Old 30-06-2013, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Leaf Miners

I have a bad case of same in my beetroot which David Hill has correctly
identified. I have taken leaves to bits - and there the little maggots are.

How do you stop beet getting them in the first place?

If they have got them how do you get rid?

If I take off all affected leaves - will the beets suffer?

I cannot believe that there are no solutions (perhaps literally) which will
sort things out.

Old 30-06-2013, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 12:23:10 +0100, Judith
wrote:

I cannot believe that there are no solutions (perhaps literally)

which will
sort things out.

I use a home-remedy - and yes, it is a solution (haha).

It's made with white spirit and bicycle tyre vulcanising solution -
rather more of the former (I can't remember exactly how much but what
you want is a sort of slightly sticky liquid that won't dry quickly).

What I do is put a bit of this in a saucer close to the plants I want
to protect, and the flies land there instead of on the plants, and
they either drink it and die or drown or get stuck - I don't know but
there are always a lot when it comes time for a new dish.

This didn't work that well until I added the 'secret ingredient' -
some chinese fish sauce we got as a gift but didn't like (it smelled
awfull). It seems to be just what the flies go for, however. I
tried to find out what the smell was but as it was all kanji(?) I had
to ask one of the students and she said it was a thing we call
Hagfish which makes a bit of sense considering the odour.
Old 30-06-2013, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 08:45:54 -0300, Emma Way wrote:

snip

This didn't work that well until I added the 'secret ingredient' -
some chinese fish sauce we got as a gift but didn't like (it smelled
awfull). It seems to be just what the flies go for, however. I
tried to find out what the smell was but as it was all kanji(?) I had
to ask one of the students and she said it was a thing we call
Hagfish which makes a bit of sense considering the odour.

many thanks Jilly for the pure rubbish - "Emma Way" - yes - off you go now.

For the regulars this is yet a different name from the silly sad person who
posts as Jilly and who has also posted as "Judith in England" in trying to
impersonate me.

Old 30-06-2013, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith wrote in
:

On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 08:45:54 -0300, Emma Way wrote:

snip

This didn't work that well until I added the 'secret ingredient' -
some chinese fish sauce we got as a gift but didn't like (it smelled
awfull). It seems to be just what the flies go for, however. I
tried to find out what the smell was but as it was all kanji(?) I had
to ask one of the students and she said it was a thing we call
Hagfish which makes a bit of sense considering the odour.

many thanks Jilly for the pure rubbish - "Emma Way" - yes - off you go
now.

For the regulars this is yet a different name from the silly sad
person who posts as Jilly and who has also posted as "Judith in
England" in trying to impersonate me.

I had a silly person impersonating me last year. But it was said that it
was me. Impersonating myself. Now that it is happening to someone else is
somewhere proof that the shit is at large.

Baz
Old 30-06-2013, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-06-30 13:09:38 +0100, Judith said:

On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 08:45:54 -0300, Emma Way wrote:

snip
many thanks Jilly for the pure rubbish - "Emma Way" - yes - off you go now.

For the regulars this is yet a different name from the silly sad person who
posts as Jilly and who has also posted as "Judith in England" in trying to
impersonate me.

You INSIST on answering these people and then complain that they answer
you back. Please - do us all a favour and ignore it!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 30-06-2013, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-06-30 13:09:38 +0100, Judith said:

On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 08:45:54 -0300, Emma Way wrote:

snip
many thanks Jilly for the pure rubbish - "Emma Way" - yes - off you go now.

For the regulars this is yet a different name from the silly sad person who
posts as Jilly and who has also posted as "Judith in England" in trying to
impersonate me.

You INSIST on answering these people and then complain that they answer
you back. Please - do us all a favour and ignore it!

I am awfully sorry that I answered one of "these people" who was responding to
my query - I thought I would point out that the advice being offered was pure
rubbish.

I now realise that I should not have done that - I should have left the post as
it was, so that unsuspecting people could have followed the advice.

(Could you perhaps tell me how you identify *these people* so that I will not
make the same mistake in the future.)

Also, can you also please tell me when the elections for moderators of u.r.g.
take place: I quite fancy doing what you do (so well).

Old 30-06-2013, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Oh dear :-((((((

Banned or reported?

Mike
South East Coast of the Isle of Wight

(Sorry I do not have a commercial website to advertise)

and I have top posted to save you all trolling down a load of dross.

..

Old 30-06-2013, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/06/2013 18:56, 'Mike' wrote:
Oh dear :-((((((

and I have top posted to save you all trolling down a load of dross.

You could have pruned out all the dross.
Do as you say

leaf miners chris Gardening 0 03-09-2004 08:48 AM
Leaf Miners in my Columbine BottleCap Gardening 10 31-05-2004 04:07 AM
Leaf miners on pepper plants Stan Goodman Edible Gardening 5 18-05-2004 07:18 PM
Leaf Miners Janice United Kingdom 4 21-07-2003 06:55 PM
Website guide to leaf miners Andy Mabbett United Kingdom 0 08-03-2003 11:00 PM