Old 30-12-2014, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default NIN

On 29/12/14 15:05, Emery Davis wrote:

I actually pay for my sub through a german organization, clickandbuy. I
wonder if that will get me through any potential difficulties.

No, it won't unless you pay clickandbuy using a credit-card or bank
account registered in Germany.

--
Bernard Peek

In search of cognoscenti (again)

Old 30-12-2014, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message

On 2014-12-27 07:49:30 +0000, Dave Liquorice said:

On Sat, 27 Dec 2014 00:19:00 -0000, Ophelia wrote:

Did you read the response Sacha received? I think they may not be
booting anyone off!!!

Everyone has access until their current subscription expires, that is
what they have paid for and will get. But come your renewal they
won't take your money if you are a non-German EU customer.

That is not what they said in their email to me. Not at all. And they
said, also, that they would hope to contact all affected customers, if
necessary.
--

Sacha

Have emailed them, no word back utn. I'm paid up until april

I doubt you will get any other information than Sacha received. They are
accepting renewals and I am now paid up to 2017! If you read her post you
will see they are hoping to sort out the problem.

I got this reply to my e-mail
"Hello,

[...]
Is this true? If so why didnt you tell me before?

at news.individual.net, we don't collect information on a user's
residential address, tax domicile, social security number and so on. We
need an email address to get in touch and e.g. send a password to, and
we like to have a name so we know how to address or refer to people. And
we'd like to keep it that way.

The new European VAT regulations mean a lot more bureaucracy for
providers of digital services. We hope for a workable solution in the
medium term, and until then, try to keep providing our service as it
stands, as far as possible. If we should be forced to make more tangible
changes in the future, we would notify all affected users individually
via email.

Regards, Vera Heinau (News-Team Individual.NET)"
------
I'd hate to lose them. They provide a great service, remove all spam and if
you mail them, a real person replies. Let's hope it works out OK as I know
a lot of us rely on them to keep reading Usenet.

Old 30-12-2014, 08:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 30 Dec 2014 18:50:06 +0000, Christina Websell wrote:

The new European VAT regulations mean a lot more bureaucracy for
providers of digital services. We hope for a workable solution in the
medium term, and until then, try to keep providing our service as it
stands, as far as possible. If we should be forced to make more tangible
changes in the future, we would notify all affected users individually
via email.

Regards, Vera Heinau (News-Team Individual.NET)"
-

In other words, we can stop panicking.

Thanks Christina.

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 01-01-2015, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-12-29 22:53:18 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"sacha" wrote
I hope their service continues but to be honest, I'm not worrying too
much yet. Newsgroups are attracting fewer and fewer people and many of
us now 'talk' on Facebook in gardening groups there, of which there are
several. Membership is moderated, up to a point, so trolls aren't
allowed in and nor are the terminally angry and rude! I have never
seen a genuine post deleted but politeness is expected and is the norm,
even where views conflict! Nuisances are easily expelled or blocked,
too, if necessary and that rarely happens. I regret to say that I think
newsgroups will soon become empty spaces and that few servers will
carry them.

But first you have to be on Facebook which I didn't like at all because
of their default security settings (far too open) and lack of proper
security advice.

You can be very choosy about how much you reveal about yourself and of
course, it's up to the individual to be cautious about what you post.
Anyone who announces anywhere, including here, that they're away from
home and have left the house empty, or that they're giving a party,
with times and dates, is asking for trouble.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-01-2015, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sacha" wrote

, Bob Hobden said:

[...]

I was thinking more on the fact that when on Facebook I became the "friend"
of one of our friends children and his whole school opened up to me because
they had gone with standard security settings which let friends of friends
see everything. I knew who was doing what and when and where, dreadful for
the children's safety.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2015-01-01 16:41:41 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"sacha" wrote

, Bob Hobden said:

[...]

But that is up to the individual. As it is here. You can use a nom de
Facebook, if you wish and plenty give absolutely no detail, requiring
that you contact them to ask for further info or contact details.

--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 02-01-2015, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bernard Peek" wrote in message
On 29/12/14 15:05, Emery Davis wrote:

I actually pay for my sub through a german organization, clickandbuy. I
wonder if that will get me through any potential difficulties.

No, it won't unless you pay clickandbuy using a credit-card or bank
account registered in Germany.

I think NIN are working on this.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/01/15 18:08, Christina Websell wrote:

No, it won't unless you pay clickandbuy using a credit-card or bank
account registered in Germany.

I think NIN are working on this.

Lots of people are working on it, now including my MP.