Old 24-05-2013, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cold, wet and windy.

Feels like winter today in North Lincs. Our forecast is to gradualy get
better over the next few days. Hope thats true.
The birds have nested, I think. I know the Blackbirds have. What they must
be going through now! I have tipped one of the composters over to let them
have some worms and have put out extra grain and fat and fatballs for tits
and finches, even sparrows.
What else can I do to help them? I would like to know.

Baz
Old 24-05-2013, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/05/2013 10:29, Baz wrote:
Feels like winter today in North Lincs. Our forecast is to gradualy get
better over the next few days. Hope thats true.
The birds have nested, I think. I know the Blackbirds have. What they must
be going through now! I have tipped one of the composters over to let them
have some worms and have put out extra grain and fat and fatballs for tits
and finches, even sparrows.
What else can I do to help them? I would like to know.

Baz

Hi Baz,
Its the same here.
I have plants all waiting to go out. Everything is so slow growing.
Swifts came and checked out their nest last week then disappeared. There
is no air Bourne food for them. House martins have not turned up at all.

--
Bill P.
Shildon
Old 24-05-2013, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill P" wrote

Baz wrote:
Feels like winter today in North Lincs. Our forecast is to gradualy get
better over the next few days. Hope thats true.
The birds have nested, I think. I know the Blackbirds have. What they
must
be going through now! I have tipped one of the composters over to let
them
have some worms and have put out extra grain and fat and fatballs for
tits
and finches, even sparrows.
What else can I do to help them? I would like to know.

Its the same here.
I have plants all waiting to go out. Everything is so slow growing.
Swifts came and checked out their nest last week then disappeared. There is
no air Bourne food for them. House martins have not turned up at all.

Drove past (A30) one of the Reservoirs near Staines yesterday and there were
lots of Swifts feeding on the edge of the downwind bank. No doubt the flies
were being blown off the water and over the bank.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 24-05-2013, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 24 May 2013 11:27:48 +0100, Roger Tonkin wrote:

Bitterly cold wind here yesterday and today. Car said 8 degrees at 8.30
this morning. Ground frost forecast for tonight!

The lunchtime weather mentioned it froze last night in Paris (Longchamps)!
Incredible. We have ground frost forecast for tonight in Normandy. Very
rare indeed.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy

Old 24-05-2013, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
Feels like winter today in North Lincs. Our forecast is to gradualy get
better over the next few days. Hope thats true.
The birds have nested, I think. I know the Blackbirds have. What they must
be going through now! I have tipped one of the composters over to let them
have some worms and have put out extra grain and fat and fatballs for tits
and finches, even sparrows.
What else can I do to help them? I would like to know.

Baz

You can maybe put some finch or canary mix in a seed feeder to help the
finch-type parents but other than that I think you're doing all you can.
It's blowing a hoolie here in Leicestershire today. Lots of leaves ripped
off the trees and lilac blossoms too.

The runner beans and mange tout I sowed 13 days ago in buckets show no sign
of coming up, it's probably too cold for them to germinate.

Old 24-05-2013, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

What else can I do to help them? I would like to know.

Baz

You can maybe put some finch or canary mix in a seed feeder to help the
finch-type parents but other than that I think you're doing all you can.
It's blowing a hoolie here in Leicestershire today. Lots of leaves ripped
off the trees and lilac blossoms too.

The runner beans and mange tout I sowed 13 days ago in buckets show no sign
of coming up, it's probably too cold for them to germinate.

Maybe you could provide them with a TV so that they cab watch Spring
Watch as they huddle together for warmth.

Old 24-05-2013, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/05/2013 10:29, Baz wrote:
Feels like winter today in North Lincs. Our forecast is to gradualy get
better over the next few days. Hope thats true.
The birds have nested, I think. I know the Blackbirds have. What they must
be going through now! I have tipped one of the composters over to let them
have some worms and have put out extra grain and fat and fatballs for tits
and finches, even sparrows.
What else can I do to help them? I would like to know.

Baz

Since it's a cold, damp spring - and also because some birds have two
broods - it's still worth putting out nesting material. We put out RG's
hair after a trim and I gather some of the moss from the lawn. Pet hair
is also a possibility, and dog hair would help to keep squirrels away
from nests containing eggs.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 24-05-2013, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Since it's a cold, damp spring - and also because some birds have two
broods - it's still worth putting out nesting material. We put out RG's
hair after a trim and I gather some of the moss from the lawn. Pet hair
is also a possibility, and dog hair would help to keep squirrels away
from nests containing eggs.

Do you really think that squirrels haven't worked out that Dogs can't
climb trees?

Old 25-05-2013, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/05/2013 09:03, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 24 May 2013 23:09:18 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

Since it's a cold, damp spring - and also because some birds have two
broods - it's still worth putting out nesting material. We put out RG's
hair after a trim and I gather some of the moss from the lawn. Pet hair
is also a possibility, and dog hair would help to keep squirrels away
from nests containing eggs.

Do you really think that squirrels haven't worked out that Dogs can't
climb trees?

What about flying foxes? :-)

Flying Foxes?
That's just Bats
Old 25-05-2013, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Since it's a cold, damp spring - and also because some birds have two
broods - it's still worth putting out nesting material. We put out RG's
hair after a trim and I gather some of the moss from the lawn. Pet hair
is also a possibility, and dog hair would help to keep squirrels away
from nests containing eggs.

Do you really think that squirrels haven't worked out that Dogs can't
climb trees?

What about flying foxes? :-)

Flying Foxes?
That's just Bats

There's no need to get rabid out it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 25-05-2013, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/05/2013 23:09, David Hill wrote:
Since it's a cold, damp spring - and also because some birds have two
broods - it's still worth putting out nesting material. We put out RG's
hair after a trim and I gather some of the moss from the lawn. Pet hair
is also a possibility, and dog hair would help to keep squirrels away
from nests containing eggs.

Do you really think that squirrels haven't worked out that Dogs can't
climb trees?

You don't have to send a dog up. You can place the hair yourself.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
gardening on clay

Wet, wet, wet David Hill United Kingdom 54 22-12-2012 03:28 PM
Wet, Wet, Wet Dave Hill United Kingdom 3 21-11-2011 11:14 PM
Evergreen recommendation for Portland, OR (wet, wet, wet) Jadene Mayla Lawns 0 27-06-2011 08:27 PM
Evergreen recommendation for Portland, OR (wet, wet, wet) Jess Lawns 0 24-04-2011 04:08 PM
Wet, Wet, Wet David Hill United Kingdom 16 06-02-2004 03:49 PM