Old 06-03-2014, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pneumatic wheelbarrow replacement with solid

I wish to get a solid wheel for my wheelbarrow. The problem is will it
fit? Mine is held in by 2 bolts threaded through a flange and bolted
into the wheel centre. There was a site recommended here, But I cannot
find it now, that gave full instructions for ordering. any ideas please?
The wheelbarrow is called a "Fort".
Old 06-03-2014, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
I wish to get a solid wheel for my wheelbarrow. The problem is will it fit?
Mine is held in by 2 bolts threaded through a flange and bolted into the
wheel centre. There was a site recommended here, But I cannot find it now,
that gave full instructions for ordering. any ideas please? The wheelbarrow
is called a "Fort".

This is to replace a pneumatic tyre to get rid of the puncture problem,
right? Just fill the tyre with builder's squirty foam. £3.00, 10 seconds,
job done.

Steve

Old 06-03-2014, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message ...

I wish to get a solid wheel for my wheelbarrow. The problem is will it
fit? Mine is held in by 2 bolts threaded through a flange and bolted
into the wheel centre. There was a site recommended here, But I cannot
find it now, that gave full instructions for ordering. any ideas please?
The wheelbarrow is called a "Fort".

I would think twice about replacing it with a solid wheel, especially if you
have steps. I can go up and down small steps with a barrow with spongy
tyres, but if they were solid I would have to turn and pull up a step or
arrange a ramp.

Mike

www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk
www.hmscollingwoodassociation.com
www.rneba.org.uk
www.nsrafa.org

Old 06-03-2014, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote in message ...

"Broadback" wrote in message
I wish to get a solid wheel for my wheelbarrow. The problem is will it fit?
Mine is held in by 2 bolts threaded through a flange and bolted into the
wheel centre. There was a site recommended here, But I cannot find it now,
that gave full instructions for ordering. any ideas please? The wheelbarrow
is called a "Fort".

This is to replace a pneumatic tyre to get rid of the puncture problem,
right? Just fill the tyre with builder's squirty foam. £3.00, 10 seconds,
job done.

Steve

Steve does that leave the tyre 'spongy' to enable the traverse of steps as I
mentioned in my posting?

Old 06-03-2014, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/03/2014 09:25, shazzbat wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message
I wish to get a solid wheel for my wheelbarrow. The problem is will it fit?
Mine is held in by 2 bolts threaded through a flange and bolted into the
wheel centre. There was a site recommended here, But I cannot find it now,
that gave full instructions for ordering. any ideas please? The wheelbarrow
is called a "Fort".

This is to replace a pneumatic tyre to get rid of the puncture problem,
right? Just fill the tyre with builder's squirty foam. £3.00, 10 seconds,
job done.

Steve

So what is the process for that. Do you just remove the inner tube valve
or the inner tube itself?

Old 06-03-2014, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/03/2014 09:28, 'Mike' wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message ...

I wish to get a solid wheel for my wheelbarrow. The problem is will it
fit? Mine is held in by 2 bolts threaded through a flange and bolted
into the wheel centre. There was a site recommended here, But I cannot
find it now, that gave full instructions for ordering. any ideas please?
The wheelbarrow is called a "Fort".

I would think twice about replacing it with a solid wheel, especially if
you have steps. I can go up and down small steps with a barrow with
spongy tyres, but if they were solid I would have to turn and pull up a
step or arrange a ramp.

I have a right size plank for taking my barrow up the garden steps.
It also is smoother coming down a ramp.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 06-03-2014, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 6 Mar 2014 09:25:35 -0000, shazzbat wrote:

I wish to get a solid wheel for my wheelbarrow.

This is to replace a pneumatic tyre to get rid of the puncture problem,
right? Just fill the tyre with builder's squirty foam. £3.00, 10
seconds, job done.

How long before the foam collapses and you have a, lumpy, flat tyre?

I'd go for the slime and retain the pneumatic tyre. Always assuming
that the tyre not too perished...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 14:20:01 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 09:19:42 +0000, Broadback
wrote:

I wish to get a solid wheel for my wheelbarrow. The problem is will it
fit? Mine is held in by 2 bolts threaded through a flange and bolted
into the wheel centre. There was a site recommended here, But I cannot
find it now, that gave full instructions for ordering. any ideas please?
The wheelbarrow is called a "Fort".

If you're replacing a pneumatic tyre that has been punctured, consider
slime. I used it on my barrow tyre a couple of years ago and it's been
good ever since. http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/slime-tyre-sealant

Great stuff - after years of patching the tyre on SWMBO's barrow (we
have a lot of berberis and pyracantha which always seem to need
pruning) I filled the tube with Slime about six years ago and it has
not needed any subsequent attention. Available via Amazon and at
Halfords.
--
rbel
Old 07-03-2014, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Thu, 6 Mar 2014 09:25:35 -0000, shazzbat wrote:

I wish to get a solid wheel for my wheelbarrow.

This is to replace a pneumatic tyre to get rid of the puncture problem,
right? Just fill the tyre with builder's squirty foam. £3.00, 10
seconds, job done.

How long before the foam collapses and you have a, lumpy, flat tyre?

Who cares? It's a wheelbarrow, you're not going to crash and die. Just put
more in.

Steve

Old 07-03-2014, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I wish to get a solid wheel for my wheelbarrow. The problem is will it
fit? Mine is held in by 2 bolts threaded through a flange and bolted
into the wheel centre. There was a site recommended here, But I cannot
find it now, that gave full instructions for ordering. any ideas please?
The wheelbarrow is called a "Fort".

If you're replacing a pneumatic tyre that has been punctured, consider
slime. I used it on my barrow tyre a couple of years ago and it's been
good ever since. http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/slime-tyre-sealant

Great stuff - after years of patching the tyre on SWMBO's barrow (we
have a lot of berberis and pyracantha which always seem to need
pruning) I filled the tube with Slime about six years ago and it has
not needed any subsequent attention. Available via Amazon and at
Halfords.

After procrastination I decided to get some slime, which I have now
used, we shall see. I was reluctant to go for a replacement solid tyred
wheel in case it did not fit. Of course, typically I have since found
the exact manufacturers replacement. Will keep that in hand in case the
slime fails! Thanks for all the tips.