Old 08-05-2013, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default looking for Acer nigrum

Or as this plant is now officially called, Acer saccharinum ssp nigrum.

Can anyone point me at a source? UK or EU is fine...

Thanks!

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 08-05-2013, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote in message ...

Or as this plant is now officially called, Acer saccharinum ssp nigrum.

Can anyone point me at a source? UK or EU is fine...

Thanks!

My 10 yr old RHS Plantfinder has under nirum :-

Mallet Court Nursery, Taunton. TA3 6SY
http://www.malletcourt.co.uk/files/cataloguenew.pdf

Nettletons Nursery, Godstone. RH9 8NF

Chris Pattison Nursery, Pendock. GL19 3PL

under Acer saccharinum :-

Burncoose Nursery, Redruth. TR16 6B1
http://www.burncoose.co.uk/site/cate...+%3E+&page= 2

Shout if you need any more.

Bertie

Old 08-05-2013, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks Bertie,

On Wed, 08 May 2013 21:41:31 +0100, Bertie Doe wrote:

"Emery Davis" wrote in message ...

Or as this plant is now officially called, Acer saccharinum ssp nigrum.

Very sorry! Meant to say saccharum, not saccharinum, which is an entirely
different maple (Silver Maple). Funny I just saw this mistake at a
nursery while searching, I must have subconsciously picked it up.

[]
My 10 yr old RHS Plantfinder has under nirum :-

Mallet Court Nursery, Taunton. TA3 6SY
http://www.malletcourt.co.uk/files/cataloguenew.pdf

I know them well, they don't have it.

Nettletons Nursery, Godstone. RH9 8NF

Chris Pattison Nursery, Pendock. GL19 3PL

Pattison lists palmatum 'nigrum', lots have this one. I didn't find a
stock list for Nettletons. When I google I get lots of hits for the
Japanese maple.

under Acer saccharinum :-

Burncoose Nursery, Redruth. TR16 6B1
http://www.burncoose.co.uk/site/cate...BtnSearch=+Go+

%3E+&page=2

As I said above, I meant saccharum ssp nigrum (Black maple is a
subspecies of sugar maple) not saccharinum (Silver maple). My apologies
for the typo.

Shout if you need any more.

OK, I'm shouting!

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 09-05-2013, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote in message ...

Burncoose Nursery, Redruth. TR16 6B1

http://www.burncoose.co.uk/site/cate...BtnSearch=+Go+
%3E+&page=2

As I said above, I meant saccharum ssp nigrum (Black maple is a
subspecies of sugar maple) not saccharinum (Silver maple). My apologies
for the typo.

Shout if you need any more.

OK, I'm shouting!

I need to batten down the hatches on the allotment, before this crap hits :-
http://www.raintoday.co.uk/
I'll post later.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message ...

"Emery Davis" wrote in message ...

As I said above, I meant saccharum ssp nigrum (Black maple is a
subspecies of sugar maple) not saccharinum (Silver maple). My apologies
for the typo.

Shout if you need any more.

OK, I'm shouting!

I need to batten down the hatches on the allotment, before this crap hits
:-
http://www.raintoday.co.uk/
I'll post later.

Ok here's the last of them, bearing in mind this book is 10 years old:-

Dulford Nur, Cullompton. EX15 2DG
Thornhayes Nur, Cullompton. EX15 2DF
Mills Farm P + G, Mendlesham IP14 5NQ
Kirkdale Nur, Nr Inverurie. AB51 0JL
Deelish GC, Cork. ROI
Pantiles P + G, Chertsey KT16 0BJ
Bluebell Nur, Ashby De La Zouch LE65 2TA
Lane End Nur, Lymm. WA13 0TA
Weasdale Nur, Kirkby Stephen. CA17 4LX
Perryhill Nur, Hartfield TN7 4JP
Northfields, Usk. NP15 1NQ

Good luck

Old 09-05-2013, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message

On Thu, 9 May 2013 09:10:29 +0100, "Bertie Doe"
wrote:

I need to batten down the hatches on the allotment, before this crap hits
:-
http://www.raintoday.co.uk/
I'll post later.

We had the first rain for almost 2 weeks yesterday evening. We had a
thunderstorm too. The weather changed because today is a public
holiday here. We don't want people exposing/flaunting their bodies in
the sun on beaches do we?

I couldn't agree with you more. A French beach on the other hand ........

Old 10-05-2013, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 09 May 2013 14:25:19 +0100, Bertie Doe wrote:

Good luck

No luck. Thanks for the effort, though I wonder how you came up with the
list; it would be astonishing for all these places to have listed Acer
nigrum (or saccharum ssp nigrum) then as now, since it's not an easy
plant to find except in America.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 10-05-2013, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote in message ...

On Thu, 09 May 2013 14:25:19 +0100, Bertie Doe wrote:

Good luck

No luck. Thanks for the effort, though I wonder how you came up with the
list; it would be astonishing for all these places to have listed Acer
nigrum (or saccharum ssp nigrum) then as now, since it's not an easy
plant to find except in America.

Mine is Plant Finder 2002 - 3. One of the guys on the allotments has 2009 -
10 edition. If there's anything new in it, I'll post.

How many hectares have you, don't these grow to about 25m ?

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy

Old 10-05-2013, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/05/2013 19:11, Emery Davis wrote:
Or as this plant is now officially called, Acer saccharinum ssp nigrum.

Can anyone point me at a source? UK or EU is fine...

Thanks!

-E

To save a lot of searching through old Plant finders, it was last listed
in 2008.
I wonder if it's available in Holland or Italy

Old 10-05-2013, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 10 May 2013 20:05:38 +0100, David Hill wrote:

On 08/05/2013 19:11, Emery Davis wrote:
Or as this plant is now officially called, Acer saccharinum ssp nigrum.

Can anyone point me at a source? UK or EU is fine...

Thanks!

-E

To save a lot of searching through old Plant finders, it was last listed
in 2008.
I wonder if it's available in Holland or Italy

Thanks David, useful information. Hard to find, for sure. I've done a
bit of a search in Holland and not hit it. Italy I've only scanned, I
know a few major maple nurseries there who don't have it. I may need to
resort to seed...

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy

Old 10-05-2013, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 10 May 2013 18:54:01 +0100, Bertie Doe wrote:

How many hectares have you, don't these grow to about 25m ?

Heh, that would be telling. Let's just say, I've got room for it! Not
sure it will get that big here, in any case.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 13-05-2013, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote in message ...

On Fri, 10 May 2013 20:05:38 +0100, David Hill wrote:

On 08/05/2013 19:11, Emery Davis wrote:
Or as this plant is now officially called, Acer saccharinum ssp nigrum.

Can anyone point me at a source? UK or EU is fine...

Thanks!

-E

To save a lot of searching through old Plant finders, it was last listed
in 2008.
I wonder if it's available in Holland or Italy

Thanks David, useful information. Hard to find, for sure. I've done a
bit of a search in Holland and not hit it. Italy I've only scanned, I
know a few major maple nurseries there who don't have it. I may need to
resort to seed...

A bit of success from the 09/10 Plant Finder :-

1. Langford Trees Salisbury 01794 390808
Seedlings but not available for 3 years, but you can reserve [1]

2. Crown Nursery Ufford 01394 460755
In stock available in Autumn, you can reserve.
£24 ~ish + P and P. Have both saccharum straight and ssp nigrum

[1] forgot to ask whether theirs is straight and/or nigrum

Old 14-05-2013, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 13 May 2013 18:56:27 +0100, Bertie Doe wrote:

A bit of success from the 09/10 Plant Finder :-

I've contacted both nurseries, who were quick to get back, very
professional. Unfortunately neither have it...

1. Langford Trees Salisbury 01794 390808 Seedlings but not available for
3 years, but you can reserve [1]

Should be A. saccharum, not ssp nigrum.

2. Crown Nursery Ufford 01394 460755 In stock available in Autumn, you
can reserve.
£24 ~ish + P and P. Have both saccharum straight and ssp nigrum

They responded that they don't have it, sadly.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 14-05-2013, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote in message ...

On Mon, 13 May 2013 18:56:27 +0100, Bertie Doe wrote:

Should be A. saccharum, not ssp nigrum.

2. Crown Nursery Ufford 01394 460755 In stock available in Autumn, you
can reserve.
£24 ~ish + P and P. Have both saccharum straight and ssp nigrum

They responded that they don't have it, sadly.

Spoke to Michelle at Crown 10 mins ago (my uk calls are free) and she spoke
to Richard and confirmed they do have A. saccharum in stock, for Oct/Nov
delivery.
Bertie

Gardening in Lower Normandy

Old 14-05-2013, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 14 May 2013 15:14:14 +0100, Bertie Doe wrote:

They responded that they don't have it, sadly.

Spoke to Michelle at Crown 10 mins ago (my uk calls are free) and she
spoke to Richard and confirmed they do have A. saccharum in stock, for
Oct/Nov delivery.
Bertie

Thanks very much Bertie, I have corresponded with them twice now. Just
to be totally clear, I am not looking for A. saccharum, but A. saccharum
ssp nigrum, (known also as Acer nigrum) which is a very different tree.
I have the former already, it is readily available at a number of
speciality nurseries.

I appreciate your help and apologise if I've been unclear.

-E
--
Gardening in Lower Normandy

Acer looking sick Mart United Kingdom 3 31-07-2006 10:09 PM
[IBC] Acer palmatum Claudio Fierro Bonsai 4 08-04-2003 04:56 PM
Acer griserum or Betula nigra for a specimen planting dhmeiser Gardening 2 28-03-2003 07:44 PM
acer palmatum atropurpurea XdjipsterX Bonsai 1 17-03-2003 03:56 PM
[IBC] Acer palmatum Claudio Fierro Bonsai 0 15-03-2003 01:56 AM