Old 05-06-2013, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default 7 Natural Foods to Help You Lose Weight

Came across this interesting item

We all love our steaks and our spuds but what if we could make them
healthier? Well, according to research currently being conducted all
over the world, there are certain spices, vegetables and fruits that can
actually turn an unhealthy dish into one that burns the cals!

Horseradish: It comes from the Brassicaceae family (which includes
mustard, wasabi and broccoli) and while it may be super spicy, it can
help dissolve fat from inside your cells, which research from the
University of Copenhagen says may stop you from getting hungry. It goes
incredibly well with steak, so you’ll be having what you love while
losing weight!

Cinnamon: Research by the American Department of Agriculture discovered
that consuming a quarter of a teaspoon of cinnamon every day for six
weeks can significantly reduce your blood glucose and cholesterol
levels. Seasoning your dishes with this tasty spice or substituting
sugar for cinnamon in your cappuccino can help you lose weight in the
long run!

Pineapple: Being a natural source of enzyme bromelain - an enzyme that
breaks down protein and helps raise the metabolic rate - pineapples are
serious fat-fighters! Combining this with jalapeńos can boost your
weight loss and help you lose weight like nothing else, especially as
Laval University in Canada found that these spicy devils help burn 1,000
more calories a day when eaten!

Grapefruit: This citrus fruit is jam-packed with vitamin C and,
according to research conducted at the Scripps Clinic in San Diego,
eating grapefruit daily as part of a 12-week weight-loss plan can help
you shed an extra 1.4kg!

Coconut Milk: Yes, coconut milk is fattening but its fats are essential
for our metabolism; so much so, that after one meal which has coconut
milk in it, your metabolic rate could increase by 5%.

Celery: Your mind might have already wandered to a Bloody Mary, and you
know what? That’s great! This vegetable is low in calories but
super-high in fibre - meaning you’ll feel fuller for longer. The calcium
you get from it will also help bind waste fats and cleanse your body
from them.

Black Pepper: The most common spice of all, and one of the most
nutritious! Black pepper’s active chemical, piperine, gets your
metabolism working faster and burning more calories according to the
journal Nutrition Today. On top of that, it also helps relieve the
symptoms of heartburn and indigestion.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

David Hill wrote:
Horseradish: It comes from the Brassicaceae family (which includes
Cinnamon: Research by the American Department of Agriculture discovered
Pineapple: Being a natural source of enzyme bromelain - an enzyme that
Grapefruit: This citrus fruit is jam-packed with vitamin C and,
Black Pepper: The most common spice of all, and one of the most

I had heard of these before.

Coconut Milk: Yes, coconut milk is fattening but its fats are essential

Hadn't heard this one.

Celery: Your mind might have already wandered to a Bloody Mary, and you

Wasn't this the one that was (allegedly falsely) suggested as "burns more calories
to consume than it provides"?

Old 05-06-2013, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote in news:b18c6bFivd0U1
@mid.individual.net:

[...]

Exercise, and some of the above with natural sugars would surely lose
weight?
I know that since I stopped my physical work, I have put on weight, not a
bad thing in my case, I have been skinny most of my life. But I am in an
overweight situation now.
Get the bike out and pedal. Thats what I'm doing, and I think it's
working. Makes me feel better about myself anyway.

Baz
Old 05-06-2013, 04:12 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hill View Post
Came across this interesting item

We all love our steaks and our spuds but what if we could make them
healthier? Well, according to research currently being conducted all
over the world, there are certain spices, vegetables and fruits that can
actually turn an unhealthy dish into one that burns the cals!
Superfoods are a popular modern myth. Individually the reality is that these things make little difference. Eat a reasonable quantity of balanced diet with plenty of fibre, and take regular exercise, and you can't go far wrong. Don't do that, and adding a handful of "superfoods" to your diet won't make much difference.

Pacific islanders are the fattest people on the planet, and they eat lots of coconut, pineapple and fish. Chilli (it isn't specifically jalapenos) is eaten in especially large quantities in places such as India and West Africa and Mexico, where there is a growing obesity problem, despite them usually being thought of as food-poor regions of the world. If these people were recently thin, it is because they didn't have a lot to eat or did a lot of manual labour. Argentineans, once rather svelte, are rapidly becoming much fatter at the same time that their prodigious consumption of meat is falling - though those two things are probably not closely related.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote

David Hill wrote
[...]

serious fat-fighters! Combining this with jalapeños can boost your
[...]

It will certainly increase your stamina and breathing even if you don't lose
weight.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:42 AM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
"Baz" wrote

David Hill wrote
[...]

Medical research, the most fraudulent thing there is in the scientific community, it also ranks along side climate science for 'bad' science:

Abstract

A detailed review of all 2,047 biomedical and life-science research articles indexed by PubMed as retracted on May 3, 2012 revealed that only 21.3% of retractions were attributable to error. In contrast, 67.4% of retractions were attributable to misconduct, including fraud or suspected fraud (43.4%), duplicate publication (14.2%), and plagiarism (9.8%). Incomplete, uninformative or misleading retraction announcements have led to a previous underestimation of the role of fraud in the ongoing retraction epidemic. The percentage of scientific articles retracted because of fraud has increased ∼10-fold since 1975. Retractions exhibit distinctive temporal and geographic patterns that may reveal underlying causes.
Misconduct accounts for the majority of retracted scientific publications
Old 06-06-2013, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 05 Jun 2013 09:46:05 +0100, David Hill wrote:

Came across this interesting item

We all love our steaks and our spuds but what if we could make them
healthier? Well, according to research currently being conducted all
over the world, there are certain spices, vegetables and fruits that can
actually turn an unhealthy dish into one that burns the cals!

snip

As others have suggested, absolute bunkum!

Putting a sprinkle of black pepper on a super sized hot chilli pizza is
not going to turn it into a healthy nutritious slimming snack.

Using these (and other) natural foods within a strictly calorie controlled
diet may increase your metabolic effectiveness slightly, but the main
thing is just not to eat more than you need to replace energy used during
a 24 hour period.

This smacks of 'magic cure' thinking - "Oh, it's all right to eat all
these massive meals as long as I include some black pepper and coconut
milk in them".

Followed by blaming the scientists (or the world in general) when it
doesn't work.

Oh, and as far as I know steak isn't unhealthy apart from the links
between red meat and carbonised food with some forms of cancer.

Spuds are far more likely to do you damage because overloading on
carbohydrates is the thing that piles the weight on.

Look at high protein/high fat low carbohydrate diets - there is a lot of
support for this as a healthy way of living.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

and

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/low-c...-fat-diet.html

Cheers

Dave R
Old 06-06-2013, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/06/2013 11:21, wrote:
In article ,
David.WE.Roberts wrote:
On Wed, 05 Jun 2013 09:46:05 +0100, David Hill wrote:

Came across this interesting item

We all love our steaks and our spuds but what if we could make them
healthier? Well, according to research currently being conducted all
over the world, there are certain spices, vegetables and fruits that can
actually turn an unhealthy dish into one that burns the cals!

As others have suggested, absolute bunkum!

Putting a sprinkle of black pepper on a super sized hot chilli pizza is
not going to turn it into a healthy nutritious slimming snack.

That is very true.

The original article had all the hallmarks of being a quick fix targeted
at lazy fat American couch potatoes that want to eat whole giant
supersize pizzas, 16oz steaks with mega portions of French fries and a
gallon of high fructose corn syrup Coke to wash it down.

Using these (and other) natural foods within a strictly calorie controlled
diet may increase your metabolic effectiveness slightly, but the main
thing is just not to eat more than you need to replace energy used during
a 24 hour period.

And that.

That is basically the fundamental energy balance of life. If you eat
more calories than you burn each day then some of it will get stored.

Oh, and as far as I know steak isn't unhealthy apart from the links
between red meat and carbonised food with some forms of cancer.

Look harder. Small quantities are fine, but a lot of problems are
associated with high-meat diets - we aren't adapted to them, though
some people are a lot more adapted than others.

We are not obligate carnivores and need comparatively little protein and
fat in a healthy diet. Oriental rice based diets come close to the ideal
(although some things they eat are dodgy like bracken!).

Spuds are far more likely to do you damage because overloading on
carbohydrates is the thing that piles the weight on.

Sorry, but you have just joined the bunkum wallahs.

I agree. When I lived in Japan we were in effect on a very high
carbohydrate diet and rapidly lost weight to the extent that visiting
colleagues from the UK would take us out to "feed us up". After three
years we were still slim and fit and they all had bulging waistlines.

I suspect that refined sugar in almost everything is actually far more
of a problem than is generally acknowledged. Yudkin probably did have a
point with his book "Pure, White and deadly: The Problem of Sugar".

Look at high protein/high fat low carbohydrate diets - there is a lot of
support for this as a healthy way of living.

And a lot of evidence that they are very risky. Few people do well
on the very high carbohydrate diet that suits me, but most people
are best advised to get most of their calories that they burn up in
exercise above and beyond ordinary moving around (note!) from
carbohydrates.

ISTR the ketonic high fat adequate protein diet is used for control and
treatment of some forms of epilepsy. And promoted in faddish forms as
the Atkins diet (less so since he is now deceased).

I suspect making the liver work overtime like this is not a good idea.

Also, potatoes are NOT a particularly high carbohydrate food, and
are a very healthy way of getting that (if you eat the skins, of
course).

So long as they are not green...

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 06-06-2013, 02:17 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granity View Post
[...]

But 2000 articles is a drop in the ocean in comparison with all medical articles. Expecting 100% of humanity to be honest/competent is unrealistic, and that is true of published scientific researchers too. Much worse than the problem you mention is meddling by drugs companies to suppress unhelpful results. On the other hand, nearly all of CAM articles are of poor quality. Whereas, despite the problems of fraud and conflicts of interest, mainstream medicine has been responsible for great reductions in disease mortality.

However I would agree that research of the form "X foodstuff is good for you" tends to be pretty rubbish.

Climate science does indeed attract a lot of pseudo-scientists, but they tend to have difficulty getting published in peer-reviewed journals.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/06/13 10:52, wrote:

Celery: Your mind might have already wandered to a Bloody Mary, and you

Wasn't this the one that was (allegedly falsely) suggested as "burns more calories
to consume than it provides"?

That's boiled or fried eggs...

--
Rusty Hinge
Old 06-06-2013, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

From:
Abstract
A detailed review of all 2,047 biomedical and life-science research
articles indexed by PubMed as retracted on May 3, 2012 revealed that
only 21.3% of retractions were attributable to error. In contrast, 67.4%
of retractions were attributable to misconduct, including fraud or
suspected fraud (43.4%), duplicate publication (14.2%), and plagiarism
(9.8%). Incomplete, uninformative or misleading retraction announcements
have led to a previous underestimation of the role of fraud in the
ongoing retraction epidemic. The percentage of scientific articles
retracted because of fraud has increased ∼10-fold since 1975.
Retractions exhibit distinctive temporal and geographic patterns that
may reveal underlying causes.
'Misconduct accounts for the majority of retracted scientific
publications' (http://tinyurl.com/lbcnv2s)

And most bad research is never retracted.

NT
Old 06-06-2013, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 05 Jun 2013 09:46:05 +0100, David Hill wrote:

Came across this interesting item

All what Ben Goldacre describes as 'the ******** du jour' in his
wonderful 'Bad Science'