Old 12-02-2014, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Slugs have no taste

On 12/02/2014 14:10, Martin wrote:

On 2014-02-10 22:31:30 +0000, Spider said:

On 10/02/2014 17:10, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Spider wrote:
On 10/02/2014 12:20, kay wrote:
'Pete C[_2_ Wrote:
;998437']
You garden bare foot??

If you go around barefoot (which I used to do as a child,
gravel and
holly leaves notwithstanding), you pay a lot more attention to
what
your
feet are telling you. Even though I normally wear shoes now, I'm
more
sure-footed than the rest of m family, much less likely to trip
over
things or step on breakable or obnoxious stuff.

I agree. I used to go barefoot a lot in my youth and still am
fairly
sure-footed. It helps having 8 of course ;~).

Whereas I find it much easier to go barefoot because I am quite the
opposite of sure-footed! With no vestibular (semi-circular canal)
balance, I balance almost entirely by touch through my feet and
proprioreception. But, when I would lose feeling because of the
cold, I simply HAVE to wear boots :-(

But, I quite agree with the attention point - not just consciously,
but in terms of reflexes.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

What a tricky condition to live with. Clearly, you've found a way,
but it must be hard in winter - now, in fact.
In spite of being generally sure-footed, I do suffer with a mild form
of 'vertigo' and can suddenly become dizzy. Heights are tricky, too.
I can get dizzy just standing at the kerb waiting to cross a road.
I suppose we all have our little cross to bear.

Spider, I too suffer from the sort of vertigo you describe and it's
all
down to my neck vertebrae. If you haven't seen a good osteopath,
may I
suggest you do. With regular treatment, my vertigo is mostly kept at
bay. Do email me if you'd like to know more.

Thank you, Sacha. As you'll see from my further response to Nick, I
recognise problems with both my neck and my ears. I do know a very
good sports physio chap who usually works on my back, so I could ask
him about it. He is very experienced and informed and I trust him
(hugely important). I've seen a couple of osteopaths who've worked on
my neck, but it seems to inflame my migraine so I have to be really
careful. I can't have Acupuncture either, unfortunately, which
friends have suggested. I had it once and it was so painful I went
into shock! Never, ever again :~((.

It's possible the neck/ear thing is connected. I'm trying to remember
the name of the cure for the ear problem but very basically (and I
haven't had this treatment) an expert in the subject moves you from one
position to another very quickly. From what I remember being told, it's
something to do with dislodging crystals inside the ear that cause the
giddiness. I used to get my neck 'clicked' regularly but stopped that
when I felt that the positioning of my neck before the click was making
me giddy in itself. That was quite alarming! The person I go to once a
month now is a combination of osteopath, deep tissue massage and Swedish
massage. I feel as if I've been run over by a truck afterwards - but in
a good way!

Oooer! That sounds a bit aggressive. I suppose I shall have to talk
to my GP and cover all the details. I would prefer a once-only cure
so I never have to see a doctor again. Doctors and medics in general
increase my blood pressure, so I see mine no more often than I have
to, but needs must.
Thanks anyway, Sacha. I shall if I can find out what that treatment
is called and do some research.
I'm pleased to hear your treatment is helping.

I don't think it's aggressive because (aiui) no wrenching is involved.
It's a quick change of position. Having looked a bit further, I *think*
it's called the Hackville manoeuvre. I see my osteo once a month and
the treatment she gives is so 'deep' that this seems to be enough.

Having done some research, you're clearly referring to the Hallpike Test
and Epley Manoeuvre. It doesn't look too horrendous. It's certainly
something to think about. I will mention it to my physio next time I see
him and see what he thinks. He also does deep massaging and
manipulation, so he may well be able to do something. Thanks for
mentioning it.

Neck manipulation can be dangerous only a real expert should do it. Advice from
my GP and two physios, one of whom is my daughter.

Don't worry. I won't try it unless I'm sure. My physio is a real pro, a
Senior Physiotherapist with a well-known sports centre which must remain
anonymous. If it can't be done safely, it won't be done at all.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 12-02-2014, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Bill Grey wrote:

. Heights are tricky, too. I
can get dizzy just standing at the kerb waiting to cross a road.
I suppose we all have our little cross to bear.

A huge number of people have balance impairment, as vestibular
function is one of the first things to go as people get older,
and quite a few medical conditions can cause it to degrade
(often permanently).

How do you manage when hill walking, there must be times when exposure is
problem?

I wear flexible boots and thick, woollen socks. The former (and my
use of my ankles and toes) keeps the blood flowing, and the latter
remain insulating even when fairly wet. And I don't walk in the
winter unless I can keep them dry! So I tend to start losing
balance only when I have incipient hypothermia, which is something
that needs urgent attention.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Glad to hear that you can work round the problem. Keep going for as long as
you can.

Bill

Old 12-02-2014, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bill Grey wrote:

A huge number of people have balance impairment, as vestibular
function is one of the first things to go as people get older,
and quite a few medical conditions can cause it to degrade
(often permanently).

How do you manage when hill walking, there must be times when exposure is
a problem?

I wear flexible boots and thick, woollen socks. The former (and my
use of my ankles and toes) keeps the blood flowing, and the latter
remain insulating even when fairly wet. And I don't walk in the
winter unless I can keep them dry! So I tend to start losing
balance only when I have incipient hypothermia, which is something
that needs urgent attention.

Glad to hear that you can work round the problem. Keep going for as long as
you can.

Thanks! Yes, I will. But, as I frequently say, I am lucky in having
lost hearing and balance after having learnt to talk and walk, and
while young enough to develop new neural pathways. I have never
really known anything very different, and few people realise unless
I tell them.

People who lose them in old age (i.e. past 15!) have more trouble,
but the really unfortunate ones are the ones who lose them as babies.
Nowadays, in places like the UK, that can be helped - but it's still
not easy.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

I seem to remember in my younger day a chap called Albert Pierrepoint
who but a fair few people out of their misery with his form of neck
manipulation, or stretching.
None of his clients ever complained.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-02-12 14:08:17 +0000, Martin said:

Spider wrote:
On 10/02/2014 12:20, kay wrote:
'Pete C[_2_ Wrote:
[...]

I did the exercises around two years ago and there has been no re-occurence.

Very promising indeed!

It can still leave you with other sorts of balance problems, but at least I
don't get the whirling pits sensation and total inability to stay upright
anymore.

Mine was always worse when I was prone. Wake up, turn head on pillow
and straight into orbit. In the very early days, when I was 30, it was
put down to 'anxiety' because I'd just had a child. I actually had an
attack on the examination table in the doc's surgery just before I gave
birth and he observed the nystagmus, so he knew it was true vertigo. I
had the pouring water into the ears test which proved absolutely
nothing. From time to time I staggered around like the Town Drunk and
it was only when it was explained to me that the neck and/or ears could
be involved either jointly or severally, that I got the right treatment
and continue to get it, though now in a non-aggressive but very
thorough form.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 12-02-2014, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:
On 10/02/2014 12:20, kay wrote:
'Pete C[_2_ Wrote:
[...]

Epley! That's it. Whether that is likely to be helpful to you depends
on what your physio thinks is causing your problem. Otoh, as it's
non-invasive and doesn't wrench your neck about, the physio or you may
well think it worth a try.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 12-02-2014, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:
On 10/02/2014 12:20, kay wrote:
'Pete C[_2_ Wrote:
[...]

IF I'd gone that route it would have been done by just such an expert
at Newton Abbot Hospital ENT department. The osteo I go to wouldn't
attempt it herself.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 12-02-2014, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-02-12 18:44:35 +0000, David Hill said:

[...]

Oh, that dark Celtic humour! ;-))
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 14-02-2014, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-02-12 18:44:35 +0000, David Hill said:

[...]

There's a treatment for spinal problems where the patient is suspended by the
head without fatal consequences, usually.

My osteo always stretches my neck at the end of each treatment but not
in the way David cites!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com