Old 25-11-2013, 05:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default Shredder capacitor

harryagain wrote:

I have a similar machine (Alko3500)
The reversing switch (adjacent to the on off switch) is a bit dodgy on mine.
(Poor design)
I have had to fiddle with it a couple of times.

It might indeed be the switch, rather than the capacitor, but to
check this out, I still appear need access to the same area,
which is blocked by the security screw.

What precisely did your "fiddling" consist of?

Also there is an overload device that reverses the machine if it jams. This
might cause your problem.

I know that, but that doesn't seem to be the problem.

If the capacitor was faulty, it wouldn't run at all, it would just hum.

At the moment, the symptoms are that sometimes it just hums, and
has been known to blow the fuse in this stall condition.
Sometimes it starts OK, sometimes it starts in the reverse
direction. The direction is no longer influenced by the reversing
switch.

Once running it is perfectly OK.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 25-11-2013, 05:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

fred wrote:

In article , Chris J Dixon
writes

Further investigation is currently blocked, as one of the screws
in the top moulding, which is the first step to dismantling the
machine, has a one way head

I may be missing something but can't you just drill the head off?

I possibly might, but is probably the last resort.

Next time Lidl/Aldi have an offer on, buy a set of screw extractors ;-)

I'm not convinced that there is enough material to get a good
grip, nor that extractors are particularly successful for this
kind of situation. Am I alone in my skepticism?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 26-11-2013, 07:32 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
harryagain wrote:

[...]

On most electric motors,the start circuit is switched out once the machine
is running.

There is a stupid sort of cam operating a micro switch for reversing.
The switch was OK but the cam was semi seized and bunged up with crap.
Clue was reversing switch was stiff and didn't rotate as far as normal
Cleaned up and WD40 fixed it. So far at least. But still feels a bit dodgy
when I turn it.
V.poor design I would say.
The cover on mine just has pozidrive head screws, no security screw(s).
It's about four years old.

Old 26-11-2013, 08:44 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
.. .

Simple solution - just drill it out - no need to use a bench one either.
Start off with a bit that is a snug fit in the recess to indent the culprit
centre - drill through the head with a bit of
similar size to the bolt. finish off with same larger bit if necessary.

Pete

Old 27-11-2013, 02:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Tim+ wrote:

Chris J Dixon wrote:

Access is only from above. The screw is in a recess, and close to
a raised surround, making it pretty tricky to get at. Removing
one of the ordinary screws in the symmetrical location reveals it
to be a self tapper about 20 mm long.

How about a diamond tipped screwdriver blade? Apply a lot of pressure and
who knows, you might get lucky.

Full marks to that man! It worked a treat. Now I just have to
find time to complete the task and start fault-finding.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Old 27-11-2013, 03:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Chris J Dixon wrote:
Tim+ wrote:

How about a diamond tipped screwdriver blade? Apply a lot of pressure and
who knows, you might get lucky.

Full marks to that man! It worked a treat. Now I just have to
find time to complete the task and start fault-finding.

Chris

Must order myself a set for Christmas! Glad to hear that it worked.

Tim
Old 27-11-2013, 04:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

In message , Chris J Dixon
writes
Tim+ wrote:

Chris J Dixon wrote:

Access is only from above. The screw is in a recess, and close to
a raised surround, making it pretty tricky to get at. Removing
one of the ordinary screws in the symmetrical location reveals it
to be a self tapper about 20 mm long.

How about a diamond tipped screwdriver blade? Apply a lot of pressure and
who knows, you might get lucky.

Full marks to that man! It worked a treat. Now I just have to
find time to complete the task and start fault-finding.

The capacitor on the one I repaired was a charred lump. I can dig up the
supplier detail if helpful.

--
Tim Lamb
Old 27-11-2013, 06:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , Chris J Dixon
writes

Full marks to that man! It worked a treat. Now I just have to
find time to complete the task and start fault-finding.

The capacitor on the one I repaired was a charred lump. I can dig up the
supplier detail if helpful.

Thanks Tim, that would be useful to know.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 27-11-2013, 09:38 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

In message , Chris J Dixon
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , Chris J Dixon
writes

Full marks to that man! It worked a treat. Now I just have to
find time to complete the task and start fault-finding.

The capacitor on the one I repaired was a charred lump. I can dig up the
supplier detail if helpful.

Thanks Tim, that would be useful to know.

Capacitor for garden shredder (Bosch?) was made in Italy!

Replacement from Hi-Wire Ltd. ( www.hi-wire.co.uk)

ref.MC1998 Motor run cap 20MF 450V stud mount & plastic cap.

Cost 16/08/2011 £3.22 carriage £9.50 plus VAT came to £15.26

ARAIR CPC did something similar.

--
Tim Lamb
Old 28-11-2013, 07:12 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Tim Lamb wrote:

Capacitor for garden shredder (Bosch?) was made in Italy!

Replacement from Hi-Wire Ltd. ( www.hi-wire.co.uk)

ref.MC1998 Motor run cap 20MF 450V stud mount & plastic cap.

Cost 16/08/2011 £3.22 carriage £9.50 plus VAT came to £15.26

ARAIR CPC did something similar.

Thanks again Tim.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Old 16-01-2014, 02:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Tim Lamb wrote:

Capacitor for garden shredder (Bosch?) was made in Italy!
Replacement from Hi-Wire Ltd. ( www.hi-wire.co.uk)
ref.MC1998 Motor run cap 20MF 450V stud mount & plastic cap.
Cost 16/08/2011 £3.22 carriage £9.50 plus VAT came to £15.26

ARAIR CPC did something similar.

I finally found time to complete the opening up of my shredder,
which was straightforward, and it didn't take long to confirm
that the capacitor was the culprit - there was a large lump of
melted plastic on its side.

Luckily CPC were offering a free delivery, so it only cost me
£6.77.

Now fully working and ready for the next bit of pruning.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 16-01-2014, 04:16 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

In message , Chris J Dixon
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

Capacitor for garden shredder (Bosch?) was made in Italy!
Replacement from Hi-Wire Ltd. ( www.hi-wire.co.uk)
ref.MC1998 Motor run cap 20MF 450V stud mount & plastic cap.
Cost 16/08/2011 £3.22 carriage £9.50 plus VAT came to £15.26

ARAIR CPC did something similar.

I finally found time to complete the opening up of my shredder,
which was straightforward, and it didn't take long to confirm
that the capacitor was the culprit - there was a large lump of
melted plastic on its side.

Luckily CPC were offering a free delivery, so it only cost me
£6.77.

Congratulations:-) Your recycle bin will now benefit by 1/2cwt of CPC
catalogues!

Now fully working and ready for the next bit of pruning.

Apple pruning time if it ever stops raining.

--
Tim Lamb
Old 17-01-2014, 12:28 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 16:16:42 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

Luckily CPC were offering a free delivery, ...

The free delivery for web orders has been permenant for quite a while
now.

Congratulations:-) Your recycle bin will now benefit by 1/2cwt of CPC
catalogues!

We don't take a newspaper so the inside pages make great starting
paper for the woodburner. The covers are too glossy.

--
Cheers
Dave.