Old 01-06-2013, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Strange pigeon behaviour

Does anyone know why wood pigeons lie down in the grass on our lawn?
We've seen several of them do it but can't say we've noticed it
particularly before this year. It doesn't seem to matter whether the
grass has just been cut or not, nor whether it's rained or is dry.
They're alone when they do it and often remain stationary for several
minutes. We haven't noticed that the collared doves do it, only the
wood pigeons, it seems.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-06-2013, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 01 Jun 2013 09:34:34 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Does anyone know why wood pigeons lie down in the grass on our lawn?
We've seen several of them do it but can't say we've noticed it
particularly before this year. It doesn't seem to matter whether the
grass has just been cut or not, nor whether it's rained or is dry.
They're alone when they do it and often remain stationary for several
minutes. We haven't noticed that the collared doves do it, only the
wood pigeons, it seems.

Not lying on ants nests, by any chance, to get themselves cleaned of
parasites?

Cheers

Dave R
Old 01-06-2013, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote in :

Does anyone know why wood pigeons lie down in the grass on our lawn?
We've seen several of them do it but can't say we've noticed it
particularly before this year. It doesn't seem to matter whether the
grass has just been cut or not, nor whether it's rained or is dry.
They're alone when they do it and often remain stationary for several
minutes. We haven't noticed that the collared doves do it, only the
wood pigeons, it seems.

I have seen similar behaviour but always thought it is their mating ritual.

Baz
Old 01-06-2013, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-06-01 11:06:55 +0100, Baz said:

Sacha wrote in :

Does anyone know why wood pigeons lie down in the grass on our lawn?
We've seen several of them do it but can't say we've noticed it
particularly before this year. It doesn't seem to matter whether the
grass has just been cut or not, nor whether it's rained or is dry.
They're alone when they do it and often remain stationary for several
minutes. We haven't noticed that the collared doves do it, only the
wood pigeons, it seems.

I have seen similar behaviour but always thought it is their mating ritual.

Baz

No other bird comes near them, though, let alone a sex-crazed pigeon!
;-) It seems to be an entirely solitary occupation.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-06-2013, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-06-01 09:55:16 +0100, David.WE.Roberts said:

On Sat, 01 Jun 2013 09:34:34 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Does anyone know why wood pigeons lie down in the grass on our lawn?
We've seen several of them do it but can't say we've noticed it
particularly before this year. It doesn't seem to matter whether the
grass has just been cut or not, nor whether it's rained or is dry.
They're alone when they do it and often remain stationary for several
minutes. We haven't noticed that the collared doves do it, only the
wood pigeons, it seems.

Not lying on ants nests, by any chance, to get themselves cleaned of
parasites?

Cheers

Dave R

Interesting idea! I don't think so but will check those parts of the
lawn where we've seen them. Thanks, David.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-06-2013, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
Does anyone know why wood pigeons lie down in the grass on our lawn? We've
seen several of them do it but can't say we've noticed it particularly
before this year. It doesn't seem to matter whether the grass has just
been cut or not, nor whether it's rained or is dry. They're alone when
they do it and often remain stationary for several minutes. We haven't
noticed that the collared doves do it, only the wood pigeons, it seems.

Collared doves were doing it here this morning. As it was a bright,
sunny morning, I assumed that they were just 'soaking up the
rays'.

Phil
Northern Highlands of Scotland

Old 01-06-2013, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-06-01 13:53:53 +0100, Janet said:

In article , says...

On Sat, 01 Jun 2013 09:34:34 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Does anyone know why wood pigeons lie down in the grass on our lawn?
We've seen several of them do it but can't say we've noticed it
particularly before this year. It doesn't seem to matter whether the
grass has just been cut or not, nor whether it's rained or is dry.
They're alone when they do it and often remain stationary for several
minutes. We haven't noticed that the collared doves do it, only the
wood pigeons, it seems.

Not lying on ants nests, by any chance, to get themselves cleaned of
parasites?

I've seen crows hens and pheasants all do the same thing, spreading
their wings and fluffing the other feathers. They will do it in dust (or
their favourite, bonfire ash) but also do it on lawns, as if sunbathing.

I'm not sure if ants on lawns play any role but certainly birdmites
exposed to light, will make a run for it into a shadier hiding place
(like the spot beneath the bird).

Janet

They're not dust-bathing or spreading their wings. They're just lying
there, neatly tucked in, as if simply having a nice quiet rest on the
lawn. They make no movement whatsoever, to the point where Ray wasn't
certain about what creature he was seeing this morning. He even
considered some frightened rabbit or hare because unlike me, he hasn't
seen them do this before. There is no ants' nest, no nothing to be seen
other than dozy pigeons. Occasionally, they get up, move about a bit
and lie down again. I've now seen this about half a dozen times and
then the bird gets up and flies off.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-06-2013, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-06-01 16:41:25 +0100, Phil Gurr said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
Does anyone know why wood pigeons lie down in the grass on our lawn?
We've seen several of them do it but can't say we've noticed it
particularly before this year. It doesn't seem to matter whether the
grass has just been cut or not, nor whether it's rained or is dry.
They're alone when they do it and often remain stationary for several
minutes. We haven't noticed that the collared doves do it, only the
wood pigeons, it seems.

Collared doves were doing it here this morning. As it was a bright,
sunny morning, I assumed that they were just 'soaking up the
rays'.

Phil
Northern Highlands of Scotland

I wondered about that but this was at about 8am today, though I've
observed it at other times of day, too. It was a sunny morning but not
hot and their wings weren't spread to catch the sun. They're not
eating, they're not moving and they're always solitary. It's quite
weird!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-06-2013, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

Collared doves were doing it here this morning. As it was a bright,
sunny morning, I assumed that they were just 'soaking up the
rays'.

Phil
Northern Highlands of Scotland

I wondered about that but this was at about 8am today, though I've
observed it at other times of day, too. It was a sunny morning but not hot
and their wings weren't spread to catch the sun. They're not eating,
they're not moving and they're always solitary. It's quite weird!

No ants up here, one first seen at about 8.30 and it was so still that
I thought it was sick or dying. Then the other one came down to
join it and they stayed for about 30 minutes. I've never seen that
behavoiur before.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

They're not dust-bathing or spreading their wings. They're just lying
there, neatly tucked in, as if simply having a nice quiet rest on the
lawn. They make no movement whatsoever, to the point where Ray wasn't
certain about what creature he was seeing this morning. He even
considered some frightened rabbit or hare because unlike me, he hasn't
seen them do this before. There is no ants' nest, no nothing to be seen
other than dozy pigeons. Occasionally, they get up, move about a bit
and lie down again. I've now seen this about half a dozen times and
then the bird gets up and flies off.

I've looked around a bit and found these replies on "birdforum" which is
world wide bird site.

"mourning doves sitting on ground..

I have a male/female couple who've decided to plunk down as if they had
a nest ..problem is they don't have a nest in my backyard on the ground
6 ft. from my back door. Question is do Doves or for that matter any
birds in general like to "take a break" from standing/perching and give
their legs a rest?? "

"I think Mourning Doves are quite similar to the Collared Doves here in
Europe and the ones in my garden do seem to like to take a little sit on
the ground occasionally - I was concerned when I first saw it too as I'd
previously seen one sitting like that after a window strike but although
I don't see them sitting often they do occasionally plonk themselves
down in the grass for a bit, especially in the summer they like to find
a sunny patch of grass and bask there."

"Probably just sunbathing. I see Mourning Doves on the ground with
out-stretched wings regularly in my backyard in Reno. Sometimes they
hold position for 10 or 15 minutes & seem to be almost comatose. The
point of the exercise is apparently parasite control, flushing out
feather mites and other vermin by over-heating".
Old 01-06-2013, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-06-01 22:14:43 +0100, David Hill said:

[...]

Thanks for looking that up, David. The 'problem' - it's not a problem
at all! - is that these are wood pigeons, not our collared doves, which
are not doing this. None has hit a window here and while it has warmed
up a lot, it isn't exactly scorching hot and certainly wasn't at 8 this
morning. They're not stretching out their wings but otherwise, the
last para makes sense because the holding position for 10 to 15 minutes
(probably not so long here) and the appearing comatose, rings bells.
We're simply fascinated by it because we've never seen it before. Is
this a result of mites/vermin on pigeons because of the very wet
winter, I wonder? The first time I saw a pigeon do this, I thought it
had been wounded by another, or by one of the rooks but that wasn't the
case at all. I've seen several do this since then and Ray saw his first
example this morning.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-06-2013, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-06-01 19:08:04 +0100, Phil Gurr said:

"Sacha" wrote in message

Collared doves were doing it here this morning. As it was a bright,
sunny morning, I assumed that they were just 'soaking up the
rays'.

Phil
Northern Highlands of Scotland

I wondered about that but this was at about 8am today, though I've
observed it at other times of day, too. It was a sunny morning but not
hot and their wings weren't spread to catch the sun. They're not
eating, they're not moving and they're always solitary. It's quite
weird!

No ants up here, one first seen at about 8.30 and it was so still that
I thought it was sick or dying. Then the other one came down to
join it and they stayed for about 30 minutes. I've never seen that
behavoiur before.

Phil
Northern Highlands of Scotland

This is beginning to feel a bit Hitchcock! How strange that you're
seeing this behaviour far north and we're seeing it far south, except
that ours are solitary. Like you, the first time I saw this, I thought
the bird was injured and dying, except that, being out in the open in
full sight of the house and every other bird around made that unlikely.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Strange orchid behaviour? Sacha[_11_] United Kingdom 22 26-09-2013 10:26 AM
Strange Hedgey Smog Behaviour TheScullster United Kingdom 4 14-07-2010 09:02 AM
Strange Lilly Behaviour Paul Ponds 5 28-07-2005 03:56 PM
Euphorbia Wulfenii. Strange flower behaviour! viv United Kingdom 0 09-02-2005 02:17 PM
Strange goldfish behaviour Weldon Wallick Ponds 2 20-08-2003 10:12 PM