:40 AM
Growing grass for cat & artificial light Paul Gardening 6 09-04-2011 05:29 PM
cat grass Philippe Gautier United Kingdom 10 01-07-2003 02:11 PM
Cat Grass! H United Kingdom 27 11-02-2003 05:26 PM
Cat Grass! Andy United Kingdom 5 07-02-2003 01:20 AM