Old 10-07-2013, 05:50 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default Moss Killer

Nice house wall painting weather, patching up the few places the
paint has failed. One patch I *know* I wire brushed and repainted
last year. It's failed again, because there must be moss embeded into
the stone/old lime mortar.

So how to kill the blasted stuff, preferably in one hit and
permenantly. Will Roundup do it? The weather looks set fair for a day
or two so I could squirt it tomorrow and leave it for a couple of
days to get down into the roots before removing the top growth and
repainting.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 10/07/2013 17:50, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Nice house wall painting weather, patching up the few places the
paint has failed. One patch I *know* I wire brushed and repainted
last year. It's failed again, because there must be moss embeded into
the stone/old lime mortar.

So how to kill the blasted stuff, preferably in one hit and
permenantly. Will Roundup do it? The weather looks set fair for a day
or two so I could squirt it tomorrow and leave it for a couple of
days to get down into the roots before removing the top growth and
repainting.

Not a hope in hell,
You will need something like Formaldehyde, foul stuff to use and will
want a couple of weeks to kill it properly
Old 10-07-2013, 09:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

In article o.uk,
says...

Nice house wall painting weather, patching up the few places the
paint has failed. One patch I *know* I wire brushed and repainted
last year. It's failed again, because there must be moss embeded into
the stone/old lime mortar.

So how to kill the blasted stuff, preferably in one hit and
permenantly. Will Roundup do it?

No you need a specific moss killer. Shed sells something for treating
mossy roofs or you could use ferrous oxide in water, the active
ingredient in lawn moss treatments. When it's dead brush it out of the
crevices with a wire brush.

Talking of moss killer I posted a query a few weeks ago asking advice
on about dethatching the "lawn" which had become so mossy it was sodden
and unusable, grass rapidly retreating.

I borrowed an electric lawn scarifier to try, which was so
effective I went out and bought the same model (£60 in Dobbies GC, same
in B and Q). It raked out enough moss to fill 16 cubic-metre builders
bags. Then I treated the lawn with a moss, weed and feed gritty stuff.
Huge black patches where it had been pure moss.

However, weeks later the moss is all gone, the ground is not nearly
as wet and spongy and and the grass is rapidly growing back into the
gaps and looking good. Lots of work but worth it.

Janet
Old 10-07-2013, 10:18 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet
writes

Talking of moss killer I posted a query a few weeks ago asking advice
on about dethatching the "lawn" which had become so mossy it was sodden
and unusable, grass rapidly retreating.

I borrowed an electric lawn scarifier to try, which was so
effective I went out and bought the same model (£60 in Dobbies GC, same
in B and Q). It raked out enough moss to fill 16 cubic-metre builders
bags. Then I treated the lawn with a moss, weed and feed gritty stuff.
Huge black patches where it had been pure moss.

However, weeks later the moss is all gone, the ground is not nearly
as wet and spongy and and the grass is rapidly growing back into the
gaps and looking good. Lots of work but worth it.

Might be a good idea to *spike* the mossy bits with a garden fork to try
and improve the drainage otherwise it'll be back:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Old 11-07-2013, 07:38 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
Nice house wall painting weather, patching up the few places the
paint has failed. One patch I *know* I wire brushed and repainted
last year. It's failed again, because there must be moss embeded into
the stone/old lime mortar.

So how to kill the blasted stuff, preferably in one hit and
permenantly. Will Roundup do it? The weather looks set fair for a day
or two so I could squirt it tomorrow and leave it for a couple of
days to get down into the roots before removing the top growth and
repainting.

You can buy algecide at your builders merchant. Give it a few doses.
Roundup doesn't kill moss.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:09 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 11/07/2013 07:38, harryagain wrote:
"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
Nice house wall painting weather, patching up the few places the
paint has failed. One patch I *know* I wire brushed and repainted
last year. It's failed again, because there must be moss embeded into
the stone/old lime mortar.

So how to kill the blasted stuff, preferably in one hit and
permenantly. Will Roundup do it? The weather looks set fair for a day
or two so I could squirt it tomorrow and leave it for a couple of
days to get down into the roots before removing the top growth and
repainting.

You can buy algecide at your builders merchant. Give it a few doses.
Roundup doesn't kill moss.

Sounds like Biggles and Co. should be very wary of that. :-)

--
Rod

Old 11-07-2013, 10:47 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 21:01:23 +0100, Janet wrote:

So how to kill the blasted stuff, preferably in one hit and
permenantly. Will Roundup do it?

No you need a specific moss killer.

I had a niggling doubt in the back of my mind that moss was a
"different plant" and glyphosate didn't affect it...

Shed sells something for treating mossy roofs or you could use ferrous
oxide in water, the active ingredient in lawn moss treatments.

Ferric chloride any good? Got some of that for etching PCBs... From
the ground there are only two small, as in a few inches long, places
with moss. A squirty spot treatment would be ideal.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Chris Hogg wrote:

Along with what the others have said, Jeyes Fluid will kill moss, but
the smell lingers for a week or two and I doubt if it's permanent.

Though, sadly, it is no longer permitted to be sold for this
purpose. However, I doubt the environmental police can nick you
for it .

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 13:19:32 +0100, The Other Mike wrote:

It's failed again, because there must be moss embeded into the
stone/old lime mortar.

Pressure washer?

Nawp, the wall was pressure washed two years ago to remove the old
flakey paint before being repainted. Last year one of the spots was
scraped out and wirebrushed before being repainted. This year the
damn stuff is back and the paint failed...

The moss must be well emeded into the stone/mortar so the treatment
needs to get right down into the roots and kill them.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:20 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 11/07/2013 17:20, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 13:19:32 +0100, The Other Mike wrote:

It's failed again, because there must be moss embeded into the
stone/old lime mortar.

Pressure washer?

Nawp, the wall was pressure washed two years ago to remove the old
flakey paint before being repainted. Last year one of the spots was
scraped out and wirebrushed before being repainted. This year the
damn stuff is back and the paint failed...

The moss must be well emeded into the stone/mortar so the treatment
needs to get right down into the roots and kill them.

That's why in times past graffiti was painted onto walls using liquid
cow dung,it caused moss and algi to grow and couldn't be removed.