Old 11-01-2015, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ping Spider (starlings)

30/40 starlings flying around in the garden and on the trees and about 16
managed to get onto the sooper dooper fancy feeder (tm) and they were
fighting each other for the fat balls!! Wow it was magical. I think hubby
is stuffed for his shed guttering for a while yet I tried to get a pic at
the window but they saw me and scarpered. Fingers crossed they try again.

heh and all because you told us to remove the netting from the fat balls)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 11-01-2015, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/01/2015 15:19, Ophelia wrote:
30/40 starlings flying around in the garden and on the trees and about
16 managed to get onto the sooper dooper fancy feeder (tm) and they were
fighting each other for the fat balls!! Wow it was magical. I think
hubby is stuffed for his shed guttering for a while yet I tried to
get a pic at the window but they saw me and scarpered. Fingers crossed
they try again.

heh and all because you told us to remove the netting from the fat balls)

Oh, that's lovely to hear, Ophelia! I can tell just how much you
enjoyed it:~)). Obviously, they're feeding themselves up so they're in
good breeding fettle, which may mean they nest in or near your garden:~).

Pity hubby has to wait for his guttering! Actually, I suspect it will
be free again fairly soon because Starlings (and especially their young)
prefer a carnivorous diet (caterpillars, worms, spiders(sob), etc.), so
as soon as their preferred diet is freely available, they will probably
change to that high protein meat diet.

In the meantime, I don't suppose hubby will mind too much if he has an
excuse to stay in the warm;~). So long as he gets his gutttering up in
time to catch the April showers:~).
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 11-01-2015, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
On 11/01/2015 15:19, Ophelia wrote:
30/40 starlings flying around in the garden and on the trees and about
16 managed to get onto the sooper dooper fancy feeder (tm) and they were
fighting each other for the fat balls!! Wow it was magical. I think
hubby is stuffed for his shed guttering for a while yet I tried to
get a pic at the window but they saw me and scarpered. Fingers crossed
they try again.

heh and all because you told us to remove the netting from the fat
balls)

Oh, that's lovely to hear, Ophelia! I can tell just how much you enjoyed
it:~)). Obviously, they're feeding themselves up so they're in good
breeding fettle, which may mean they nest in or near your garden:~).

That would be so lovely if they did) Do you think they will come back
again before then though? Soon after they left, the high winds and driving
rain came back, so I expect that kept them away

Pity hubby has to wait for his guttering! Actually, I suspect it will be
free again fairly soon because Starlings (and especially their young)
prefer a carnivorous diet (caterpillars, worms, spiders(sob), etc.), so as
soon as their preferred diet is freely available, they will probably
change to that high protein meat diet.

Ah! So there is nothing more we can offer them now?

In the meantime, I don't suppose hubby will mind too much if he has an
excuse to stay in the warm;~). So long as he gets his gutttering up in
time to catch the April showers:~).

Awwww he was enjoying them as much as I was so he is content to wait I
wouldn't count on that particular cafe being up and running next winter
though)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 11-01-2015, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/01/2015 17:37, Ophelia wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

Provided you leave food out, they will come back when they're hungry.
They were keen enough to fight over it, so they're definitely
interested! The parents may even be glad to top up their diet with your
suet balls for a while, even while they're feeding their young with
meaty, wriggly things. It's hard work finding enough food for a nest
full of screeching beaks, so a free snack of almost anything should be
appreciated.

Pity hubby has to wait for his guttering! Actually, I suspect it will
be free again fairly soon because Starlings (and especially their
young) prefer a carnivorous diet (caterpillars, worms, spiders(sob),
etc.), so as soon as their preferred diet is freely available, they
will probably change to that high protein meat diet.

Ah! So there is nothing more we can offer them now?

Apparently they will take dog food, but your dog may not appreciate
that! They're clearly happy with what you're offering them.
However, I found this website earlier, which you may find interesting:

http://www.starlingtalk.com/diet.htm

In the meantime, I don't suppose hubby will mind too much if he has an
excuse to stay in the warm;~). So long as he gets his gutttering up
in time to catch the April showers:~).

Awwww he was enjoying them as much as I was so he is content to wait

Yes, I can imagine you both glued to the window:~)

I wouldn't count on that particular cafe being up and running next
winter though)

Unless hubby pops out and buys some more guttering ... (scuttles back
under stone) :~))
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 11-01-2015, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

Righteo then the cafe shall remain for the moment Apart from a whole
chicken and Bonnie's dinner, what else would you put out?

Pity hubby has to wait for his guttering! Actually, I suspect it will
be free again fairly soon because Starlings (and especially their
young) prefer a carnivorous diet (caterpillars, worms, spiders(sob),
etc.), so as soon as their preferred diet is freely available, they
will probably change to that high protein meat diet.

Ah! So there is nothing more we can offer them now?

Apparently they will take dog food, but your dog may not appreciate that!
They're clearly happy with what you're offering them.
However, I found this website earlier, which you may find interesting:

http://www.starlingtalk.com/diet.htm

Plenty there to look at, thanks I am not sure I will be offering a whole
cooked chicken although I don't think Bonnie will mind too much if they have
some of her dog food. She won't go hungry

If I offer dog/people food, will it be ok to offer it in the sdff?

In the meantime, I don't suppose hubby will mind too much if he has an
excuse to stay in the warm;~). So long as he gets his gutttering up
in time to catch the April showers:~).

Awwww he was enjoying them as much as I was so he is content to wait

Yes, I can imagine you both glued to the window:~)

I wouldn't count on that particular cafe being up and running next
winter though)

Unless hubby pops out and buys some more guttering ... (scuttles back
under stone) :~))

lolol I wouldn't put it past him))) I just asked and he say he is sure he
will find something))

btw I've never had all these starlings in the garden until the sdff))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 11-01-2015, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry but I can well do without them.
For several years they prevented me feeding the birds here.
We had a large council tip around 3 miles or so in a straight flight
line away from us.
If you put any food out then a few starling scouts would see and come in
to investigate, that would trigger the swarm at the tip and in a very
few minutes there would be a couple of hundred of the things hoovering
up anything edible.
Where was the sparrow hawk when you needed him.
It was the closing of the tip and the resulting decline of the swarm
that enabled me to start feeding.
I didn't mind providing bed, breakfast and evening meal to a hundred or
so sparrows, as they left the feeders clear during the day for the other
birds.
David @ a now blustery side of Swansea bay after a day where I was able
to lift some of the tree dahlias
Old 11-01-2015, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

It's worth trying any scraps you would normally put out for the birds,
avoiding anything salty. It may be worth trying raw mince meat if you
can get it cheap (cheep?) enough, but that's a guess.

Pity hubby has to wait for his guttering! Actually, I suspect it will
be free again fairly soon because Starlings (and especially their
young) prefer a carnivorous diet (caterpillars, worms, spiders(sob),
etc.), so as soon as their preferred diet is freely available, they
will probably change to that high protein meat diet.

Ah! So there is nothing more we can offer them now?

You could try offering the dried mealworms often on sale for wild birds.
If they don't want them, you'll soon find that robins and tits do!
They won't be wasted. I know! ... try offering them those suet blocks
with peanut and insect. It's a sort of middle step between what you're
offering them now and their preferred insect diet. They ought to love
that. I buy them fairly cheaply (£1 a block) in Poundstretchers, but
Wilkinsons and the like should have good prices, too.

They'll always appreciate fresh water for drinking and batheing, but
you've already said that there are local ponds they could use.

Apparently they will take dog food, but your dog may not appreciate that!
They're clearly happy with what you're offering them.
However, I found this website earlier, which you may find interesting:

http://www.starlingtalk.com/diet.htm

Plenty there to look at, thanks I am not sure I will be offering a whole
cooked chicken although I don't think Bonnie will mind too much if they
have
some of her dog food. She won't go hungry

If I offer dog/people food, will it be ok to offer it in the sdff?

Only if you keep it thoroughly clean, otherwise it will rapidly become
unhealthy. A shallow tray with some drainage holes (in case of rain)
would fit the bill (no pun intended), or even two, so you can wash one
while using one.

In the meantime, I don't suppose hubby will mind too much if he has an
excuse to stay in the warm;~). So long as he gets his gutttering up
in time to catch the April showers:~).

Awwww he was enjoying them as much as I was so he is content to wait

Yes, I can imagine you both glued to the window:~)

I wouldn't count on that particular cafe being up and running next
winter though)

Unless hubby pops out and buys some more guttering ... (scuttles back
under stone) :~))

lolol I wouldn't put it past him))) I just asked and he say he is
sure he will find something))

I bet he will! Once you start this bird feeding obsession, you'll both
be only too pleased to forfeit some artefact or project to keep the
birds happy. Sounds good to me:~).
btw I've never had all these starlings in the garden until the sdff))

The sdff(tm), if you don't mind!;~)).
It's amazing how many birds (and other critters) you can attract into
your garden once you start feeding them and giving thought to their
environment.

I was frozen when I finally dragged myself in from the garden this
afternoon and beginning to droop a bit, but your post really cheered me
up. Lovely to hear tales from your garden again, and learn that the
starlings were doing well:~). Thanks for that. Night, Sweetie.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 12-01-2015, 12:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

Righteo then the cafe shall remain for the moment Apart from a whole
chicken and Bonnie's dinner, what else would you put out?

It's worth trying any scraps you would normally put out for the birds,
avoiding anything salty. It may be worth trying raw mince meat if you can
get it cheap (cheep?) enough, but that's a guess.

g Actually I always mince all my own meats so no problems there. You
say to put it out raw? Just beef?

Ah! So there is nothing more we can offer them now?

You could try offering the dried mealworms often on sale for wild birds.

Heck, from where would I obtain the aforementioned err mealworms???

If they don't want them, you'll soon find that robins and tits do! They
won't be wasted. I know! ... try offering them those suet blocks with
peanut and insect.

Insects? where do I find insects?

It's a sort of middle step between what you're
offering them now and their preferred insect diet. They ought to love
that. I buy them fairly cheaply (£1 a block) in Poundstretchers, but
Wilkinsons and the like should have good prices, too.

I have a Poundshop nearby. Not the others, but I will look.

They'll always appreciate fresh water for drinking and batheing, but
you've already said that there are local ponds they could use.

Oh yes, very large and deep ponds too!

Apparently they will take dog food, but your dog may not appreciate
that!
They're clearly happy with what you're offering them.
However, I found this website earlier, which you may find interesting:

http://www.starlingtalk.com/diet.htm

Plenty there to look at, thanks I am not sure I will be offering a
whole
cooked chicken although I don't think Bonnie will mind too much if they
have
some of her dog food. She won't go hungry

If I offer dog/people food, will it be ok to offer it in the sdff?

Only if you keep it thoroughly clean, otherwise it will rapidly become
unhealthy. A shallow tray with some drainage holes (in case of rain)
would fit the bill (no pun intended), or even two, so you can wash one
while using one.

I hadn't thought of washing the sdff (tm) ! Does it need to use some bleach
type cleaner? The guttering is sloped so it does drain naturally and the
quantity of rain we have at the moment does wash it out.

In the meantime, I don't suppose hubby will mind too much if he has an
excuse to stay in the warm;~). So long as he gets his gutttering up
in time to catch the April showers:~).

Awwww he was enjoying them as much as I was so he is content to wait

Yes, I can imagine you both glued to the window:~)

We were)

I wouldn't count on that particular cafe being up and running next
winter though)

Unless hubby pops out and buys some more guttering ... (scuttles back
under stone) :~))

lolol I wouldn't put it past him))) I just asked and he say he is
sure he will find something))

I bet he will! Once you start this bird feeding obsession, you'll both be
only too pleased to forfeit some artefact or project to keep the birds
happy. Sounds good to me:~).

lol With your encouragement how else could it be????

btw I've never had all these starlings in the garden until the sdff))

The sdff(tm), if you don't mind!;~)).

Nodnodnod quite so. How could I forget g

It's amazing how many birds (and other critters) you can attract into your
garden once you start feeding them and giving thought to their
environment.

Well I am learning from you as I go, so thank you

I was frozen when I finally dragged myself in from the garden this
afternoon and beginning to droop a bit, but your post really cheered me
up.

Thank you) You always cheer me up too and I look forward to your posts)

Lovely to hear tales from your garden again, and learn that the
starlings were doing well:~). Thanks for that. Night, Sweetie.

Aww night night to you too Sweetie and big hugs too!!!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 12-01-2015, 12:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David" wrote in message

Starlings:

Sorry but I can well do without them.
For several years they prevented me feeding the birds here.
We had a large council tip around 3 miles or so in a straight flight line
away from us.
If you put any food out then a few starling scouts would see and come in
to investigate, that would trigger the swarm at the tip and in a very few
minutes there would be a couple of hundred of the things hoovering up
anything edible.
Where was the sparrow hawk when you needed him.

OH! This is the first time we have had starlings and I have been so
thrilled

It was the closing of the tip and the resulting decline of the swarm that
enabled me to start feeding.
I didn't mind providing bed, breakfast and evening meal to a hundred or so
sparrows, as they left the feeders clear during the day for the other
birds.

We have feeding tube thingies with seeds from which the wee birds are
feeding. and other birds are eating the fat blocks in various trees and
bushes. I haven't noticed the starlings bothering them. Ought I to be on
the look out??

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 12-01-2015, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 15:19:28 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

30/40 starlings flying around in the garden and on the trees and about 16
managed to get onto the sooper dooper fancy feeder (tm) and they were
fighting each other for the fat balls!! Wow it was magical. I think hubby
is stuffed for his shed guttering for a while yet I tried to get a pic at
the window but they saw me and scarpered. Fingers crossed they try again.

heh and all because you told us to remove the netting from the fat balls)

We used to get starlings taking food every day. We thought they were a
bit of a greedy lot. A few years ago they stopped coming to the garden
and I haven't seen any since.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Old 12-01-2015, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/01/2015 00:34, Ophelia wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message

Righteo then the cafe shall remain for the moment Apart from a whole
chicken and Bonnie's dinner, what else would you put out?

It's worth trying any scraps you would normally put out for the birds,
avoiding anything salty. It may be worth trying raw mince meat if you
can get it cheap (cheep?) enough, but that's a guess.

g Actually I always mince all my own meats so no problems there.
You say to put it out raw? Just beef?

Beef is, perhaps, the most commonly available as mince, but try a few
scraps of anything you've got. Until you know what they'll take, don't
put heaps of anything down or you'll attract rats. Whatever you put
down during the day ought to have been eaten by birdy bedtime so it
doesn't go off.

Ah! So there is nothing more we can offer them now?

You could try offering the dried mealworms often on sale for wild birds.

Heck, from where would I obtain the aforementioned err mealworms???

They are sold in tubs or strong polythene packs specifically for bird
feeding. We buy ours from Poundstretcher or whichever gardencentre
we're visiting. If you can find them in pound shops, they will be
cheaper. They're widely available. I think I've even seen them in the
bigger supermarkets, too. Google 'dried mealworms' and you'll get an
impression of what you're looking for. You may even choose to buy them
on line.

If they don't want them, you'll soon find that robins and tits do!
They won't be wasted. I know! ... try offering them those suet blocks
with peanut and insect.

Insects? where do I find insects?

You don't need to. Somebody's already done all that for you:

http://www.birdsandbees.co.uk/bird-s...m-pid8304.html

The link actually shows a suet block with mealworms, but insect ones are
available, too. Once you start looking, you'll see all sorts of diets
and flavours.

It's a sort of middle step between what you're
offering them now and their preferred insect diet. They ought to love
that. I buy them fairly cheaply (£1 a block) in Poundstretchers, but
Wilkinsons and the like should have good prices, too.

I have a Poundshop nearby. Not the others, but I will look.

They'll always appreciate fresh water for drinking and batheing, but
you've already said that there are local ponds they could use.

Oh yes, very large and deep ponds too!

Mmm ... I hope there are some shallow ones or ones with a shallow
'beach'. Birds cannot cope with deep water. I once left an old cup
outside (used for a scooping job in the garden) which filled with water.
A few days later, I found a blue tit drowned in it:~((. I've never
done that since. The traditional birdbath is shallow because it works
and is safe for birds. I sometimes put out a large plantpot saucer
filled with water and a large stone in the middle for birds to perch on
while they drink or bathe. Much safer.

[...]

If you use a strong cleaner like bleach, you will have to scrupulous
about rinsing it well. I buy a cleaner made specially for pets called
'Keep it Clean':

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.a...uWtAo d_XcAUA

again, it is available in supermarkets, pet shops and many garden
centres. I use it around my cats and for cleaning birdy devices. I
even use it to clean the kitchen floor where the cats eat (yes, they
have bowls!:~)).

[...]

Nice of you to say so, but it's *your* encouragement the birds are
interested in. You've both made a great start and I get no sense that
you're about to stop:~).

btw I've never had all these starlings in the garden until the sdff))

Just goes to show how sooper dooper (tm) it is.

The sdff(tm), if you don't mind!;~)).

Nodnodnod quite so. How could I forget g

g also

It's amazing how many birds (and other critters) you can attract into
your garden once you start feeding them and giving thought to their
environment.

Well I am learning from you as I go, so thank you

I was frozen when I finally dragged myself in from the garden this
afternoon and beginning to droop a bit, but your post really cheered
me up.

Thank you) You always cheer me up too and I look forward to your posts)

That's a happy coincidence:~)). We'd better keep it up, then;~)

Lovely to hear tales from your garden again, and learn that the
starlings were doing well:~). Thanks for that. Night, Sweetie.

Aww night night to you too Sweetie and big hugs too!!!

Hug of the Day flying to you. It's alright, you don't have to feed it;~).
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 12-01-2015, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 15:29:46 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 14:19:57 +0000, Spider wrote:

They are sold in tubs or strong polythene packs specifically for bird
feeding. We buy ours from Poundstretcher or whichever gardencentre
we're visiting. If you can find them in pound shops, they will be
cheaper. They're widely available. I think I've even seen them in the
bigger supermarkets, too. Google 'dried mealworms' and you'll get an
impression of what you're looking for. You may even choose to buy them
on line.

Mealworms are about to be sold coated in chocolate for humans in one of the big
Dutch supermarket chains.

A "friend" bought me a tub of them for Christmas. I didn't try them.
Even the birds won't eat them. I'm not squeamish and I have tried
chocolate covered ants but I can't say I liked them.

Steve

Old 12-01-2015, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

Righteo then the cafe shall remain for the moment Apart from a whole
chicken and Bonnie's dinner, what else would you put out?

It's worth trying any scraps you would normally put out for the birds,
avoiding anything salty. It may be worth trying raw mince meat if you
can get it cheap (cheep?) enough, but that's a guess.

g Actually I always mince all my own meats so no problems there.
You say to put it out raw? Just beef?

Beef is, perhaps, the most commonly available as mince, but try a few
scraps of anything you've got. Until you know what they'll take, don't
put heaps of anything down or you'll attract rats. Whatever you put down
during the day ought to have been eaten by birdy bedtime so it doesn't go
off.

Ok I will watch out for that. Incidentally, is this just for starlings or
all the birds? I was just reading Stephen's post who no longer gets
them I suppose they may not come back

Ah! So there is nothing more we can offer them now?

You could try offering the dried mealworms often on sale for wild birds.

Heck, from where would I obtain the aforementioned err mealworms???

They are sold in tubs or strong polythene packs specifically for bird
feeding. We buy ours from Poundstretcher or whichever gardencentre we're
visiting. If you can find them in pound shops, they will be cheaper.
They're widely available. I think I've even seen them in the bigger
supermarkets, too. Google 'dried mealworms' and you'll get an impression
of what you're looking for. You may even choose to buy them on line.

Right, thanks, I will do that! I won't be able to get to the Pound shop
until next week but I will certainly have a look there too.

If they don't want them, you'll soon find that robins and tits do!
They won't be wasted. I know! ... try offering them those suet blocks
with peanut and insect.

Insects? where do I find insects?

You don't need to. Somebody's already done all that for you:

http://www.birdsandbees.co.uk/bird-s...m-pid8304.html

The link actually shows a suet block with mealworms, but insect ones are
available, too. Once you start looking, you'll see all sorts of diets and
flavours.

I am starting to feel slightly queasy ...

[...]

I see various birds around them all the time so I think they are safe. I am
not talking about garden ponds btw ...

I hadn't thought of washing the sdff (tm) ! Does it need to use some
bleach type cleaner? The guttering is sloped so it does drain naturally
and the quantity of rain we have at the moment does wash it out.

If you use a strong cleaner like bleach, you will have to scrupulous about
rinsing it well. I buy a cleaner made specially for pets called 'Keep it
Clean':

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.a...uWtAo d_XcAUA

Right! I have taken note!

again, it is available in supermarkets, pet shops and many garden centres.
I use it around my cats and for cleaning birdy devices. I even use it to
clean the kitchen floor where the cats eat (yes, they have bowls!:~)).

lol I know just what you mean ...

I bet he will! Once you start this bird feeding obsession, you'll
both be only too pleased to forfeit some artefact or project to keep
the birds happy. Sounds good to me:~).

lol With your encouragement how else could it be????

Nice of you to say so, but it's *your* encouragement the birds are
interested in. You've both made a great start and I get no sense that
you're about to stop:~).

Not a chance ... g Does the diet change throughout the year?

btw I've never had all these starlings in the garden until the sdff))

Just goes to show how sooper dooper (tm) it is.

True *wink*

Thank you) You always cheer me up too and I look forward to your
posts)

That's a happy coincidence:~)). We'd better keep it up, then;~)

That would be nice))

Lovely to hear tales from your garden again, and learn that the
starlings were doing well:~). Thanks for that. Night, Sweetie.

Aww night night to you too Sweetie and big hugs too!!!

Hug of the Day flying to you. It's alright, you don't have to feed it;~).

lol not even mealworms ...???

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 12-01-2015, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

30/40 starlings flying around in the garden and on the trees and about 16
managed to get onto the sooper dooper fancy feeder (tm) and they were
fighting each other for the fat balls!! Wow it was magical. I think
hubby
is stuffed for his shed guttering for a while yet I tried to get a pic
at
the window but they saw me and scarpered. Fingers crossed they try again.

heh and all because you told us to remove the netting from the fat
balls)

We used to get starlings taking food every day. We thought they were a
bit of a greedy lot. A few years ago they stopped coming to the garden
and I haven't seen any since.

Oh I have only seen them a very few times in our garden and
those only very recently. Who knows if they will return.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 12-01-2015, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

[...]

I should just put it where the starlings eat and see what happens. Lots
of birds need a meat diet and may be interested, but there's no
guarantee the starlings will take it yet. It was just my suggestion,
being a form of meat you could easily offer. You'll soon find out if
there are other interested parties. Continue to put out the fat balls
so the starlings have a choice; that way, you'll see which they prefer.

[...]

E, tha's a big girl's blouse, lass! Have a stiff cup of tea and remember
it's the birds who'll be eating the mealworms, not you!;~)).

[...]

Oh, right! Well, so long as the birds are safe.

[...]

The parent starlings offer only live insect food to start with. After
some weeks (mentioned in that starling link, I believe), the young can
take other foodstuffs as well. They have to really, because they have
to eat seeds/berries/nuts, as well as scavenge, to get through the winter.

I think most parent birds feed their young on a high protein insect diet
to build them up. It's only later that other food becomes acceptable.
The important thing is not to offer whole nuts while ever there may be
young birds and inexperience fledglings around because there is a very
real risk of choking.

btw I've never had all these starlings in the garden until the
sdff))

Just goes to show how sooper dooper (tm) it is.

True *wink*

Thank you) You always cheer me up too and I look forward to your
posts)

That's a happy coincidence:~)). We'd better keep it up, then;~)

That would be nice))

Lovely to hear tales from your garden again, and learn that the
starlings were doing well:~). Thanks for that. Night, Sweetie.

Aww night night to you too Sweetie and big hugs too!!!

Hug of the Day flying to you. It's alright, you don't have to feed
it;~).

lol not even mealworms ...???

Especially not mealworms, thank you:~). However, I do love vermicelli
which means 'little worms':~).
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Starlings and Rooks David Hill United Kingdom 0 29-01-2015 05:48 PM
Ping sacha - reposted message! Ping Spider re Deutzia Spider[_2_] United Kingdom 4 04-05-2009 06:28 AM
Starlings Mel United Kingdom 0 11-01-2007 01:51 PM
STARLINGS Josie United Kingdom 2 22-12-2006 11:07 PM
STARLINGS Josie United Kingdom 6 14-12-2006 07:18 AM