Old 27-12-2014, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default NIN

In article ,
Martin wrote:
On Fri, 26 Dec 2014 08:25:05 -0000, "Bob Hobden" wrote:

This seems to be the problem.........

http://www.foreigninvestments.eu/en/...ronic-services

So if they continue to take money from outside Germany, where they are
based, they would need to pay VAT in the countries where their customers are
based. An accountants nightmare and very costly to administer.

Will VAT paid on Amazon sales in UK go to UK in future go to UK and not
Luxembourg in future?

That is the intent. Whether or not it occurs is another matter.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-12-2014, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/12/14 10:43, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Bernard Peek wrote:

But what the euroseptics won't tell you is that the change was
pushed through by - wait for it - our very own UK, certainly as
a principal and possibly as the prime mover.

Apparently the UK argued for a minimum threshold below which businesses
did not need to register. The argument was not accepted.

The conspiracy theory is that the UK wanted their argument to fail so
that they would have another stick to beat the EU with.

You shouldn't trust Whitehall/Murdoch/Wail/Torygraph propaganda.

I was referring to the original proposal, which I knew of a long
time back, because Whitehall and Westminster were not happy that
UK residents were paying VAT to other countries for such things,
because the UK-favoured multinationals - surprise, surprise - use
the countries with the lowest VAT rate. And, yes, it was WE are
going to push for this - and WE did.

Also, I believe that there IS a minimum threshold.

No. HMRC said they argued for one but lost the argument. Apparently the
different thresholds in different EU countries made it too complex. So
even if your annual turnover is ninepence three-farthings you still have
to register.

--
Bernard Peek

In search of cognoscenti (again)

Old 27-12-2014, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bernard Peek wrote:

[...]

A pity that my daughter has just left - she might well know the
inside story. Do you know if the UK actually pushed for that,
or whether HMRC's request got downplayed by the UK? While HMRC
are involved in such negotiations, they aren't the political
principals.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-12-2014, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 26 Dec 2014 22:59:25 +0000, Sacha wrote:

[]
I emailed them today asking about this situation and got this reply:

"at news.individual.net, we don't collect information on a user's
residential address, tax domicile, social security number and so on. We
need an email address to get in touch and e.g. send a password to, and
we like to have a name so we know how to address or refer to people. And
we'd like to keep it that way.

The new European VAT regulations mean a lot more bureaucracy for
providers of digital services. We hope for a workable solution in the
medium term, and until then, try to keep providing our service as it
stands, as far as possible. If we should be forced to make more tangible
changes in the future, we would notify all affected users individually
via email."

Thanks Sacha. It sounds from that as though we will not have a problem
renewing. So I for one am not going to worry about it.

If I'm wrong, it won't be the first time!

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 27-12-2014, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/12/2014 18:34, Christina Websell wrote:

so why haven't NIN told me about it?

I suspect NIN will inform you just before your yearly contract runs out.
Until then they will continue to provide you with the service.

Old 27-12-2014, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 26/12/2014 23:01, Sacha wrote:

Their reply to my email to them states that they hope to contact all
those affected.

As it will be law on 1st Jan 2015 the email they send may just say 'sorry,
but due to EU legislation and the prohibitive costs of administration we
can now only accept future payment for services from those residing in
Germany.'

Some other Usenet suppliers operating within the EU may also restrict
usage in the same way.

? I hope they don't.

Old 28-12-2014, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-12-27 07:49:30 +0000, Dave Liquorice said:

On Sat, 27 Dec 2014 00:19:00 -0000, Ophelia wrote:

Did you read the response Sacha received? I think they may not be
booting anyone off!!!

Everyone has access until their current subscription expires, that is
what they have paid for and will get. But come your renewal they
won't take your money if you are a non-German EU customer.

That is not what they said in their email to me. Not at all. And they
said, also, that they would hope to contact all affected customers, if
necessary.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 29-12-2014, 02:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-12-27 07:49:30 +0000, Dave Liquorice said:

On Sat, 27 Dec 2014 00:19:00 -0000, Ophelia wrote:

Did you read the response Sacha received? I think they may not be
booting anyone off!!!

Everyone has access until their current subscription expires, that is
what they have paid for and will get. But come your renewal they
won't take your money if you are a non-German EU customer.

That is not what they said in their email to me. Not at all. And they
said, also, that they would hope to contact all affected customers, if
necessary.
--

Sacha

Have emailed them, no word back utn. I'm paid up until april

www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Old 29-12-2014, 03:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 27/12/2014 18:34, Christina Websell wrote:

so why haven't NIN told me about it?

I suspect NIN will inform you just before your yearly contract runs out.
Until then they will continue to provide you with the service.

I could, if necessary, arrange for it to be paid for from a German bank
account.
whether this will get around it, I don't know.

Old 29-12-2014, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-12-27 07:49:30 +0000, Dave Liquorice said:

On Sat, 27 Dec 2014 00:19:00 -0000, Ophelia wrote:

Did you read the response Sacha received? I think they may not be
booting anyone off!!!

Everyone has access until their current subscription expires, that is
what they have paid for and will get. But come your renewal they
won't take your money if you are a non-German EU customer.

That is not what they said in their email to me. Not at all. And they
said, also, that they would hope to contact all affected customers, if
necessary.
--

Sacha

Have emailed them, no word back utn. I'm paid up until april

I doubt you will get any other information than Sacha received. They are
accepting renewals and I am now paid up to 2017! If you read her post you
will see they are hoping to sort out the problem.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 29-12-2014, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 29 Dec 2014 03:04:49 +0000, Christina Websell wrote:

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 27/12/2014 18:34, Christina Websell wrote:

so why haven't NIN told me about it?

I suspect NIN will inform you just before your yearly contract runs
out.
Until then they will continue to provide you with the service.

I could, if necessary, arrange for it to be paid for from a German bank
account.
whether this will get around it, I don't know.

I actually pay for my sub through a german organization, clickandbuy. I
wonder if that will get me through any potential difficulties.

In any case as I said, I will wait and see what happens.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 29-12-2014, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-12-27 07:49:30 +0000, Dave Liquorice said:

On Sat, 27 Dec 2014 00:19:00 -0000, Ophelia wrote:

Did you read the response Sacha received? I think they may not be
booting anyone off!!!

Everyone has access until their current subscription expires, that is
what they have paid for and will get. But come your renewal they
won't take your money if you are a non-German EU customer.

That is not what they said in their email to me. Not at all. And they
said, also, that they would hope to contact all affected customers, if
necessary.
--

Sacha

Have emailed them, no word back utn. I'm paid up until april

www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
www.helpforheroes.org.uk

I hope their service continues but to be honest, I'm not worrying too
much yet. Newsgroups are attracting fewer and fewer people and many of
us now 'talk' on Facebook in gardening groups there, of which there are
several. Membership is moderated, up to a point, so trolls aren't
allowed in and nor are the terminally angry and rude! I have never
seen a genuine post deleted but politeness is expected and is the norm,
even where views conflict! Nuisances are easily expelled or blocked,
too, if necessary and that rarely happens. I regret to say that I think
newsgroups will soon become empty spaces and that few servers will
carry them.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 29-12-2014, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/12/2014 18:06, sacha wrote:

I hope their service continues but to be honest, I'm not worrying too
much yet. Newsgroups are attracting fewer and fewer people and many of
us now 'talk' on Facebook in gardening groups there, of which there are
several. Membership is moderated, up to a point, so trolls aren't
allowed in and nor are the terminally angry and rude! I have never seen
a genuine post deleted but politeness is expected and is the norm, even
where views conflict! Nuisances are easily expelled or blocked, too, if
necessary and that rarely happens. I regret to say that I think
newsgroups will soon become empty spaces and that few servers will carry
them.

Yes. As we have discussed before, Usenet has been on a gradual decline
for years and that will continue. It predates the WWW as we now know it
and most new computer users are not even aware it exists. I do hope that
NIN can continue their external service because if they withdraw it will
certainly hasten that demise.

Facebook has its own problems of course, particularly if one is not a
stickler for security (and sometimes in spite of it).

We'll see what happens after the 1st Jan...

--
RG
Old 29-12-2014, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/12/2014 18:26, RG wrote:

Facebook has its own problems of course, particularly if one is not a
stickler for security (and sometimes in spite of it).

Facebook will have limited life in much the same way as the Usenet is
dying. The reason for facebook demise will be that it is no longer
fashionable with the younger generation and many commercial companies
now regard it as a medium for advertising.

Old 29-12-2014, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sacha" wrote
I hope their service continues but to be honest, I'm not worrying too much
yet. Newsgroups are attracting fewer and fewer people and many of us now
'talk' on Facebook in gardening groups there, of which there are several.
Membership is moderated, up to a point, so trolls aren't allowed in and nor
are the terminally angry and rude! I have never seen a genuine post
deleted but politeness is expected and is the norm, even where views
conflict! Nuisances are easily expelled or blocked, too, if necessary and
that rarely happens. I regret to say that I think newsgroups will soon
become empty spaces and that few servers will carry them.

But first you have to be on Facebook which I didn't like at all because of
their default security settings (far too open) and lack of proper security
advice.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.