Old 20-06-2013, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ground Elder removing!

On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 10:02:13 +0000, CT wrote:

I have a problem with ground elder (and creeping buttercup) because the
young leaves of both look similar to strawberry leaves. :-(

Don't talk to me about creeping buttercup!

I surely feel the buttercup pain. If that makes any sense...

Ground elder at least you can kill with glyphosate, but creeping
buttercup colonises cleared areas around trees and can only be taken out
by hand. That means removing deer protection, weeding, putting it back,
ad nauseum. I really despise the stuff.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 20-06-2013, 11:02 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery Davis[_3_] View Post
Ground elder at least you can kill with glyphosate, but creeping
buttercup colonises cleared areas around trees and can only be taken out
by hand. That means removing deer protection, weeding, putting it back,
ad nauseum. I really despise the stuff.
I think you should respect it rather than despise it. To cause you such hassle is really quite an achievement ;-)
__________________
Old 20-06-2013, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

kay wrote:
I have a problem with ground elder (and creeping buttercup) because the
young leaves of both look similar to strawberry leaves. :-(

yes, it's interesting the way plants that don't really look alike can
seem so similar when they're entangled in a bed and you're trying to
make a reasonable rate of progress with the weeding. I don't have ground
elder, and I'd find it hard to confuse buttercup with alpine strawberry,
but I find buttercup amongst hardy geraniums can get lost. Another pair

My strawberries aren't alpine, the chickens dug all those up. :-(

(Speaking of chickens - first green egg today! It's ,... a very odd
colour, not the blue we were hoping for, but ... interesting)

Old 21-06-2013, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20 Jun 2013 22:48:21 GMT, wrote:

(Speaking of chickens - first green egg today! It's ,... a very odd
colour, not the blue we were hoping for, but ... interesting)

You'll be looking for some ham then... B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 21-06-2013, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 00:02:32 +0200, kay wrote:

'Emery Davis[_3_ Wrote:

by hand. That means removing deer protection, weeding, putting it
back,

ad nauseum. I really despise the stuff.

I think you should respect it rather than despise it. To cause you such
hassle is really quite an achievement ;-)

LOL. Sympathy for the Devil? The meadows are full of it this year and
it's blooming very prettily. I alternatively admire and glare, grinding
my teeth, thinking "Look at that %&*@ stuff go!"

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy

Old 21-06-2013, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Dave Liquorice wrote:
(Speaking of chickens - first green egg today! It's ,... a very odd
colour, not the blue we were hoping for, but ... interesting)

You'll be looking for some ham then... B-)

Oddly, you're about the third person to say that. ;-P
Old 22-06-2013, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/06/13 10:49, wrote:

I have a problem with ground elder (and creeping buttercup) because the
young leaves of both look similar to strawberry leaves. :-(

Really?

--
Rusty Hinge
Old 22-06-2013, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/06/13 19:28, Emery Davis wrote:
On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 10:02:13 +0000, CT wrote:

I have a problem with ground elder (and creeping buttercup) because the
young leaves of both look similar to strawberry leaves. :-(

Don't talk to me about creeping buttercup!

I surely feel the buttercup pain. If that makes any sense...

Ground elder at least you can kill with glyphosate, but creeping
buttercup colonises cleared areas around trees and can only be taken out
by hand. That means removing deer protection, weeding, putting it back,
ad nauseum. I really despise the stuff.

ITYM you really hate the stuff. I'd despise it if it rolled-over and
died as soon as it was attacked...

--
Rusty Hinge

Old 22-06-2013, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

RustyHinge wrote:
(Speaking of chickens - first green egg today! It's ,... a very odd
colour, not the blue we were hoping for, but ... interesting)

You've got a cucko^h^h^h^duck in the nest?

Quack.

We got 2 new Heritage Blue chooks, which are meant to have an 80% chance
of a green or blue egg, with the others being 'various pastels'. From
what I can tell, unless one of the older girls has shrunk her eggs, of
the 3 new girls (2 Blue and one stripey but i can't remember the breed)
we are getting 1 green, one mid brown and one light brown.
Old 22-06-2013, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

RustyHinge wrote:
I have a problem with ground elder (and creeping buttercup) because the
young leaves of both look similar to strawberry leaves. :-(

Really?

*shrug* Enough to make weeding it out require a second glance, at which
point I'm normally glancing at it in my hand going "oh b*****, I just
pulled out another strawberry", yeah.

Getting rid of ground elder Cat United Kingdom 130 30-10-2003 08:02 AM
Weeds (was Getting rid of ground elder) Victoria Clare United Kingdom 6 24-10-2003 12:22 AM
Help! Ground Elder Mike H United Kingdom 3 12-07-2003 02:32 PM
Help! Ground Elder Mike H Gardening 2 12-07-2003 09:32 AM
Ground elder & plants to grow with it Annabel United Kingdom 20 07-04-2003 04:33 PM