Old 09-09-2013, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What the hell is wrong with this group?

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

Yes I did notice that but it's happened since this Ng was founded. I
myself got into some hot water years ago when I first subscribed and
quickly learnt to be careful what I get sucked into.
Gardening by it's very nature can have lots of correct answers for
many questions so arguments do and will happen, one just has to accept
that. Unfortunately, over the years, some knowledgeable members have
gone from the Ng because they could not accept being told they were
wrong, which is sad. None of us know it all or get it all correct and
seldom a week goes by without me adding to my knowledge.

Personally I think we are still OK here, unlike a lot of Usenet, and
certainly still do share our collective extensive experience/knowledge
with anyone that asks. Long may that continue.

Very well said.
This group is very "OK"
The likes of "steerpike" and "Mike" are a long long way ago.

I know that I can be a pain in the arse, but I am sorting that out.

Baz
Old 09-09-2013, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-09-09 19:58:59 +0100, Baz said:

Sacha wrote in
:

On 2013-09-09 17:47:35 +0100, Gary Woods said:

Sacha wrote:

But if it
were to be a moderated group, it might be better to start a new one,
imo.

Moderated groups tend to be kind of sterile, which goes against what
we gardeners hope for.... pointless arguments will always be with
us* visit any pub in any country- and using your reader's "ignore
thread" and killfile features helps a lot.

IMHO, there's nothing wrong with this group.

*See Cleese et al.

I agree. My own view is that this is a real treasure trove of
information for gardening at every level and all of us can receive
help and learn from others all the time. And I know there are people
who lurk and don't post and they'd miss out in a moderated group. The
persistent troll, or the occasional idiot that wanders in, don't
detract from the overall value of urg, imo. But quibbles about
spelling and grammar would be better left at the door, again imo only,
of course. Plenty of people are dyslexic to a greater or lesser degree
and really should not be dissuaded from posting here because someone
persists in objecting to errors. While sometimes it's necessary to
correct the spelling of plant names for the sake of good information,
the rest should be overlooked.

I agree.
And I like your creative spelling of Dislexick.:-)

Baz

KO. ;-) Several members of my wider family are dyslexic to a greater
or lesser degree but they're mostly rather clever, also to a greater or
lesser degree! ;-) So I do know that it's no reflection upon
intelligence or ability, though for some reason, I take the opposite
side of the family coin, because words and their spellings easily stick
in my head while I and maths are sworn enemies. Arithmetic, yes. Maths
= me, screaming and running into the hills. What really pains me about
the attitude to dyslexia is how easily - even now - people who suffer
from it can be dismissed as 'not very bright'. I know, absolutely,
that this is not the case, any more than someone who is colourblind
isn't 'very bright'. Dyslexia is a particular trial for peope in
horticulture. Not only are they trying to learn and write another
language when naming plants, or writing their labels, they're trying to
*remember* those names even without seeing them written down. I think
it takes quite a degree of persistence to go through that and continue
to battle with it throughout a career. Having had a lot of first hand
experience of people with dyslexia, I admire those who deal with it
daily very much
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-09-2013, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-09-09 20:26:53 +0100, Baz said:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

[...]

Baz, you're fine. Really. Baby steps. Nobody here is perfect. I should
know. ;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-09-2013, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 09 Sep 2013 10:43:10 +0100, David Hill wrote:

Baz posts a question about Kilner jars

Which has had it's moments but I have found educational.

This is a Gardening group not a Political correctness group.

Or a joke group.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-09-09 22:48:30 +0100, Dave Liquorice said:

On Mon, 09 Sep 2013 10:43:10 +0100, David Hill wrote:

Baz posts a question about Kilner jars

Which has had it's moments but I have found educational.

This is a Gardening group not a Political correctness group.

Or a joke group.

Oh come on - a few jokes among friends, eh? I should think we're
almost famous for our puns here! ;-) And most of us here are friendly
and some are friends irl. A little lightness of touch now and then does
no harm and nothing has ever truly wrenched this group dangerously off
topic, to my knowledge. A few days harmless nonsense doesn't deflect us
that badly, do you think?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 10-09-2013, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/09/2013 20:12, Baz wrote:
Esto tutemet ipse

Google can't translate that for me, so I'm stumped. "Be true to
yourself" maybe?
I got 57% in Latin "O" level in 1959 (strange the odd things one
remembers), but only because I learnt the set books by heart
Old 10-09-2013, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

stuart noble wrote:
I got 57% in Latin "O" level in 1959 (strange the odd things one
remembers), but only because I learnt the set books by heart

Is 57% good?
Old 10-09-2013, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-09-10 10:24:45 +0100, Victoria Conlan said:

stuart noble wrote:
I got 57% in Latin "O" level in 1959 (strange the odd things one
remembers), but only because I learnt the set books by heart

Is 57% good?

It meant you'd passed, which was quite good enough!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 10-09-2013, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote in news:b96thoF893cU1
@mid.individual.net:

[...]

My "training" to deal with dyslexia when reading, was to recognise the
word and not to get bogged down trying to spell it. But writing is a
different matter. Thanks to spell checker software it is quite easy now.
When I was at school there was no such thing. A NIGHTMARE.
My music teacher was sympathetic and taught me to read music, in a basic
way. And my maths teacher was stunned that I could master to some degree
algebra and trig. at age 11 when I went to the comprehensive school.
My primary school teacher thought I was thick, so I never tried to
impress her. I just grunted and got myself a bad attitude. My older
brother tought me most things then.

Thank goodness things have become better for the younger dyslexic.
Baz
Old 10-09-2013, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in
ll.co.uk:

On Mon, 09 Sep 2013 10:43:10 +0100, David Hill wrote:

Baz posts a question about Kilner jars

Which has had it's moments but I have found educational.

This is a Gardening group not a Political correctness group.

Or a joke group.

There you go then! Dave.

You know all about Kilners' AND learned a few jokes to make your mates
laugh. Where is the harm in that? A bit of fun.

I could tell you a joke that will make you laugh your cock off.
(oops. You have already heard it) Sorry about that.

Baz

Old 10-09-2013, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 11:51:06 +0000, Baz wrote:

Thank goodness things have become better for the younger dyslexic.

Efforts are being made, but kids still slip through. My nephew is one
such. No question things are better than they were, though.

-E

P.S. I think this is a good ng, I learn a lot here about new plants and/
or techniques. Thread drift and OT-ness are normal and not always bad.
Yes gardening content has been down recently but that will change I'm
sure.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 10-09-2013, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-09-10 12:51:06 +0100, Baz said:
snip

My "training" to deal with dyslexia when reading, was to recognise the
word and not to get bogged down trying to spell it. But writing is a
different matter. Thanks to spell checker software it is quite easy now.
When I was at school there was no such thing. A NIGHTMARE.
My music teacher was sympathetic and taught me to read music, in a basic
way. And my maths teacher was stunned that I could master to some degree
algebra and trig. at age 11 when I went to the comprehensive school.
My primary school teacher thought I was thick, so I never tried to
impress her. I just grunted and got myself a bad attitude. My older
brother tought me most things then.

Thank goodness things have become better for the younger dyslexic.
Baz

An awful lot depended on how old you are now! One of my family is
severely dyslexic and now in his fifties, another in their 30s has the
problem equally badly but wasn't diagnosed for years. The different
approaches, understanding, knowledge are simply astonishing. The 50
something had some kind of funny little machine that was supposed to
make it easier for him to read, iirc. Luckily, he went to a boarding
school where they were au fait with that kind of problem, as he was one
of the earliest to be diagnosed and treated with understanding and
specific assistance. At one time, 'they' thought left handed children
were more likely to be dyslexic. It's hardly strong evidence but I'm
the only (mostly) left handed member of my family and my spelling is
near perfect ( do not be fooled by the typos). This is not because of
some gift I have, it's just that I remember the construction of a word
easily and almost see a picture of it when I'm using it. And I learned
to read when very young and have always read a lot. Otoh, I am really,
really bad at maths (not arithmetic) and my brain just glazes over when
people start talking mathy things. And in that instance and thanks to
*my* age, I didn't have to do maths O level and gave up maths
altogether at 14. Dyslexia has absolutely zero to do with
intelligence. Otoh, how people express themselves and use words, even
if they can't spell, probably does! ;-) Just as a rider, when I was
at school in the 60s, a friend's brother joined the Fleet Air Arm. He
was horribly dyslexic apparently and his gloves were marked with 'L'
and 'R'. I cannot imagine how he got away with that!
--

Sacha
South Devon

Old 11-09-2013, 08:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote:

I post a joke,
Baz posts a question about Kilner jars
and many more items are posted and almost instantly a group of Pedants
jump on the topic and start a diatribe.
For Gods sake people Lighten Up.
This is a Gardening group not a Political correctness group.

I find this to be a very knowledgeable group with a high tolerance
factor. In comparison with some of the religious or political groups
this is nirvana.
I lurk a lot and post a little.

I do agree that Usenet is slowly but surely disappearing and migrating
to various forums and I deplore that. A few years ago Usenet was the
place that solved all sorts of computer related problems for me, with
serious respondents generous with their time and knowledge. Maybe those
times have gone, but this group is still OK.

Peter

--
-
The e-mail address obviously doesn't exist. If it's essential
Old 11-09-2013, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
I post a joke,
Baz posts a question about Kilner jars
and many more items are posted and almost instantly a group of Pedants
jump on the topic and start a diatribe.
For Gods sake people Lighten Up.
This is a Gardening group not a Political correctness group.

Hear! Hear!

Bill

Apologies Wrong Group :) Roknound Orchid Photos 0 19-11-2006 08:15 PM
Sorry wrong group:-) Josh Mills Ponds 0 28-03-2004 10:12 PM
apologies for post below... wrong group Mentalmick Lawns 0 15-01-2004 06:42 PM
Black brush algae from hell .D.E Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 02-04-2003 07:32 PM