Old 09-05-2003, 06:46 PM
Colin Davidson

Default Wild Garlic

"Anthony E Anson" wrote in message

Yes. But they're subterranean, so could be considered roots... Unless
perhaps not being allowed to dig up roots would allow us to hunt for

corms
and tubers also?

No. Fungus has a mycelium, not a root.

And a tuber made of stem tissue, not root. Is a potato now not a root
vegetable? Got to be very careful when insisting on botanical/mycological
definitions.

No. But is a fungus legally different?

Yes, though certain mainly ignorant but influential voices are trying to
get legislation enacted that will effectively prevent anyone from
picking fungi.

Really?

Old 09-05-2003, 06:46 PM
Colin Davidson

"Anthony Anson" wrote in message

In which case (assuming that it unequivocably labels it as a 'plant')
the part pertaining to the hedgehog is not enfoceable. Bloody daft too,
as I have seen clones of that covering about a quarter of an acre in
Scotland.

I bet they haven't added Amanita phalloides, verna and virosa - much

rarer....

I wonder also if Satans Bolete is in the list. I'll have to have a closer
look...

Old 09-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Anthony E Anson

The message
from "Colin Davidson" contains these words:

Yes, though certain mainly ignorant but influential voices are trying to
get legislation enacted that will effectively prevent anyone from
picking fungi.

Really?

'Fraid so. I've got a news cutting stashed awai in a heap somewhere or other.

--
Tony
Replace solidi with dots to reply: tony/anson snailything zetnet/co/uk

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi
Old 09-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Anthony E Anson

The message
from "Colin Davidson" contains these words:

A shame that the hedgehog fungus and it's relatives are so scarce in the
wild. Not only would it be nice to come across them, but they make
especially good eating (I've only eaten imported specimens).

They are plentiful in the Highlands of Scotland.

Old 10-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Anthony E Anson contains these words:

The message
from "Colin Davidson" contains these words:

Yes, though certain mainly ignorant but influential voices are trying to
get legislation enacted that will effectively prevent anyone from
picking fungi.

Really?

'Fraid so. I've got a news cutting stashed awai in a heap somewhere or
other.

Isn't that also because commercially minded pickers have been
stripping "wild" colonies? I know a woodland area within reach of
Glasgow which was regularly targetted by a vanload of pickers who were
supplying upmarket restaurants; without the land owner's consent.

Janet

Old 11-05-2003, 01:08 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from Anthony E Anson contains these words:

The message
from "Colin Davidson" contains these words:

Yes, though certain mainly ignorant but influential voices are trying to
get legislation enacted that will effectively prevent anyone from
picking fungi.

Really?

'Fraid so. I've got a news cutting stashed awai in a heap somewhere or
other.

Isn't that also because commercially minded pickers have been
stripping "wild" colonies? I know a woodland area within reach of
Glasgow which was regularly targetted by a vanload of pickers who were
supplying upmarket restaurants; without the land owner's consent.

Yes. There is a traditional war between gypsies who have collected
field mushrooms for sale as far back as anyone can remember and the
landowners who want to stop them. Some 20 years back, the trend for
wild mushrooms extended from blewits in the Midlands and so on to
the fancy London restaurants. When I have been back to the places
I used to pick fungi in the New Forest, the locations with the main
edible varieties have clearly been picked out very early.

Of course, the damn bureaucrats and their camp followers regard the
Right Solution to this as making fungi the landowners' property,
rather than addressing the ecological problems that mean suitable
woodlands are shrinking.

I know of no evidence that picking for personal use ever has caused
a noticeable effect, which isn't going to stop it being banned.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:33 PM
Anthony E Anson

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:
The message
from Anthony E Anson contains these words:
The message
from "Colin Davidson" contains these words:

Yes, though certain mainly ignorant but influential voices are
trying to
get legislation enacted that will effectively prevent anyone from
picking fungi.

Really?

'Fraid so. I've got a news cutting stashed awai in a heap somewhere or
other.

Isn't that also because commercially minded pickers have been
stripping "wild" colonies? I know a woodland area within reach of
Glasgow which was regularly targetted by a vanload of pickers who were
supplying upmarket restaurants; without the land owner's consent.

That's probably what triggered the campaign, but there should be found
be better ways of controlling that particular menace.

In Scotland, there isn't a law of common trespass, and provided you do
no damage, or remove the owner's property, there's nothing in law
(AFAIK, BICBW) to prevent the wholesale looting of fungi. In England at
least, they are not considered the property of the landowner, just as
treasure trove bypasses him.

Old 12-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Jon

x-no-archive: yes,On Tue, 6 May 2003 11:41:20 +0100, Anthony E Anson
wrote:

The message
from "Colin Davidson" contains these words:
"Jon" wrote in message

Does anyone have any advice on wild garlic? It grows profusely here,
but I don't know if I can do anything worthwhile with it. Can the
young shoots be used early in the season? Anything? It smells
wonderful when you stand on it:-)

Pick the leaves sparingly, and add them to salads, sandwiches, etc. Chop
them fine and use them like chives or garlic in cooking. I've often wrapped
small chickens with them (with a bit of butter), wrapped them in foil, and
roasted them. Or add them to potato soup. One of the best wild foods, very
versatile.

Hmmm. Been trying to lay my hands on some ransomes for yonks, Jon -
could you save me some seeds when they're ready, please?

I shall try... if I remember:-)
And thanks to Colin for the only bit of advice ( see massive spiel )

Jon

Old 12-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Jon

x-no-archive: yes,On Mon, 05 May 2003 23:50:19 +0100, Stephen Howard
wrote:

On Mon, 05 May 2003 21:38:38 +0100, Jon wrote:

Does anyone have any advice on wild garlic? It grows profusely here,
but I don't know if I can do anything worthwhile with it. Can the
young shoots be used early in the season? Anything? It smells
wonderful when you stand on it:-)

D'you mean Ramsons - the broad leaved wild garlic with the little
sprays of white flowers?
The leaves are great in salads, or chopped and used like chives in
other dishes.

It's a wonderful smell in the wild - in this part of Hants there's
tons of 'em growing away merrily.
Only problem is, once they go over they start whiffing a bit - and
en-masse it's a bit of a stench.

Regards,

Thanks Stephen, unfortunately everyone else went off on one. I ask a
simple question, go away for a few days and come back to 97 messages,
95 of which were offering no advice at all.
Still, glad you all enjoyed the thread that you made it:-)
Jon

Old 13-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Anthony E Anson

The message
from Jon contains these words:

Thanks Stephen, unfortunately everyone else went off on one. I ask a
simple question, go away for a few days and come back to 97 messages,
95 of which were offering no advice at all.
Still, glad you all enjoyed the thread that you made it:-)

That's usenet for you.

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Supplier of Wild Garlic wanted ??? gray bale United Kingdom 2 20-06-2003 08:20 PM
Wild Garlic and back to bluebells non-scripta Hussein M. United Kingdom 2 09-05-2003 06:46 PM
Wild garlic Chris Hogg United Kingdom 0 30-03-2003 02:33 AM
wild garlic/onion. Terry Lynton United Kingdom 2 17-11-2002 02:09 AM