Old 13-01-2014, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ladders best

I currently have a fairly tall ' a frame' ladder from which I cut my
hedges nut I need to cut the water shoots from my Bramley Apple tree
which is too high for the 7 foot I can reach at the moment.

Seen the collapsible straight ones on the market and wondered if they
were fairly safe/sturdy to use ? If not what should I go for in a long
ladder, as if I am buying one I may as well get one that reaches
upstairs windows etc.
--
Janet Tweedy
South Buckinghamshire

---

Old 13-01-2014, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/01/2014 11:59, Janet Tweedy wrote:
I currently have a fairly tall ' a frame' ladder from which I cut my
hedges nut I need to cut the water shoots from my Bramley Apple tree
which is too high for the 7 foot I can reach at the moment.

Seen the collapsible straight ones on the market and wondered if they
were fairly safe/sturdy to use ? If not what should I go for in a long
ladder, as if I am buying one I may as well get one that reaches
upstairs windows etc.

Depends if you can prop it up against the trunk or some other sturdy
part of the tree. You may have to extend it further than you think to
find a good support. I have a 3 section 10 foot aluminium job which I
can just about manage on my own. Have never used it for tree work though.

Maybe a window cleaner's ladder? They are narrow at the top.
Old 13-01-2014, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet Tweedy wrote:

I currently have a fairly tall ' a frame' ladder from which I cut my
hedges nut I need to cut the water shoots from my Bramley Apple tree
which is too high for the 7 foot I can reach at the moment.

Seen the collapsible straight ones on the market and wondered if they
were fairly safe/sturdy to use ? If not what should I go for in a long
ladder, as if I am buying one I may as well get one that reaches
upstairs windows etc.

We got an industrial platform step ladder (10' if I recall) some time
ago, on the grounds we were getting older and I have no balance worth
a damn, and have never regretted it. It's just SO much more stable
than the alternatives.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-01-2014, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 11:59:53 +0000, Janet Tweedy wrote:

I currently have a fairly tall ' a frame' ladder from which I cut my
hedges nut I need to cut the water shoots from my Bramley Apple tree
which is too high for the 7 foot I can reach at the moment.

7 foot working height (ie shoulders) doesn't seem very high from near
the top of "fairly tall ' a frame' ladder". Think we need to tie
down what working height you need.

Have you considered the long reach pruners/loppers you can get? Not
things with a saw on the end but things with a secatur type head.

http://www.spear-and-jackson.com/pro...g-reach-pruner
(there is an tiltable head one as well)

But at only 6' overall that doesn't strike me as particularly "long
reach". This one is just over 7'6", still not very
long...:

http://www.spear-and-jackson.com/pro...arp-advantage-
telescopic-tree-pruner

Seen the collapsible straight ones on the market and wondered if they
were fairly safe/sturdy to use ?

Safe as any ladder, which isn't all that safe IMHO. They do flex a
bit.

If not what should I go for in a long ladder, as if I am buying one I
may as well get one that reaches upstairs windows etc.

If you have that use as well as the tree trimming then some form of
extension ladder is the requirement. If you want to be able to work
on the window frame tops the ladder needs to be long enough to reach
the wall above the window when at the working angle (15 degrees off
vertical or 1 unit out for every 4 units up). For a normal sort of 2
floor house that'll be about twenty feet maximum working extension.
For a two section that'll mean a ladder with a minimum lenght around
14' (extension ladders overlap by about 4' minimum). Have you some
where secure and out of sight to store it. Tea leaves like ladders to
gain access to open 2nd floor windows your or a neighbours... 14' can
be quite a handful in a breeze a three section may well be a better
option. You don't have to use it as a three section if two would be
long enough for lower heights.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 13-01-2014, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote

Janet Tweedy wrote:

I currently have a fairly tall ' a frame' ladder from which I cut my
hedges nut I need to cut the water shoots from my Bramley Apple tree
which is too high for the 7 foot I can reach at the moment.

Seen the collapsible straight ones on the market and wondered if they
were fairly safe/sturdy to use ? If not what should I go for in a long
ladder, as if I am buying one I may as well get one that reaches
upstairs windows etc.

We got an industrial platform step ladder (10' if I recall) some time
ago, on the grounds we were getting older and I have no balance worth
a damn, and have never regretted it. It's just SO much more stable
than the alternatives.

This sort of thing Nick?
http://www.ladderstore.com/step-ladd...epladders.html

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 13-01-2014, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote ...

I currently have a fairly tall ' a frame' ladder from which I cut my hedges
nut I need to cut the water shoots from my Bramley Apple tree which is too
high for the 7 foot I can reach at the moment.

Seen the collapsible straight ones on the market and wondered if they were
fairly safe/sturdy to use ? If not what should I go for in a long ladder,
as if I am buying one I may as well get one that reaches upstairs windows
etc.

I've looked at these before, neighbour has something similar to trim their
Leylandii hedge (occasionally!)
http://www.laddersalesdirect.co.uk/m...iser-legs.html

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 13-01-2014, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Nick Maclaren" wrote

Janet Tweedy wrote:

I currently have a fairly tall ' a frame' ladder from which I cut my
hedges nut I need to cut the water shoots from my Bramley Apple tree
which is too high for the 7 foot I can reach at the moment.

Seen the collapsible straight ones on the market and wondered if they
were fairly safe/sturdy to use ? If not what should I go for in a long
ladder, as if I am buying one I may as well get one that reaches
upstairs windows etc.

We got an industrial platform step ladder (10' if I recall) some time
ago, on the grounds we were getting older and I have no balance worth
a damn, and have never regretted it. It's just SO much more stable
than the alternatives.

This sort of thing Nick?
http://www.ladderstore.com/step-ladd...epladders.html

Yes.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-01-2014, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message ...

I've looked at these before, neighbour has something similar to trim their
Leylandii hedge (occasionally!)
http://www.laddersalesdirect.co.uk/m...iser-legs.html

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Well - I would welcome the answer to these unanswered queries.
What is the nature of the standing at the base of the tree.
How often will these things on your tree need attention.
What is the diameter of the tree and the diameter of the shoots.
Do you need a larger ladder for any other purpose and how often.

??????

My uninformed advice so far would be to consider hireing.

Regards
Pete

Old 13-01-2014, 10:00 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Tweedy[_3_] View Post
I currently have a fairly tall ' a frame' ladder from which I cut my
hedges nut I need to cut the water shoots from my Bramley Apple tree
which is too high for the 7 foot I can reach at the moment.

Seen the collapsible straight ones on the market and wondered if they
were fairly safe/sturdy to use ? If not what should I go for in a long
ladder, as if I am buying one I may as well get one that reaches
upstairs windows etc.
-
Have you considered a scaffolding tower instead? If you can stand it near enough to the tree it's more stable than a ladder, and has a better lateral reach, you don't spend as much time going up and down.

I wouldn't like to use a pointed top window cleaner's ladder on a rounded tree trunk.

Long handled tools sound great, but they need a lot of upper body strength. You probably have that at the moment, but it's a thing to think about for the future.
__________________
Old 14-01-2014, 02:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/01/2014 12:14, start noble wrote:
Depends if you can prop it up against the trunk or some other sturdy
part of the tree. You may have to extend it further than you think to
find a good support. I have a 3 section 10 foot aluminium job which I
can just about manage on my own. Have never used it for tree work though.

Maybe a window cleaner's ladder? They are narrow at the top.

might be an idea! Thanks. Plenty of branches to prop the ladder up against.

--
Janet Tweedy
South Buckinghamshire

---

Old 14-01-2014, 02:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/01/2014 13:16, Nick Maclaren wrote:
We got an industrial platform step ladder (10' if I recall) some time
ago, on the grounds we were getting older and I have no balance worth
a damn, and have never regretted it. It's just SO much more stable
than the alternatives.

where on earth do you store that then?

--
Janet Tweedy
South Buckinghamshire

---

Old 14-01-2014, 02:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/01/2014 15:38, Bob Hobden wrote:
This sort of thing Nick?
http://www.ladderstore.com/step-ladd...epladders.html

I thought he meant a sort of mobile scaffolding.

--
Janet Tweedy
South Buckinghamshire

---