Old 17-07-2013, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Watering

so much could have been snipped in accordance with the rules and
regulations. Scan down and see just how much is not relevant to petrol and
diesel

On 2013-07-16 14:53:05 +0100, Broadback said:

On 16/07/2013 14:35, Spider wrote:

On 16/07/2013 09:46, Sacha wrote:

Yes, I know I've banged on about 'thank heaven we put the borehole in'

but....a few weeks ago the pump broke down and it took a week to get

another and fit it. During that week, we had to use mains water and
last

night Ray told me it cost £500! So it is indeed 'thank heaven for that

borehole'!! I believe our water board is one of the most expensive in

the country but even so! Think of how much we must all cost ourselves
if

we waste any - taps left running during teeth brushing, letting it run

down the sink while waiting for it to heat are just two that come to

mind.

That sounds like a difficult -and expensive- week.

We both try to be very good with water. When there's a hosepipe ban I

collect all the water from cleaning veg and salad stuff ... collect
cold

'hot' water (iyswim) ... collect the cat's stale drinking water and
even

cooking water if there's no salt in it. It is then used on plants that

are particularly stressed. I also keep a bucket of fresh water outside

for the cats to drink, so that's a good drenching for some poor plant.

It really does make a difference. In fact, I should be doing it now,

because I'm sure we're overdue a hosepipe ban. Bustles off to find

bucket .....

Well Sacha, after all it is a business, you will no doubt claim it as
a tax expense, which will reduce the cost somewhat. The government
recognise that the SW of the country have high water costs, and
purportedly are doing something about it.

As regards car washing and hose being synonymous the major
supermarkets have car washers that use virtually no water, they seem
to make a good job.

I must check whether we can claim it against taxes though that doesn't
actually help at the time! We use mains water in the house and are
very careful about how much of that we use, too and yes, I hope the
government or SWW does do something about it but that doesn't help in
the past or the present, either, for us or anyone else. I'm not having
a grumble because these things happen, pumps break and in our case
plants have to be watered, or it's a disaster. What I'm aiming to show
is how expensive water is and how much many of us take it for granted
as 'free'. And we very, very rarely wash our cars at home but go to
the local Morrisons car wash. That was expensive last time as Ray
started filling my car's diesel tank with petrol. But that's another
story!

A small amount of petrol won't do a diesel any harm. Lorry driver's used
to do that in the winter to stop the diesel waxing.

Jonathan

We've had varying opinions on that. One said just as you do, others
said moving it would have done great damage. So we didn't move it, a
man came out, sucked out the petrol, flushed it through with diesel,
re-filled it with diesel and took a cheque for just over £100 plus the
cost of the diesel!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 17-07-2013, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 'Mike' wrote:

so much could have been snipped in accordance with the rules and
regulations.

Now let's get this straight (and this is also for the benefit of those
who don't know you). There are no rules or regulations in this
newsgroup. There are suggestions in the weekly Welcome message but they
do NOT amount to rules or regulations.

And, frankly, do you care, apart from being a bit of a jobsworth, that
is?

David

Old 17-07-2013, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
so much could have been snipped in accordance with the rules and
regulations. Scan down and see just how much is not relevant to petrol
and diesel

You took the words right off of my keyboard Mike
--
Pete C

Old 18-07-2013, 01:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-16 18:12:05 +0100, Christina Websell said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
Yes, I know I've banged on about 'thank heaven we put the borehole in'
but....a few weeks ago the pump broke down and it took a week to get
another and fit it. During that week, we had to use mains water and
last night Ray told me it cost £500! So it is indeed 'thank heaven for
that borehole'!! I believe our water board is one of the most expensive
in the country but even so! Think of how much we must all cost ourselves
if we waste any - taps left running during teeth brushing, letting it
run down the sink while waiting for it to heat are just two that come to
mind.
--

I guess you have a water meter then?
Although I could choose to have one and it might indeed save me a bit of

Yes, we have a water meter for the Nursery and had to have one as it's a
commercial use, which is fair enough. If we hitch up to the mains for the
nursery, the result is what we saw a few weeks ago. You can only imagine
what it would be costing now if we had to use mains water right through
all this weather! I thought we had a meter to the house but Ray tells me
that we don't, so confusion all round! I put in a meter when I lived
alone in my Jersey house. Unknown to me, a loo in an outhouse had some
weird arrangement for the overflow and water was running away without that
loo even being used. I ended up with a bill for £300. I suppose that one
or two people living in a house where they're reasonably responsible about
water use are probably an 'in profit' customer to a water board. We only
use a dishwasher or washing machine when it's full, two showers a day
(four perhaps in this weather) and other fairly small use isn't likely to
do much harm to the planet. However, right now, we have a mains leak in
the lane outside our house which has been running for about 3 weeks and so
far, nothing has been done. Re your comments on gas and electricity, just
wait...! Personally, I am infuriated by the enormous amounts of light
used to illuminate shop windows long after closing time, or
almost-deserted streets. We have no street lighting here and nobody wants
it. What we do have are fabulous views of the moon and stars and we'd
rather go with that. Right now, I'm looking at a beautiful, clear half
moon from my study window.
--

I'm not, no way Jose, installing a water meter.
Every new house has to have one, but even it costs me more, as I said, I

Old 18-07-2013, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 18:12:05 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
Yes, I know I've banged on about 'thank heaven we put the borehole in'
but....a few weeks ago the pump broke down and it took a week to get
another and fit it. During that week, we had to use mains water and last
night Ray told me it cost £500!

I guess you have a water meter then?
Although I could choose to have one and it might indeed save me a bit of
money, I don't want to worry about every time I turn the tap on.

tbh, if I am prepared to pay a company for supplying me with water quite a
lot of money per year for doing so, it's up to them to do so.
Imagine if your gas or electric supplier said "Pay us xxx every year for
your g or e, but do try not to use it"

The installation of " smart meters" for all consumers is an aim of the
energy suppliers and the government .While they promote the benefits
of them as being for the good of the consumer it is hard not to think
that the real reason is to use the ability to vary the charges far
more than is possible now . You want make toast for Breakfast at the
same time as everyone else ? it will be x pence per unit this morning.
Next day it will be x+x pence because "a power station has gone of
line", "not enough Sun to generate solar" "No wind for Turbines"
"the tanker bringing gas has been delayed by a shoal of jelly Fish"
etc etc. So you may not be able to afford to use it when you would
wish to.
It's easier and cheaper to suppress demand this way and "solve" the
impending energy shortage caused by the forced closedown of older
power stations rather than build modern ones.

When you are Blue with Cold ,Thank a Green.

G.Harman

Old 18-07-2013, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 10:30:38 +0100, David Rance
wrote:

On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 'Mike' wrote:

so much could have been snipped in accordance with the rules and
regulations.

Now let's get this straight (and this is also for the benefit of those
who don't know you). There are no rules or regulations in this
newsgroup.

Oh really - I thought that cross-posting was not allowed? At least I got in to
trouble for doing so.

Old 19-07-2013, 08:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote:

On 18/07/2013 23:10, Judith in England wrote:

Oh - look the smart meter shows we are using a quarter of an amp of electricity
more than we did at the same time last night. Have you left the bedroom light
on dear?

Where do you get quarter amp light bulbs?

Well, a 60 W tungsten would fit the bill. Not very green though.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Old 19-07-2013, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Yes, I know I've banged on about 'thank heaven we put the borehole in'
but....a few weeks ago the pump broke down and it took a week to get
another and fit it. During that week, we had to use mains water and last
night Ray told me it cost £500! So it is indeed 'thank heaven for that
borehole'!! I believe our water board is one of the most expensive in the
country but even so! Think of how much we must all cost ourselves if we
waste any - taps left running during teeth brushing, letting it run down
the sink while waiting for it to heat are just two that come to mind.

--

I don't believe it. My well pump has packed up as well!

Mike

Old 19-07-2013, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-16 18:12:05 +0100, Christina Websell said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like a hose from house to Nursery is what's needed :-)

Mike

Old 19-07-2013, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-16 18:12:05 +0100, Christina Websell said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

If only it were that simple! It couldn't do 3 or 4 at once!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

watering solution needed Valkyrie Gardening 11 20-05-2003 03:20 PM
Can anyone recommend a good hose/watering online supplier. [email protected] United Kingdom 1 30-03-2003 02:33 AM
Vacation Watering Half Barrels jammer Gardening 5 23-02-2003 09:03 PM
Watering equitants IiSpankyii Orchids 3 09-02-2003 08:55 PM
[IBC] watering in the cold Steve Wolfinger Bonsai 2 23-01-2003 03:21 PM