Old 24-07-2013, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Very welcome rain

David, I work the system the other way. 3 years ago after my two major
operations I was given the all clear 'as good as new' so I bought a motor
bike. Triumph Bonneville. No going out in the wind and rain etc. Had enough
of that when I was a lot younger. What has happened over the last three
years? Wind, Rain, more rain, wind, cold, more rain. 85 miles on the clock
in 3 years and there were 7 of them when I picked the bike up . More layers
of polish than miles on the clock almost ;-)

So three weeks ago I sold it.

Since then? Sun, lovely days. No wind, more sun.

I have been banned from buying another motor bike and even told off when I
looked at an open top car.

Mike

"David Hill" wrote in message ...

No, no. Just wash the car. No need to buy all that barbecue stuff!

Well the car was washed this morning for the first time in well over a
year, It was OK whilst the dust and pollen etc was spread evenly over
it, but the slight shower over night was just enough to streak it and
make it look dirty, so we will see, so far it's just getting hotter and
the few clouds are getting smaller and fewer, though the rain radar
shows showers moving up the coast of Cornwall and Devon and heading for us..

Old 24-07-2013, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-24 14:41:17 +0100, David Hill said:

No, no. Just wash the car. No need to buy all that barbecue stuff!

Well the car was washed this morning for the first time in well over a
year, It was OK whilst the dust and pollen etc was spread evenly over
it, but the slight shower over night was just enough to streak it and
make it look dirty, so we will see, so far it's just getting hotter and
the few clouds are getting smaller and fewer, though the rain radar
shows showers moving up the coast of Cornwall and Devon and heading for
us..

Apparently we have a 98% chance of rain tonight. The question then is
how much rain?!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 24-07-2013, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 16:04:32 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Apparently we have a 98% chance of rain tonight. The question then is
how much rain?!

Here at the formerly dry end of Swansea Bay, we've just had 72 seconds
of something wet falling from the sky. So the former dry spell is
officially over. I suppose the next one is now starting.

--
Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 25-07-2013, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin wrote:
On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 13:20:00 +0100, "Indigo"
wrote:

Inviting the world press to stand on a pavement outside a London
hospital for two weeks waiting for the next full moon appears to have
worked too.

They have to get their own back on the press somehow.
Anyway, you might mock. I'll have you know several 'Merican tourists
pronounced the event as "Ahhsome" to any available tv person wielding a
microphone.

One TV interviewed American tourist incorrectly forecast that the baby
would be black.

Hmm. I wonder what odds the bookies were giving on THAT!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 25-07-2013, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Even that hasn't worked. The rain forecast for yesterday afternoon
turned out to be a few drops per square metre. Just enough to make
people rush out and bring things in.

Well here in This part of South Wales we had some good steady rain for a
large part of the night, I don't know how much as I forgot to empty the
rain gauge after using the sprinklers on the outside plants, but there
are no puddles, no mud and the ground still has cracks ready for any
more water to be taken in fast.
I bet the weeds will love it.
David @ a damp side of Swansea Bay.
Old 25-07-2013, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-25 10:03:17 +0100, David Hill said:

Even that hasn't worked. The rain forecast for yesterday afternoon
turned out to be a few drops per square metre. Just enough to make
people rush out and bring things in.

Well here in This part of South Wales we had some good steady rain for
a large part of the night, I don't know how much as I forgot to empty
the rain gauge after using the sprinklers on the outside plants, but
there are no puddles, no mud and the ground still has cracks ready for
any more water to be taken in fast.
I bet the weeds will love it.
David @ a damp side of Swansea Bay.

I think we probably had about the same deal, David. It started at
around 11pm and probably went on for most of the night because there
were raindrops on the climbers outside our window this morning. But
things are so dry it will have helped the pots but probably not the
garden much. At least there's no outdoor watering today - yet!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 25-07-2013, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

Thunderstorms all last night with torrential rain here in Leics.
Perked the veggie plot up no end - no amount of watering is as good as
a downpour.

Downside was a text from Blight Alert for my postcode..great service,
btw, if you grow potatoes.

Tina

Rain, rain and rain here too. Very nice!
Is it a bit late now for potato blight?

Baz

No.

Old 25-07-2013, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 18:35:39 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

Thunderstorms all last night with torrential rain here in Leics.
Perked the veggie plot up no end - no amount of watering is as good as a
downpour.

Downside was a text from Blight Alert for my postcode..great service, btw,
if you grow potatoes.

Tina

Lucky you with the rain, not so good the blight alert. The rain does
tend to bring it in!
Good luck.

Pam in Bristol
Old 26-07-2013, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

We are due heavy rain tomorrow which will be a crying shame. Our Grandson
who joined the Royal Marine Band Service last September has his first public
parade at Gunwharf Quays at Portsmouth tomorrow. Forecast heavy rain. Corps
of Drums right on the front row so won't get any shelter from the rest of
the bandsmen and women.

1.00 pm if anyone is in the area. They always give a good show.

Mike

Sod's Law?

"Martin" wrote in message

wrote:

Thunderstorms all last night with torrential rain here in Leics.
Perked the veggie plot up no end - no amount of watering is as good as a
downpour.

Downside was a text from Blight Alert for my postcode..great service, btw,
if you grow potatoes.

Tina

Lucky you with the rain, not so good the blight alert. The rain does
tend to bring it in!
Good luck.

We still haven't had more than a few drops of rain.
Thunderstorms heading in our direction divide and pass to the east or
west of us.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Old 26-07-2013, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Thunderstorms all last night with torrential rain here in Leics.
Perked the veggie plot up no end - no amount of watering is as good as a
downpour.

Downside was a text from Blight Alert for my postcode..great service, btw,
if you grow potatoes.

Tina

Lucky you with the rain, not so good the blight alert. The rain does
tend to bring it in!
Good luck.

We still haven't had more than a few drops of rain.
Thunderstorms heading in our direction divide and pass to the east or
west of us.

Martin, that's just what seems to happen here.

Pam in Bristol
Old 27-07-2013, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 10:22:54 +0200, Martin wrote:

We still haven't had more than a few drops of rain.

I think that is about to change...

Thunderstorms heading in our direction divide and pass to the east or
west of us.

Massive one just heading out of France across Belgium on NE'ly path
to the Netherlands:

http://www.blitzortung.org/Webpages/...n&subpage_0=16

It does have a few very narrow gaps but they are very narrow, I'd say
it'll be over Suid Holland in the next 2 to 3 hours. That storm was
over the South Bay of Biscay/French coast late last night.

The rain radar shows some *very* heavy rain associated with it.

http://meteox.com/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=loop1uur

Two distinct bands earlier but have fallen apart a bit now.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 27-07-2013, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-27 11:38:23 +0100, Martin said:

On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 08:47:37 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 10:22:54 +0200, Martin wrote:

We still haven't had more than a few drops of rain.

I think that is about to change...

Thunderstorms heading in our direction divide and pass to the east or
west of us.

Massive one just heading out of France across Belgium on NE'ly path
to the Netherlands:

http://www.blitzortung.org/Webpages/...n&subpage_0=16

It does have a few very narrow gaps but they are very narrow, I'd say
it'll be over Zuid Holland in the next 2 to 3 hours. That storm was
over the South Bay of Biscay/French coast late last night.

It arrived at 11:00 BST with a flash and a bang as forecast by
www.buienradar.nl
It is still raining.

The rain radar shows some *very* heavy rain associated with it.

http://meteox.com/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=loop1uur

Two distinct bands earlier but have fallen apart a bit now.

So far, we've had just a few very tiny spits of rain but it's a bit
humid and overcast at 65F. If it's going to rain, I wish it would get
on with it and let the sun come back!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com