Old 07-06-2014, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Trivia: Slug Pellets

I just wondered if anyone has managed to sprinkle slug pellets such that they
are "six to eight inches apart"?

There must be a hell of a lot of slug pellets "wasted" - given at least my
method of sprinkling them.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/06/2014 09:29, Judith in England wrote:

I just wondered if anyone has managed to sprinkle slug pellets such that they
are "six to eight inches apart"?

Yes. Don't open the packet quite so much or tape the gap more nearly
closed. Extra ones don't do any good and may be counter productive.

There must be a hell of a lot of slug pellets "wasted" - given at least my
method of sprinkling them.

How do you do it?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 07-06-2014, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin Brown wrote:

On 07/06/2014 09:29, Judith in England wrote:

I just wondered if anyone has managed to sprinkle slug pellets such that they
are "six to eight inches apart"?

Yes. Don't open the packet quite so much or tape the gap more nearly
closed. Extra ones don't do any good and may be counter productive.

To satisfy my curiosity, could you explain why this is so? Does
it apply to all types?

I thought one of the reasons for wide spacing was to avoid
accidental ingestion of significant quantities by animals.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 07 Jun 2014 09:49:46 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 07/06/2014 09:29, Judith in England wrote:

I just wondered if anyone has managed to sprinkle slug pellets such that they
are "six to eight inches apart"?

Yes. Don't open the packet quite so much or tape the gap more nearly
closed. Extra ones don't do any good and may be counter productive.

There must be a hell of a lot of slug pellets "wasted" - given at least my
method of sprinkling them.

How do you do it?

In to my hand - sprinkle - wash hands.

Perhaps I was just not making effort to make sure they were as sparse as "7
inches" apart ;-)

Old 07-06-2014, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On 07/06/2014 09:29, Judith in England wrote:

I just wondered if anyone has managed to sprinkle slug pellets such that they
are "six to eight inches apart"?

Yes. Don't open the packet quite so much or tape the gap more nearly
closed. Extra ones don't do any good and may be counter productive.

There must be a hell of a lot of slug pellets "wasted" - given at least my
method of sprinkling them.

How do you do it?

In to my hand - sprinkle - wash hands.

Perhaps I was just not making effort to make sure they were as sparse as "7
inches" apart ;-)

I always broadcast the pellets and aim for about 9 or 10 ft ahead, that
way they spread out well.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/06/2014 10:04, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

On 07/06/2014 09:29, Judith in England wrote:

I just wondered if anyone has managed to sprinkle slug pellets such that they
are "six to eight inches apart"?

Yes. Don't open the packet quite so much or tape the gap more nearly
closed. Extra ones don't do any good and may be counter productive.

To satisfy my curiosity, could you explain why this is so? Does
it apply to all types?

I thought one of the reasons for wide spacing was to avoid
accidental ingestion of significant quantities by animals.

In part because you don't want the decayed remains of old slug pellets
lying around. Slugs will avoid places with too many dead slug remains.

Baiscally though the dose makes the poison and you should always aim to
use minimum inputs wherever possible to save money and the environment.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 16-06-2014, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote:

I always broadcast the pellets and aim for about 9 or 10 ft ahead, that
way they spread out well.

There does seem to be a really heavy infestation this year. I use
organic pellets, but there are still plenty of survivors.

Copper rings seem to have some effect, but the copper tape on
pots only partially.

Yesterday I was watching some slugs climbing a terracotta pot
veer away from the tape, but my glee was short-lived when another
went steaming straight across it.

I tried the wool pellets in a few places (not cheap is it?) but I
can now see slug trails over them, so looks like that is not the
answer.

I tried nematodes last year, but I was not convinced. Having most
of the garden mulched makes that a bad idea, and renewing the
treatment all season would have been quite costly.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 16-06-2014, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Good evening

On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 14:36:15 +0100,
Roger Tonkin wrote:

Bought some "Slug Rod" pellets, they claimed the sligs would
eat them and crawl away to die!

If it is Feramol == Iron III Phosphate, it is exactly that. The stuff
swells in the slugs' stomachs and stops their appetite.

Well they (or something else) certainly eat them (daily), but I've not
seen any slimy trails/bodies!

You cannot see them, as they do not leave behind more trails than
usually. These slugs “return home” and stay home, as they will not feel
hunger any more.

I've still some old blue pellets around that I'll try again.

This will kill the slugs as does Feramol (or the newer product of
similar composition), but also other animals. Feramol is not really
“poison” and cannot affect in the same way cats, dogs, birds, hedgehogs
or toads in the same way as do older products.

Toads, by the way, do a great job in my garden. We try to keep them
happy and provide shelter for them, or keep intact anything that appears
to attract them, heaps of cobblestone, the root ball of a fallen tree
and the like. We observe less slugs, this year, even without Feramol and
credit the toads as we here lots of complaints from neighbours and
friends.., about slugs, not toads.

Michael

--
GnuPG/OpenPGP 4096R/3216CF02 2013-11-15 [expires: 2015-11-15]
sub 4096R/2751C550 2013-11-15 [expires: 2015-11-15]
Old 16-06-2014, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Supersede corrects garbled sentence.

Roger Tonkin wrote:

Bought some "Slug Rod" pellets, they claimed the sligs would
eat them and crawl away to die!

If it is Feramol == Iron III Phosphate, it is exactly that. The stuff
swells in the slugs' stomachs and stops their appetite.

Well they (or something else) certainly eat them (daily), but I've not
seen any slimy trails/bodies!

You cannot see them, as they do not leave behind more trails than
usually. These slugs “return home” and stay home, as they will not feel
hunger any more.

I've still some old blue pellets around that I'll try again.

This will kill the slugs as does Feramol (or the newer product of
similar composition), but also other animals. Feramol is not really
“poison” and cannot affect in the same way cats, dogs, birds, hedgehogs
or toads *) as it does slugs.

Toads, by the way, do a great job in my garden. We try to keep them
happy and provide shelter for them, or keep intact anything that appears
to attract them, heaps of cobblestone, the root ball of a fallen tree
and the like. We observe less slugs, this year, even without Feramol and
credit the toads as we here lots of complaints from neighbours and
friends.., about slugs, not toads.

Michael

*) correction in supersede

Old 17-06-2014, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Saturday, June 7, 2014 9:29:36 AM UTC+1, Judith in England wrote:
I just wondered if anyone has managed to sprinkle slug pellets such that they

are "six to eight inches apart"?

There must be a hell of a lot of slug pellets "wasted" - given at least my

I wish some of my neighbours would read those instructions.
There's one guy who practically mulches his borders with them and to make matters worse his wife spreads ant powder millimetres thick along the bottom of their house wall.

Rod
Old 18-06-2014, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/18/2014 3:33 AM, Martin wrote:

If you put saucers of beer out for the slugs, the slugs die in the beer.

Years ago, we had a major slug problem - I bought cheap disposable pie
tins and the cheapest beer I could find. It worked amazingly well.
And the local birds seemed to appreciate the marinated slugs.

Organic slug pellets 'Mike' Gardening 11 14-05-2008 05:35 AM
Organic slug pellets Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 19 14-05-2008 05:35 AM
using slug pellets on veg patch? Paul United Kingdom 9 04-05-2006 10:29 PM
Slug pellets and chickens??? shannie United Kingdom 12 25-04-2003 08:10 PM
slug pellets? Nicholas United Kingdom 14 27-03-2003 11:56 PM