Old 06-02-2003, 10:34 AM

Default Cat Grass!

Could be for people who keey cats in flats or houses without gardens? Or
maybe it is just that some wholesale nursery has a very good sales
department!

I grow grass for my cats. I keep my cats restricted to inside the house and
in the cat 'pen' ... a 2m tall enclosure which runs down the side of my
house, filled with loads of tunnels, ramps, ledges, trees, hiding places,
hammocks (!), logs, etc.

If they went out, they would be killed on the road.

- h

Old 06-02-2003, 11:27 AM

I guess Homebase will be selling miniature lawn mowers to cut it next!

Nope ... that's what the cats do!

Old 06-02-2003, 03:50 PM
dave @ stejonda

In message , H
writes
I guess Homebase will be selling miniature lawn mowers to cut it next!

Nope ... that's what the cats do!

what, sell lawn mowers? - yours might, mine just does usual cat things.

--
dave @ stejonda
Old 06-02-2003, 04:11 PM

I guess Homebase will be selling miniature lawn mowers to cut it next!

Nope ... that's what the cats do!

what, sell lawn mowers? - yours might, mine just does usual cat things.

Mine can be very intelligent ;-)

Old 06-02-2003, 04:57 PM
Gary Woods

Andy wrote:

Cat grass, that's what. The packet displayed
a picture of a bowl with grass growing in it, along with a
smug looking cat and the blurb 'Special indoor grass for
your cat.' or some such nonsense.

Oats. Also used by the decorator types for fast-growing "grass" for easter
decoration.

Our local garden club hands out small bags of it at the spring flower show.
Couldn't be cheaper, if you buy a sack of it at the local farm supply.

Old 06-02-2003, 07:09 PM
Andy

On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 16:57:24 GMT, Gary Woods
wrote:

Andy wrote:

Cat grass, that's what. The packet displayed
a picture of a bowl with grass growing in it, along with a
smug looking cat and the blurb 'Special indoor grass for
your cat.' or some such nonsense.

Oats. Also used by the decorator types for fast-growing "grass" for easter
decoration.

Our local garden club hands out small bags of it at the spring flower show.
Couldn't be cheaper, if you buy a sack of it at the local farm supply.

So what's the connection with cats? Why not gerbil or hamster grass?

Oh no! I only posted it for a laugh; now I really want to know.

Andy
Old 06-02-2003, 08:11 PM
dave @ stejonda

In message , Andy
writes
So what's the connection with cats?

cats seem to eat grass as an emetic - to help them regurgitate fur balls

--
dave @ stejonda

Alternative Global News : http://commondreams.org//
Old 06-02-2003, 10:24 PM
snafu steve

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
news
In article , Andy p.panter@
REMOVESPAMTRAP.ntl.com writes

So what's the connection with cats? Why not gerbil or hamster grass?

Oh no! I only posted it for a laugh; now I really want to know.

gerbils and hamsters don't need grass in their diets.

Cats chew grass - I don't think it's really clear why, may be something
to do with digestion - often seems to stimulate them to regurgitate
furballs.

If they don't have grass available, then they will often turn to
houseplants instead.

So fill your house with Dieffenbachia and don't let the cat out : -))

Steve ( in devilish mood)

Old 06-02-2003, 10:28 PM

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
news ....
Cats chew grass - I don't think it's really clear why, may be something
to do with digestion - often seems to stimulate them to regurgitate
furballs.

If they don't have grass available, then they will often turn to
houseplants instead.

So it's suggested that indoor cats should have a tray of grass
available.

Not that I've ever known one that actually eats the stuff sold as cat grass.

Colin Bignell

Old 07-02-2003, 08:14 AM
Druss

"Jack" wrote in message
Slightly OT, but a friend of mine had an "indoor cat" that she had trained
to actually use her toilet. She had put a baby toilet seat thing on it

and
the cat jumped on top and did its business in the loo!

When I was younger, we had a cat which had taught itself to do this,
apparently one day my mother walked in to the downstairs loo only to find
the cat perched on the edge of the bowl doing it's business, and of course
we all had a real good laugh and checked the gin bottle. However a few weeks
later my brother had exactly the same experience, so naturally we assumed
his pocket money had got up strangely, just as corroborating evidence was
necessary, finally a couple of months after that I myself caught the cat at
it !!! amazing things cats.

Duncan

Old 07-02-2003, 08:52 AM
dave @ stejonda

In message , Druss
writes
a few weeks later my brother had exactly the same experience, so
naturally we assumed his pocket money had got up strangely

please explain this peculiar expression

Old 07-02-2003, 11:03 AM
Druss

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
In message , Druss
writes
a few weeks later my brother had exactly the same experience, so
naturally we assumed his pocket money had got up strangely

please explain this peculiar expression

--
dave @ stejonda

Alternative Global News : http://commondreams.org//

Sorry all I meant was we suspected my mother had finally bribed someone into
saying they'd seen the cat in the same circumstances. ;-)

Old 07-02-2003, 11:36 AM
Rhiannon Macfie Miller

It was a dark and stormy night, and as the people of uk.rec.gardening
huddled around the fire, Druss told them this story:

When I was younger, we had a cat which had taught itself to do this,
apparently one day my mother walked in to the downstairs loo only to find
the cat perched on the edge of the bowl doing it's business, and of course
we all had a real good laugh and checked the gin bottle. However a few weeks
later my brother had exactly the same experience, so naturally we assumed
his pocket money had got up strangely, just as corroborating evidence was
necessary, finally a couple of months after that I myself caught the cat at
it !!! amazing things cats.

Ah, but did it flush?

Rhiannon

Old 07-02-2003, 11:36 AM
dave @ stejonda

In message , Druss
writes
"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
In message , Druss
writes
a few weeks later my brother had exactly the same experience, so
naturally we assumed his pocket money had got up strangely

please explain this peculiar expression

Sorry all I meant was we suspected my mother had finally bribed someone into
saying they'd seen the cat in the same circumstances. ;-)

No need to apologise - I just hadn't met that phrasing before.

--
dave @ stejonda
Old 07-02-2003, 12:38 PM
Warwick Michael Dumas

nightjar wrote in message ...
"Kay Easton" wrote in message
news ...
Cats chew grass - I don't think it's really clear why, may be something
to do with digestion - often seems to stimulate them to regurgitate
furballs.

If they don't have grass available, then they will often turn to
houseplants instead.

So it's suggested that indoor cats should have a tray of grass
available.

Not that I've ever known one that actually eats the stuff sold as cat grass.

Yes, I can confirm from a position of considerable experience in this
area, cats DO NOT EAT cat grass (Avena Sativa), for which I once paid
about 3 quid for about a seed tray's worth. Catnip, on the other hand,
I intend to investigate.

Niniane seems to like Homebase Shady Lawn. Never seen Merlin eating
grass. What they like is for the grass to grow about 1ft long - the
length is probably more important than the kind of grass.

Warwick Dumas

Website more or less finished:
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/warwickdumas