Old 06-05-2003, 02:23 AM
Shirley

Default Scented Clematis

Last year I bought 3 un-named Clematis, one seems to be Clematis Alpina and
the other 2 are Montana types (thought they were Alba & Rubens) but both
have scented pink flowers, does C. Rubens have scented flowers ?

Whatever it's name is, it smells delicious :-)
--
Shirley
see my cats at

Old 06-05-2003, 04:44 PM
c.mcculloch

When I read this post this morning, I thought no, C. montana rubens does not
have scented flowers, because neither of mine have scent. However, I am just
back from walking the dog, and came across one - definitely C. montana
rubens - with a scent powerful enough for me to track it from 30 or so yards
away. The scent is rather like that of some petunias. A check via Google
shows that the RHS lists a C. montana var rubens 'Odorata'. I guess that
this must be what you have!

Colin

Old 06-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Rachel Sullivan

In article , Shirley
writes
Last year I bought 3 un-named Clematis, one seems to be Clematis Alpina and
the other 2 are Montana types (thought they were Alba & Rubens) but both
have scented pink flowers, does C. Rubens have scented flowers ?

Whatever it's name is, it smells delicious :-)

Quite a few montanas are scented. Elizabeth, Alexander, Fragrant
Spring, Odorata, rubens (East Malling form)[1], Tetrarose, Entel,
Jacqui, Mayleen, Pink Perfection, Wilsonii, (chocolate) Vera & possibly
others.

[1] Rubens has been propagated from seed for so long (and lost its
purity as a result) or confused with other varieties and mis-named.
East Malling Research Station selected this form as being the closest to
the original introduced in the 1880's. It is sweetly scented.

--
Rachel
Clematis Web Site
Old 06-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Shirley

Thanks Rachel, I'm still not sure which one it is as none of the ones on
your site have foliage the same colour (very dark bronzy purple colour)
guess I'll have to take a picture, it's a shame pictures don't capture the
scent too ;-).

--
Shirley
see my cats at
http://communities.msn.co.uk/Friendsfamilyandfelines2
http://uk.msnusers.com/friendsfamilyandfelines3

"Rachel Sullivan" wrote in message
In article , Shirley
writes

Old 07-05-2003, 09:32 AM
Rick McGreal

Rachel Sullivan wrote in
:

Quite a few montanas are scented. Elizabeth, Alexander, Fragrant
Spring, Odorata, rubens (East Malling form)[1], Tetrarose, Entel,
Jacqui, Mayleen, Pink Perfection, Wilsonii, (chocolate) Vera &
possibly others.

Does anyone know if these will grow in a shady north-west facing plot with
good drainage?

I need something (A nice climber perhaps) near the front door to fill in a
small trianglar plot.....At the moment I have a few heathers.....But its
looking a little empty....ANd I wanmt something taller at the back....

Old 09-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Rachel Sullivan

In article , Rick McGreal
writes
Rachel Sullivan wrote in
:

Quite a few montanas are scented. Elizabeth, Alexander, Fragrant
Spring, Odorata, rubens (East Malling form)[1], Tetrarose, Entel,
Jacqui, Mayleen, Pink Perfection, Wilsonii, (chocolate) Vera &
possibly others.

Does anyone know if these will grow in a shady north-west facing plot with
good drainage?

How shady? Are we talking coal hole here, or fairly light but not
direct sun?

And how good drainage? Sahara dry, or retentive but not waterlogged?
If it's dry, dig some decent stuff in there & make sure you keep a
clematis well watered (especially when it's getting established).

I need something (A nice climber perhaps) near the front door to fill in a
small trianglar plot.....At the moment I have a few heathers.....But its
looking a little empty....ANd I wanmt something taller at the back....

You could try a montana, (they aren't desperately expensive, so wouldn't
hurt too much if it failed) but the scented ones do best & the fragrance
is more obvious if they get some sunshine. There are lot of clematis
that want shady/dappled shade though, generally the pale varieties that
bleach out in the sun. Nelly Moser for instance, Silver Moon & the (one
of) the new Chelsea launches, 'Paradise Queen' - very Nellyish but with
pearly-white flowers in the autumn. Lots more - think pale delicate
colours.

--
Rachel
Clematis Web Site
Old 09-05-2003, 08:32 PM
Rick McGreal

Rachel Sullivan wrote in
:

How shady? Are we talking coal hole here, or fairly light but not
direct sun?

Oh.....B-)
Its a fairly shady spot....No direct sun after about 9am ....

And how good drainage? Sahara dry, or retentive but not waterlogged?

It will hold water about 3" down....But the top will dry off fairly
quickly...

If it's dry, dig some decent stuff in there & make sure you keep a
clematis well watered (especially when it's getting established).

Yup.....

You could try a montana, (they aren't desperately expensive, so
wouldn't hurt too much if it failed) but the scented ones do best &
the fragrance is more obvious if they get some sunshine.

Well....Its not going to get much sunshine....
Only very early....
It will get more if it grows over the height of the outhouse....

There are lot of clematis that want shady/dappled shade though, generally
the pale varieties that bleach out in the sun. Nelly Moser for instance,
Silver Moon & the (one of) the new Chelsea launches, 'Paradise Queen'
- very Nellyish but with pearly-white flowers in the autumn. Lots
more - think pale delicate colours.

I'll keep an eye out at the garden centre.....Then look to see if any of my
neighbours has one! B-)

Old 09-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Rick McGreal wrote:
Rachel Sullivan wrote in
:

[...]

Go for it. That is very close to the way that most clematis grow
in the wild, including the common woodbine. That will grow on
chalk, and is quite happy to send its roots feet down after water,
but likes good drainage. They also grow under trees, and don't
get full sun until they reach the top.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Rick McGreal

Anthony E Anson wrote in
:

I may have a few to spare - - - - -

Small single lilac-coloured flower with yellow sexy bits in the middle,
and lightly scented.
Form an orderly queueueueueue please.

Being the skint bugger I am I will ALWAYS accept donations! B-)

If you don't mind!

Let me know how much it will cost and I will send you my address by private
mail...

Thanks!

Old 17-05-2003, 10:56 AM
Anthony E Anson

The message
from Rick McGreal contains these words:
Anthony E Anson wrote in
:

I may have a few to spare - - - - -

Small single lilac-coloured flower with yellow sexy bits in the middle,
and lightly scented.
Form an orderly queueueueueue please.

Being the skint bugger I am I will ALWAYS accept donations! B-)

If you don't mind!

Let me know how much it will cost and I will send you my address by private
mail...

e-mail me in a couple of months - and you're welcome. Please note,
e-mail address in sig.

--
Tony
Replace solidi with dots to reply: tony/anson snailything zetnet/co/uk

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi
Old 17-05-2003, 10:56 AM
Anthony Anson

The message
from Rick McGreal contains these words:
Anthony E Anson wrote in
:

I may have a few to spare - - - - -

Small single lilac-coloured flower with yellow sexy bits in the middle,
and lightly scented.
Form an orderly queueueueueue please.

Being the skint bugger I am I will ALWAYS accept donations! B-)

If you don't mind!

Let me know how much it will cost and I will send you my address by private
mail...

Thanks!

My reply doesn't seem to have arrived - along with a lot of other posts
recently - I said: e-mail me in a couple of months or so and hope that
they have taken.

They haven't wilted yet.

--
Tony