Old 30-06-2003, 09:20 AM
Philippe Gautier

Default cat grass

Slightly OT. My mother asked me if I can find for her seeds for the "cat
grass" that you can find in Pet shops. After a google search it appears
that it is simply wheat or oat. I've looked for that in several garden
center without any success. Any idea where I can buy wheat or oat seeds,
rather than paying a fortune for a few seeds in a plastic tray sold as
"cat grass kit"?

thanks

Philippe

Old 30-06-2003, 10:44 AM
DaveDay34

Any idea where I can buy wheat or oat seeds,
rather than paying a fortune for a few seeds in a plastic tray sold as
"cat grass kit"?

thanks

Philippe

Try Sainsbury's. I've seen them selling seeds on a rack by the door which
includes packets of 'cat grass'. No plastic tray, bag of dirt, etc. Just the
price of a packet of seeds.

Dave.
Old 30-06-2003, 11:32 AM
Philippe Gautier

DaveDay34 wrote:
Any idea where I can buy wheat or oat seeds,
rather than paying a fortune for a few seeds in a plastic tray sold as
"cat grass kit"?

thanks

Philippe

Try Sainsbury's. I've seen them selling seeds on a rack by the door which
includes packets of 'cat grass'. No plastic tray, bag of dirt, etc. Just the
price of a packet of seeds.

Dave.

Didn't think of looking there. Thanks!

Old 30-06-2003, 09:56 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Victoria Clare contains these words:

One of my cats ate some the other day, then was sick,

But surely that's why cats eat grass, for its emetic effect. So do
dogs; eating grass is always a sign that they feel off colour and are
seeking relief. Ours seek out that soft creeping grass with a wide
blade, and are usually sick almost immediately after eating it.

Janet.

Old 30-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Elizabeth

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Victoria Clare contains these words:

One of my cats ate some the other day, then was sick,

But surely that's why cats eat grass, for its emetic effect. So do
dogs; eating grass is always a sign that they feel off colour and are
seeking relief. Ours seek out that soft creeping grass with a wide
blade, and are usually sick almost immediately after eating it.

Ours eat it every day and aren't sick afterwards. They also have very dense
fur but never have problems with hairballs, so I'm guessing that the grass
helps them keep all that fur under control in their stomachs.

Elizabeth

Old 01-07-2003, 09:25 AM
Chris Norton

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 09:14:19 +0100, Philippe Gautier
wrote:

Slightly OT. My mother asked me if I can find for her seeds for the "cat
grass" that you can find in Pet shops. After a google search it appears
that it is simply wheat or oat. I've looked for that in several garden
center without any success. Any idea where I can buy wheat or oat seeds,
rather than paying a fortune for a few seeds in a plastic tray sold as
"cat grass kit"?

thanks

Philippe

I got a packet of seeds from Wyevales this year. Why go for all this
plastic tray stuff?
Old 01-07-2003, 02:10 PM
sw

Elizabeth wrote:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Victoria Clare contains these words:

One of my cats ate some the other day, then was sick,

But surely that's why cats eat grass, for its emetic effect. So do
dogs; eating grass is always a sign that they feel off colour and are
seeking relief. Ours seek out that soft creeping grass with a wide
blade, and are usually sick almost immediately after eating it.

Ours eat it every day and aren't sick afterwards. They also have very dense
fur but never have problems with hairballs, so I'm guessing that the grass
helps them keep all that fur under control in their stomachs.

I seem to remember reading that the best cat grasses are coarse grasses,
those with hairy leaves, but I can't find the reference. Certainly,
given the option, our cats choose the hairier grasses. In any case, if
the cats eat grass regularly they are less likely to have difficulty
with hairballs as the fibres in the grasses trap the hairs in the
stomach and move them on out, as it were. Other cats may choose to binge
on grass when they feel the need: the grass acts as an emetic, inducing
vomiting when the cat's eaten too much, or a hairball is partly blocking
the stomach.

regards
sarah

--
Waist deep, neck deep
We'll be drowning before too long

Old 01-07-2003, 02:11 PM
sw

Elizabeth wrote:

[...]

Is a animal chaser/cat utrasonic cat deterrent harmful? [email protected] United Kingdom 3 21-04-2015 09:40 AM
Catmint/cat grass Nehemiah United Kingdom 5 20-04-2013 09:46 PM
Growing grass for cat & artificial light Paul Gardening 6 09-04-2011 05:29 PM
Cat Grass! H United Kingdom 27 11-02-2003 05:26 PM
Cat Grass! Andy United Kingdom 5 07-02-2003 01:20 AM