Old 13-08-2014, 07:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Back to summer?

Today has started with a bright blue, cloudless sky and barely a
whisper of wind in the trees. But the temperature's a bit sharp! The
Aga was re-lit yesterday!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 13-08-2014, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

That's what we have got here on the South East Coast of the Isle of Wight.
Bit chilly with a slight 'leaf rustling' breeze. Seems we may have had a
drop of rain overnight, but not a lot.

What have others got and where are you?

Mike

For those ex Royal Navy.
http://angelradioisleofwight.moonfru...ive/4574468641
7.30 – 8.00 pm Wednesday 13th August 2014
‘From the Crowe’s Nest’

Old 13-08-2014, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Traditionally' I don't expect to feel a nip in the air until the Michaelmas
Daisies are out and I relate that to going back to school after the Summer
holidays, so that would be the first week in September

Mike

For those ex Royal Navy.
http://angelradioisleofwight.moonfru...ive/4574468641
7.30 – 8.00 pm Wednesday 13th August 2014
‘From the Crowe’s Nest’

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message

On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 07:54:23 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

Today has started with a bright blue, cloudless sky and barely a
whisper of wind in the trees. But the temperature's a bit sharp! The
Aga was re-lit yesterday!

For a week or so now, my wife and I have both been saying that it's
beginning to feel like Autumn, when normally we wouldn't expect to
feel like that until September. The result of a very hot and dry July,
perhaps.

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

Old 13-08-2014, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Today has started with a bright blue, cloudless sky and barely a
whisper of wind in the trees. But the temperature's a bit sharp! The
Aga was re-lit yesterday!

For a week or so now, my wife and I have both been saying that it's
beginning to feel like Autumn, when normally we wouldn't expect to
feel like that until September. The result of a very hot and dry July,
perhaps.

Things are certainly going over quickly and I'd just put it down to a
mild winter and spring and temperatures and seasons balancing
themselves out. But the dryness of July could well be a strong
contributor, even with copious amounts of watering!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 13-08-2014, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/08/2014 07:54, Sacha wrote:
Today has started with a bright blue, cloudless sky and barely a
whisper of wind in the trees. But the temperature's a bit sharp! The
Aga was re-lit yesterday!

I think I saw on the 3-day weather forecast that temperatures this
coming Friday night will drop to single figures. That must be pretty
unusual for August.

--

Jeff

Old 13-08-2014, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I am not far away.

On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 09:17:45 +0100, 'Mike' wrote:
What have others got and where are you?

We have too much rain, but “too much rain” appears to be the most
ordinary weather, here in Normandy. My garden succeeded better than in
2013, because there *was* a summer, this year. Nowadays we enjoy 10 to
20 minutes of warm sun between the next 10 to 20 minutes of rain
(drizzle or thunderstorm). This morning it was not chilly but downright
cold ! The wind, too, has become completely unpredictable. While other
french regions are more continuously blessed or doomed, we have all of
it, and all at the same time.

Four seasons of Normandie: http://www.heula.net/imageP1/279P1.jpg

"Sacha" wrote in message ...

Today has started with a bright blue, cloudless sky and barely a
whisper of wind in the trees. But the temperature's a bit sharp! The
Aga was re-lit yesterday!

--
Location: Lower Normandy (Orne), France
GnuPG/OpenPGP 4096R/3216CF02 2013-11-15 [expires: 2015-11-15]
Old 13-08-2014, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 14:35:53 +0200, Michael Uplawski wrote:

Four seasons of Normandie: http://www.heula.net/imageP1/279P1.jpg

Heh, I love that one. We've got it on a plastic placemat. Heula --
which is a local coop -- has been very successful and now has products
all over the place.

Here the earliest of the maples are starting to show colour, while many
of them are still in full summer growth spurt. Very odd. There is a
whole other bunch that haven't really grown at all this year, the spring
and early summer was just too cold.

-E

P.S. So Michael, did you make it to Fete de la Chasse? We stayed away
this year, but I did miss the horn blowing competitions.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 13-08-2014, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Good evening.

On 13 Aug 2014 13:10:09 GMT, Emery Davis wrote:

P.S. So Michael, did you make it to Fete de la Chasse? We stayed away
this year, but I did miss the horn blowing competitions.

My response will either serve to inform you or convey my honest resume.
My computer-screen is mostly black and does not give me indications on
how I should handle the question.

I just list some facts and leave out others. So you can guess.
1) 9€ entry-fee
2) Meals are at about 21€.
3) We wanted to go there to meet *people* in the most general sense, but
points 1) and 2) made us reconsider. There would not be people in the
most general sense...

Not hoping to make myself obscure, but neither French nor English are my
mother-languages. Have mercy.

Michael
Old 13-08-2014, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 20:24:31 +0200, Michael Uplawski wrote:

Good evening.

On 13 Aug 2014 13:10:09 GMT, Emery Davis wrote:

P.S. So Michael, did you make it to Fete de la Chasse? We stayed away
this year, but I did miss the horn blowing competitions.

My response will either serve to inform you or convey my honest resume.
My computer-screen is mostly black and does not give me indications on
how I should handle the question.

I just list some facts and leave out others. So you can guess.
1) 9€ entry-fee 2) Meals are at about 21€.
3) We wanted to go there to meet *people* in the most general sense, but
points 1) and 2) made us reconsider. There would not be people in the
most general sense...

Not hoping to make myself obscure, but neither French nor English are my
mother-languages. Have mercy.

Actually you've acquitted yourself extremely well. "Convey my honest
resume" is pretty good even for an confirmed language potentate...
(Not myself, certainly.)

There are a lot of tickets floating around, we haven't paid for years and
I suspect this is true for much of the local population. Interested to
know the price as we wondered about it this year. As for eating there,
not recommended at any price. Still there are some good deals to be done
on hats, boots, weatherproof clothing in general etc.

So there will be many "people" there, but as in any very large festival
(I think there were 100,000 last year) whether you'll have much chance
for meeting anyone is an open question!

Since you're local, if you'd like to have various maples, let me know.
I've lots of Japanese (Acer palmatum), Amur (Acer ginalla) or Snakebark
(Father David's maple, Acer davidii) which I could send your way...

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 13-08-2014, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mapel trees [Was: Back to summer?]

On 13 Aug 2014 19:15:20 GMT, Emery Davis wrote:
Since you're local, if you'd like to have various maples, let me know.
I've lots of Japanese (Acer palmatum), Amur (Acer ginalla) or Snakebark
(Father David's maple, Acer davidii) which I could send your way...

Thank You.
As our hedges are lacking some high trees (« haute tiges ») I am
considering your proposal. Maples are rather medium-sized but that is
okay, too.

However for the time, negociations between my wife and me about the
placement of new trees have come to a halt. I think that our northern
neighbour uses big quantities of chemicals on his field and regularly
“cleans” the « Talus » of all young sprout; his side and our side. As
this is the spot, where I want more trees and shrubs, we try with lots
of young oaks and hope that some will survive.

On the other hand, my girl tries to convince me, that in the middle of
our terrain, some maple-, ash- and beech-trees would help to devide it
into easier maintainable sections...

I haven't talked to the farmer who *does* that kind of maintenance for
us, but believe that he would not enjoy a tractor-slalom.

So, I may get back to your offer at a later time.

Michael

Old 13-08-2014, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-08-13 10:39:39 +0000, Jeff Layman said:

On 13/08/2014 07:54, Sacha wrote:
Today has started with a bright blue, cloudless sky and barely a
whisper of wind in the trees. But the temperature's a bit sharp! The
Aga was re-lit yesterday!

I think I saw on the 3-day weather forecast that temperatures this
coming Friday night will drop to single figures. That must be pretty
unusual for August.

Yikes! I'd have thought so.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 13-08-2014, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Emery Davis wrote:
On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 20:24:31 +0200, Michael Uplawski wrote:

Not hoping to make myself obscure, but neither French nor English are my
mother-languages. Have mercy.

Actually you've acquitted yourself extremely well. "Convey my honest
resume" is pretty good even for an confirmed language potentate...
(Not myself, certainly.)

I found it totally baffling, but it wasn't the English that was the
problem - that was fine. I just lacked the context, but now I
understand what was meant.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-08-2014, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 21:48:57 +0200, Michael Uplawski wrote:

So, I may get back to your offer at a later time.

If ever you're interested, you can get me at emeryATadelkabidon.com by
removing the bidon and making the obvious transformation.

For maples, same goes for any other urglers who are passing through.

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 13-08-2014, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Today has started with a bright blue, cloudless sky and barely a
whisper of wind in the trees. But the temperature's a bit sharp! The
Aga was re-lit yesterday!

For a week or so now, my wife and I have both been saying that it's
beginning to feel like Autumn, when normally we wouldn't expect to
feel like that until September. The result of a very hot and dry July,
perhaps.

We've been saying exactly the same. It's been warm and sunny (when the
remnant of Bertha wasn't throwing it down in stair-rods) but there's a
definite nip in the breeze as soon as the sun's not out. The berries are
suddenly red on many Rowan trees, we've got sweet-briar rose hips
ripening in the wild-garden hedge, and the latest resident Robin is
loudly making that chip-chip-chip-chipping call that they do much more
at the end of Summer. Is it just me, or has it seemed as if everything
has been happening earlier than usual in the garden this year?

--
Sue
Old 14-08-2014, 12:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

For a week or so now, my wife and I have both been saying that it's
beginning to feel like Autumn, when normally we wouldn't expect to
feel like that until September. The result of a very hot and dry July,
perhaps.

Things are certainly going over quickly and I'd just put it down to a
mild winter and spring and temperatures and seasons balancing
themselves out. But the dryness of July could well be a strong
contributor, even with copious amounts of watering!

T've found roses going over quickly, maybe a day or 2 for the blooms to last
which I put down to hot weather and generally dry conditions. I usually
expect a bloom to last 3 - 4 days on average. I'll be interested to see if
this autumnal spell will make a difference.