Old 11-02-2014, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Slugs have no taste

On 10/02/2014 23:20, David Hill wrote:
On 09/02/2014 20:08, Spider wrote:
On 09/02/2014 19:43, Nick Maclaren wrote:
I am feeding some of my unwelcome guests on Tesco Value bitter
and lager, and they seem to like it. In the interests of science,
I tried a sip of each. The former is vaguely reminiscient of
Grotney's Gaslight, for those who are very ancient, but the
latter is very like sex in a punt (to use the classic description).
Fizzy and wet, and with a vague flavour that I would have been
hard put to identify without knowing what the stuff was sold as.
Still, at 25 pence a shot, it's clearly the Right Stuff - for slugs.

Mainly garden slugs, with some field slugs - the large black and
red slugs do not seem to be active yet. The latter are the ones
that seriously annoy my wife (and me, when I tread on them with
bare feet), but the former are pretty annoying, too. It was last
year that triggered me into creating a dozen slug traps from old
2-litre fizzy drinks bottles (my daughters have low taste in such
things, though much better in real drinks) and some spare roof
tiles.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Oh, thank goodness, Nick! I thought for a moment that you'd been eating
the disgusting things. Yuk!

I'm afraid I just give my slugs and snails flying lessons - or should
that be lesions! Heh heh.

For those who have been disappointed by the way this thread has gone,
this link may bring it back to what you expected
http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipe...and-cook-slugs

Sounds like a recipe for an emetic! :~(

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 11-02-2014, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/02/2014 22:51, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Spider wrote:

You garden bare foot??

If you go around barefoot (which I used to do as a child, gravel and
holly leaves notwithstanding), you pay a lot more attention to what your
feet are telling you. Even though I normally wear shoes now, I'm more
sure-footed than the rest of m family, much less likely to trip over
things or step on breakable or obnoxious stuff.

I agree. I used to go barefoot a lot in my youth and still am fairly
sure-footed. It helps having 8 of course ;~).

Whereas I find it much easier to go barefoot because I am quite the
opposite of sure-footed! With no vestibular (semi-circular canal)
balance, I balance almost entirely by touch through my feet and
proprioreception. But, when I would lose feeling because of the
cold, I simply HAVE to wear boots :-(

But, I quite agree with the attention point - not just consciously,
but in terms of reflexes.

What a tricky condition to live with. Clearly, you've found a way, but
it must be hard in winter - now, in fact.

It's tedious, but I am lucky in that I developed it (and deafness)
very young, but in its severe form only after learning to walk and
talk. I cannot remember anything different, and I can (just) ride
a bicycle and ski. Ladders are a real pain, though, as I need one
hand to hold on the whole time, which makes doing anything very
tricky.

Thank goodness you got the walking and talking sorted out before it
became a problem. Presumably you've also learned to cope with the
deafness, but that doesn't mean you have to like it. Not easy for you.
In your position, I wouldn't even attempt ladders! Despite my
vertigo, I do use a ladder for tree truning but *very carefully*!

In spite of being generally sure-footed, I do suffer with a mild form of
'vertigo' and can suddenly become dizzy. Heights are tricky, too. I
can get dizzy just standing at the kerb waiting to cross a road.
I suppose we all have our little cross to bear.

A huge number of people have balance impairment, as vestibular
function is one of the first things to go as people get older,
and quite a few medical conditions can cause it to degrade
(often permanently).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I'm sure a lot of my balance problems stem from ear troubles. I had
surgery on my ears when I was little. Since then, I've been diagnosed
MAD - no, not mad (!), but Mild Auditory Dysfunction. I also have neck
pain probs and often feel dizzy when I move my head suddenly or just too
far.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 11-02-2014, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-02-10 22:31:30 +0000, Spider said:

On 10/02/2014 17:10, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Spider wrote:
On 10/02/2014 12:20, kay wrote:
'Pete C[_2_ Wrote:
;998437']
[...]

Spider, I too suffer from the sort of vertigo you describe and it's all
down to my neck vertebrae. If you haven't seen a good osteopath, may I
suggest you do. With regular treatment, my vertigo is mostly kept at
bay. Do email me if you'd like to know more.

Thank you, Sacha. As you'll see from my further response to Nick, I
recognise problems with both my neck and my ears. I do know a very good
sports physio chap who usually works on my back, so I could ask him
about it. He is very experienced and informed and I trust him (hugely
important). I've seen a couple of osteopaths who've worked on my neck,
but it seems to inflame my migraine so I have to be really careful. I
can't have Acupuncture either, unfortunately, which friends have
suggested. I had it once and it was so painful I went into shock!
Never, ever again :~((.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 11-02-2014, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:

[...]

I have that too. You can get rid of one sort of vertigo problems that OAPs get
using simple exercises.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benign_...tional_Vertigo

Thanks, Martin. I had a quick scan of that (I'm meant to be doing my
accounts) and will read it more thoroughly later. There's a lot to take
in. Some of that certainly 'clicked' with me.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 11-02-2014, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/02/2014 08:25, gardenmaturin wrote:

'Spider[_3_ Wrote:
;998460']On 10/02/2014 12:20, kay wrote:-

'Pete C[_2_ Wrote:-
;998437']
You garden bare foot??
-

If you go around barefoot (which I used to do as a child, gravel and
holly leaves notwithstanding), you pay a lot more attention to what
your
feet are telling you. Even though I normally wear shoes now, I'm more
sure-footed than the rest of m family, much less likely to trip over
things or step on breakable or obnoxious stuff.

-
I agree. I used to go barefoot a lot in my youth and still am fairly
sure-footed. It helps having 8 of course ;~).

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London
gardening on heavy clay

8 FEET.....or toes?

well, either way I suppose!

Quite so. Spiders can also have two or three tarsal claws to each
tarsal tip, so up to 24 'anchors'.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 11-02-2014, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/02/2014 09:19, kay wrote:
gardenmaturin;998494 Wrote:
8 FEET.....or toes?

well, either way I suppose!

You have to remember that Spider is one of those posters who does not
use a pseudonym ;-)

Love that!! :~))

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 11-02-2014, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:
On 10/02/2014 12:20, kay wrote:
'Pete C[_2_ Wrote:
[...]

It's possible the neck/ear thing is connected. I'm trying to remember
the name of the cure for the ear problem but very basically (and I
haven't had this treatment) an expert in the subject moves you from one
position to another very quickly. From what I remember being told, it's
something to do with dislodging crystals inside the ear that cause the
giddiness. I used to get my neck 'clicked' regularly but stopped that
when I felt that the positioning of my neck before the click was making
me giddy in itself. That was quite alarming! The person I go to once a
month now is a combination of osteopath, deep tissue massage and
Swedish massage. I feel as if I've been run over by a truck afterwards
- but in a good way!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 11-02-2014, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:
On 10/02/2014 12:20, kay wrote:
'Pete C[_2_ Wrote:
[...]

Oooer! That sounds a bit aggressive. I suppose I shall have to talk to
my GP and cover all the details. I would prefer a once-only cure so I
never have to see a doctor again. Doctors and medics in general
increase my blood pressure, so I see mine no more often than I have to,
but needs must.
Thanks anyway, Sacha. I shall if I can find out what that treatment is
called and do some research.
I'm pleased to hear your treatment is helping.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 11-02-2014, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:
On 10/02/2014 12:20, kay wrote:
'Pete C[_2_ Wrote:
[...]

I don't think it's aggressive because (aiui) no wrenching is involved.
It's a quick change of position. Having looked a bit further, I
*think* it's called the Hackville manoeuvre. I see my osteo once a
month and the treatment she gives is so 'deep' that this seems to be
enough.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 12-02-2014, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:
On 10/02/2014 12:20, kay wrote:
'Pete C[_2_ Wrote:
[...]

Having done some research, you're clearly referring to the Hallpike Test
and Epley Manoeuvre. It doesn't look too horrendous. It's certainly
something to think about. I will mention it to my physio next time I see
him and see what he thinks. He also does deep massaging and
manipulation, so he may well be able to do something. Thanks for
mentioning it.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 12-02-2014, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:

[...]

There's a demo on Youtube. It worked for me very quickly. My GP seemed to have
just discovered it and showed me the Youtube demo. There's an example here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTZfIv165sY and others on the same page.
There's a nearby space museum, which has equipment for tumbling astronaut
trainees in three dimensions. He was all for me giving it a try. My daughter had
tried it and had been very motion sick, so I turned down the offer. A very rough
North Sea crossing finished off the treatment.

I've just watched something very similar to that on an American site,
but it looks simpler (and has a different name) on YouTube. I think I
might try it. I may have similar problems to your daughter, though, or
start a migraine attack, since turning my head seems to have that
effect. Fingers crossed.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 12-02-2014, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:
On 10/02/2014 12:20, kay wrote:
'Pete C[_2_ Wrote:
[...]

I did the exercises around two years ago and there has been no re-occurence.

Very promising indeed!

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 12-02-2014, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
.. Heights are tricky, too. I
can get dizzy just standing at the kerb waiting to cross a road.
I suppose we all have our little cross to bear.

A huge number of people have balance impairment, as vestibular
function is one of the first things to go as people get older,
and quite a few medical conditions can cause it to degrade
(often permanently).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

How do you manage when hill walking, there must be times when exposure is a
problem?

I hope it is not then a problem.

Bill

Old 12-02-2014, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bill Grey wrote:

. Heights are tricky, too. I
can get dizzy just standing at the kerb waiting to cross a road.
I suppose we all have our little cross to bear.

A huge number of people have balance impairment, as vestibular
function is one of the first things to go as people get older,
and quite a few medical conditions can cause it to degrade
(often permanently).

How do you manage when hill walking, there must be times when exposure is a
problem?

I wear flexible boots and thick, woollen socks. The former (and my
use of my ankles and toes) keeps the blood flowing, and the latter
remain insulating even when fairly wet. And I don't walk in the
winter unless I can keep them dry! So I tend to start losing
balance only when I have incipient hypothermia, which is something
that needs urgent attention.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:
On 10/02/2014 12:20, kay wrote:
'Pete C[_2_ Wrote:
[...]

It can still leave you with other sorts of balance problems, but at least I
don't get the whirling pits sensation and total inability to stay upright
anymore.

Glad to hear it!
--
Spider.