Old 09-09-2013, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT I've been baned from Tesco

On 08/09/2013 09:05, harryagain wrote:

I didn't know they let dogs into Tesco.

But if you shop online at Tesco, no-one knows you're a dog

--
regards
Andy

Old 09-09-2013, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-09-09 09:55:12 +0100, Dave Liquorice said:

On Mon, 09 Sep 2013 10:27:35 +0200, Martin wrote:

I didn't write what you attributed to me.

Count the 's. Only the lines with one are directly attributable to
the the person named at the top, as has been the case in usenet for
donkies years.

PLEASE can we not start this here. It already happens on another group
with someone who refuses to attribute as most people do and every so
often, 'quote wars' break out, as a result. Just leave in the name of
the person who wrote whatever you are quoting directly under their
name. NOBODY has the time to count indentation marks, surely!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-09-2013, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-09-09 10:23:24 +0100, Broadback said:

On 09/09/2013 10:03, Dave Liquorice wrote:
snip
Finally cold water is just "bracing". B-)

That is exactly what we have to do. But sadly I threw out the tin bath
a couple of years back.

Gasp! You should have dug a hole, sunk the bath in it - instant pond.
They're rather fashionable planters now, apparently!

--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-09-2013, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

On 09/09/2013 10:03, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 09 Sep 2013 08:38:29 +0100, Broadback wrote:

Well Bill,personally I care not how many spieling mistakes, grammatical
errors you made, the important thing for me was that you brightened up
my Monday morning, many thanks.

I almost suggested that if the story was true and recent he ought to
contact the tabloids and make a bob or two. B-)

I am feeling particularly p*ssed off as out combi boiler has been broken
for almost a week, so I am smelly and my hair could be used to fry
chips!

Oh dear, how sad. Can people not improvise thses days?

What's wrong with the wash basin/kitchen sink and kettle for hot
water? Or if the kettle is bust as well (implying no gas or
electricity supply, so pans no good either) the hose pipe filled with
water and laid out in the sun for a few hours, then drained into a
bucket to take indoors. That'll at least take the chill off it.

Finally cold water is just "bracing". B-)

That is exactly what we have to do. But sadly I threw out the tin bath a
couple of years back.

Plastic washing up bowl is cheap and works as well. Stand in it for
all over wash; then wash hair.

Don't your neighbours/friends have a shower you could use?

Janet
Old 09-09-2013, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/09/2013 17:53, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

The local swimming baths/pool will have showers.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

News wrote in news:wFiXt.207823$cn6.21269
@fx01.fr7:

On 08/09/2013 09:05, harryagain wrote:

I didn't know they let dogs into Tesco.

But if you shop online at Tesco, no-one knows you're a dog

Steady on now

Baz
Old 09-09-2013, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 09 Sep 2013 11:24:08 +0200, Martin wrote:

when you should have addressed your comment to whoever wrote
" I didn't know they let dogs into Tesco."

It is, count the 's. They aren't named but who cares, it's not
important. And as the comment is plainly not about *your* (single )
precious content getting in a strop is remarkably pointless.

This is a broadcast medium, The equivalent of standing in the middle
of a busy public space and using a loud hailer. Every body hears
everything but won't have a clue who said what after 30 seconds.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

NOBODY has the time to count indentation marks, surely!

Far better to remove all attribution than have pages of badly
formatted line wrapped attributions to scroll through hiding the
quotes.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 09 Sep 2013 10:38:41 +0100, David Hill wrote:

Which is presumably why they have been rebranded as just "Guide
Dogs". There are also dogs that guide humans in other ways as well
not just those with restricted vision. The wording on signage that
prohibits dogs but allows "guide dogs" doesn't have "for the

blind"
appended.

These are referred to as assistance dogs and have come together as
Assistance Dogs (UK)

Hum, so an "assistance dog" would not be allowed access where a
"guide dog" would be? If the signage wording was "No Dogs except
Assistance Dogs" both could pass.

Guide Dogs is a working name of The Guide Dogs for the Blind
Association. Registered Office: Hillfields, ...

Yes I posted that earlier. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-09-09 22:41:04 +0100, Dave Liquorice said:

NOBODY has the time to count indentation marks, surely!

Far better to remove all attribution than have pages of badly
formatted line wrapped attributions to scroll through hiding the
quotes.

Dave, when I first joined this group about 15 or 16 years ago, I got
shouted at very, very loudly for not snipping enough or doing it badly
and thus messing up attributions. That happened more than once until I
cleaned up my act. I was absolutely new to the whole newsgroup thing
and very nearly gave up at that point. But as I felt I needed help
(being newly arrived in England and with a garden that needed taming) I
persisted, learned to snip and tried to ensure I was attributing
correctly. It's not very hard, though it takes a tiny amount of
concentration at the time and indeed, any of us can get it wrong. But
while, most of the time, it doesn't matter at all, it can be very
galling to see views or beliefs to which one is diametrically opposed,
attributed to one's name! It is equally embarrassing to see someone's
else's brilliant answer to a tricky question, given under the wrong
name. Perhaps this isn't a subject worth pursuing too far, however?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 12-09-2013, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 9 Sep 2013 17:53:07 +0100, Janet wrote:

I am feeling particularly p*ssed off as out combi boiler has been broken
for almost a week, so I am smelly and my hair could be used to fry
chips!

Oh dear, how sad. Can people not improvise thses days?

What's wrong with the wash basin/kitchen sink and kettle for hot
water? Or if the kettle is bust as well (implying no gas or
electricity supply, so pans no good either) the hose pipe filled with
water and laid out in the sun for a few hours, then drained into a
bucket to take indoors. That'll at least take the chill off it.

Finally cold water is just "bracing". B-)

That is exactly what we have to do. But sadly I threw out the tin bath a
couple of years back.

Plastic washing up bowl is cheap and works as well. Stand in it for
all over wash; then wash hair.

I got some strange looks when I did something similar on the deck of a
boat as I needed to soak a bit more than a shower would allow.
But I was stood in a wheelie bin.
G.Harman
Old 12-09-2013, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jake
writes
On 9 Sep 2013 22:52:05 GMT, Victoria Conlan wrote:

wrote:
I was also at Tesco the other day, and I saw a dog licking his privates. I
said to his owner "I wish I could do that"
The owner said "Give him one of Davids biscuits and he will let you"

Now that is an old quote from Churchill

I know David said he's retired, but I didn't realise he was pals with
Chuchill ...

That's the real reason he was banned - standing in the entrance
smoking a fat cigar in defiance of their no-smoking policy (which
doesn't apply to certain pork and fish products I notice).

....and waving 2 fingers at other customers.
--
bert