Old 12-01-2015, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ping Spider (starlings)

"Spider" wrote in message
Ok I will watch out for that. Incidentally, is this just for starlings
or
all the birds? I was just reading Stephen's post who no longer gets
them I suppose they may not come back

I should just put it where the starlings eat and see what happens. Lots
of birds need a meat diet and may be interested, but there's no guarantee
the starlings will take it yet. It was just my suggestion, being a form
of meat you could easily offer. You'll soon find out if there are other
interested parties. Continue to put out the fat balls so the starlings
have a choice; that way, you'll see which they prefer.

Yes, we filled up the sdff(tm) this afternoon. We had, a few starlings
(nothing like the mob we had yesterday) so they haven't forgotten us. When
they finished in the sdff they were also having a go at the fat balls on the
trees and while they were there, a chaffinch and a few sparrows got busy on
the sdff(tm). A lady blackbird was feeding on the ground from the bits the
others had dropped Well that was just one time I was watching The
sdff(tm) certainly seems popular))))

I am starting to feel slightly queasy ...

E, tha's a big girl's blouse, lass! Have a stiff cup of tea and remember
it's the birds who'll be eating the mealworms, not you!;~)).

Aye, tha's right missus. Sigh ... I shall 'ave to gird up me loins and get
mesen sorted!!! ;-)

I see various birds around them all the time so I think they are safe.
I am
not talking about garden ponds btw ...

Oh, right! Well, so long as the birds are safe.

Well I have never seen any birds swimming thank goodness and they do seem to
be very popular spots

If you use a strong cleaner like bleach, you will have to scrupulous
about
rinsing it well. I buy a cleaner made specially for pets called 'Keep
it
Clean':

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.a...uWtAo d_XcAUA

Right! I have taken note!

again, it is available in supermarkets, pet shops and many garden
centres.
I use it around my cats and for cleaning birdy devices. I even use it
clean the kitchen floor where the cats eat (yes, they have bowls!:~)).

lol I know just what you mean ...

I bet he will! Once you start this bird feeding obsession, you'll
both be only too pleased to forfeit some artefact or project to keep
the birds happy. Sounds good to me:~).

lol With your encouragement how else could it be????

Nice of you to say so, but it's *your* encouragement the birds are
interested in. You've both made a great start and I get no sense that
you're about to stop:~).

Not a chance ... g Does the diet change throughout the year?

The parent starlings offer only live insect food to start with. After
some weeks (mentioned in that starling link, I believe), the young can
take other foodstuffs as well. They have to really, because they have to
eat seeds/berries/nuts, as well as scavenge, to get through the winter.

I think most parent birds feed their young on a high protein insect diet
to build them up. It's only later that other food becomes acceptable. The
important thing is not to offer whole nuts while ever there may be young
birds and inexperience fledglings around because there is a very real risk
of choking.

Oh crumbs! (puts peanuts back in shed - the one without a guttering)

So when is this likely to happen? Are the few who came today the ones
likely to breed nearby?

Sheesh I know so little. For many years I was living away from UK or
working and since I retired I moved around with hubby who was an IT
consultant contractor and it is only since he retired fairly recently that I
have had the time to stay home for a long enough period to take such an
interest in the life in my garden. But I am enjoying it very much, so thank
you for teaching me)

Hug of the Day flying to you. It's alright, you don't have to feed
it;~).

lol not even mealworms ...???

Especially not mealworms, thank you:~). However, I do love vermicelli
which means 'little worms':~).

LOLOL

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 12-01-2015, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 17:01:00 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

You could try offering the dried mealworms often on sale for wild birds.

Heck, from where would I obtain the aforementioned err mealworms???

They are sold in tubs or strong polythene packs specifically for bird
feeding. We buy ours from Poundstretcher or whichever gardencentre we're
visiting. If you can find them in pound shops, they will be cheaper.
They're widely available. I

The link actually shows a suet block with mealworms, but insect ones are
available, too. Once you start looking, you'll see all sorts of diets and
flavours.

I am starting to feel slightly queasy ...

Got a container handy?

I purchased a large bag of dried mealworms at the end of last winter
and didn't get around to putting any out as spring came .
Last November as I was getting the feeders ready I decided to put some
out and removed a handful. Interesting sensation on the hand and on
closer examination most of the mealworms were alive and moving.
Must have been some eggs amongst the batch which hatched in the warmth
of summer . looked like they had survived by eating the dried ones
which had become moist from rain that penetrated the old metal bin
they were kept in.

Birds loved them, Some worms are still alive now.

G.Harman
Old 13-01-2015, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Must have been some eggs amongst the batch which hatched in the warmth
of summer . looked like they had survived by eating the dried ones
which had become moist from rain that penetrated the old metal bin
they were kept in.

Birds loved them, Some worms are still alive now.

So, are you still putting your hand in there ....???

eeh tha's a brave lad!!!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 13-01-2015, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

You can feed your mealworms on fine grade wheat bran, usually available
where you buy cereals. I used to keep a biggish tub of mealworms alive
and well in readiness for feeding my tarantulas (which I no longer have).
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 13-01-2015, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/01/2015 22:15, Ophelia wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

It may be popular because it's a bigger than usual structure which
allows them plenty of room, plus it's sufficiently open that they they
can see predators approaching. Nice to know the other birds are getting
a beakful, too:~).

I am starting to feel slightly queasy ...

E, tha's a big girl's blouse, lass! Have a stiff cup of tea and
remember it's the birds who'll be eating the mealworms, not you!;~)).

Aye, tha's right missus. Sigh ... I shall 'ave to gird up me loins and
get mesen sorted!!! ;-)

LOL! That's fighting talk! If wriggly things really do give you
queasitis, then buy the suet blocks with insects/mealworms all mixed in.
You won't perceive you're handling them in quite the same way. The
birds will still be grateful.

I see various birds around them all the time so I think they are safe.
I am
not talking about garden ponds btw ...

Oh, right! Well, so long as the birds are safe.

Well I have never seen any birds swimming thank goodness and they do
seem to be very popular spots

They don't swim. They just drown:~((. However, if the birds have found
a popular spot and are safe, then we're all happy.

If you use a strong cleaner like bleach, you will have to scrupulous
about
rinsing it well. I buy a cleaner made specially for pets called
'Keep it
Clean':

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.a...uWtAo d_XcAUA

Right! I have taken note!

again, it is available in supermarkets, pet shops and many garden
centres.
I use it around my cats and for cleaning birdy devices. I even use
it to
[...]

Yes, birds will take crumbs;~)). (E, I shall cut mesen one day!). As to
the peanuts, you can get them out of the shed again and put them in a
mesh feeder, which is safe. Birds love peanuts and they're good for
them, too, they just need to be available in small pieces so choking is
avoided. Don't feel guilty, by the way, that squirrels aren't getting
their share; peanuts give squirrels osteoporosis.

So when is this likely to happen? Are the few who came today the ones
likely to breed nearby?

There's a good chance of it, I would have thought, especially if you
keep up your feeding regime. Any bird or creature will breed as close
to a good feeding ground as it safely can. However, you will need to
stop using pesticides in the garden, otherwise the parent birds will
offer poisoned insect food to their young, which I know you don't want.
Hopefully, with a garden full of hungry birds, most of your aphids and
caterpillers will be gobbled up:~).

Sheesh I know so little. For many years I was living away from UK or
working and since I retired I moved around with hubby who was an IT
consultant contractor and it is only since he retired fairly recently
that I have had the time to stay home for a long enough period to take
such an interest in the life in my garden. But I am enjoying it very
much, so thank you for teaching me)

I'm not sure I'm teaching you, so much as geeing up your pre-existing
enthusiasm, and chucking in a few tips. I'm no expert. I'm learning as
I go along, too.

Hug of the Day flying to you. It's alright, you don't have to feed
it;~).

lol not even mealworms ...???

Especially not mealworms, thank you:~). However, I do love vermicelli
which means 'little worms':~).

LOLOL

:~)).
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 13-01-2015, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/01/2015 13:14, Spider wrote:

You can feed your mealworms on fine grade wheat bran, usually available
where you buy cereals. I used to keep a biggish tub of mealworms alive
and well in readiness for feeding my tarantulas (which I no longer have).

Revenge of the mealworms? You must have given them too much bran.

--
regards andy
Old 13-01-2015, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

It may be popular because it's a bigger than usual structure which allows
them plenty of room, plus it's sufficiently open that they they can see
predators approaching. Nice to know the other birds are getting a
beakful, too:~).

ATM we have a good half dozen starlings and several sparrows eating (mostly)
amicably together When a starling gets fed up and bumps a sparrow off, it
just hops on to one of the seeds feeders and then back again))

I am starting to feel slightly queasy ...

E, tha's a big girl's blouse, lass! Have a stiff cup of tea and
remember it's the birds who'll be eating the mealworms, not you!;~)).

Aye, tha's right missus. Sigh ... I shall 'ave to gird up me loins and
get mesen sorted!!! ;-)

LOL! That's fighting talk! If wriggly things really do give you
queasitis, then buy the suet blocks with insects/mealworms all mixed in.

I have every intention of doing just that ...

You won't perceive you're handling them in quite the same way. The birds
will still be grateful.

I won't be handling them at all. I have a big strong hubby who can do the
honours thankewverymuch)
BTW I saw the cage for them on that site you shared so I will be going down
that road

I see various birds around them all the time so I think they are safe.
I am
not talking about garden ponds btw ...

Oh, right! Well, so long as the birds are safe.

Well I have never seen any birds swimming thank goodness and they do
seem to be very popular spots

They don't swim. They just drown:~((. However, if the birds have found a
popular spot and are safe, then we're all happy.

They look ok to me These ponds have reeds, bullrushes and stuff too if
that helps?

I think most parent birds feed their young on a high protein insect
diet to build them up. It's only later that other food becomes
acceptable. The important thing is not to offer whole nuts while ever
there may be young birds and inexperience fledglings around because
there is a very real risk of choking.

Oh crumbs! (puts peanuts back in shed - the one without a guttering)

Yes, birds will take crumbs;~)). (E, I shall cut mesen one day!).

Aye thi tongue's getting reet sharp, our lass, so tha'll need to tek care!

About the crumbs, modom? I bake all my bread so there will be options g I
do a nice wholemeal with mixed seeds and toasted wheat flakes! Would modom
think these will be appreciated? I also dry bread to make crumbs for
cooking. Will these be enjoyed our should they have fresh??

(Don't even think of suggesting his nibs wear his dress suit to serve 'em)

As to
the peanuts, you can get them out of the shed again and put them in a mesh
feeder, which is safe. Birds love peanuts and they're good for them, too,
they just need to be available in small pieces so choking is avoided.
Don't feel guilty, by the way, that squirrels aren't getting their share;
peanuts give squirrels osteoporosis.

eeh in out, in out, shake it all about ... so, peanuts back out then!

So when is this likely to happen? Are the few who came today the ones
likely to breed nearby?

There's a good chance of it, I would have thought, especially if you keep
up your feeding regime. Any bird or creature will breed as close to a
good feeding ground as it safely can.

That is cheering news

However, you will need to
stop using pesticides in the garden, otherwise the parent birds will offer
poisoned insect food to their young, which I know you don't want.

I don't use pesticides ... or I haven't so far as I remember.

)

Sheesh I know so little. For many years I was living away from UK or
working and since I retired I moved around with hubby who was an IT
consultant contractor and it is only since he retired fairly recently
that I have had the time to stay home for a long enough period to take
such an interest in the life in my garden. But I am enjoying it very
much, so thank you for teaching me)

I'm not sure I'm teaching you, so much as geeing up your pre-existing
enthusiasm, and chucking in a few tips. I'm no expert. I'm learning as I
go along, too.

Well you sure as heck know more that I do!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 13-01-2015, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/01/2015 15:53, Ophelia wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message

It may be popular because it's a bigger than usual structure which
allows them plenty of room, plus it's sufficiently open that they they
can see predators approaching. Nice to know the other birds are
getting a beakful, too:~).

ATM we have a good half dozen starlings and several sparrows eating
(mostly) amicably together When a starling gets fed up and bumps a
sparrow off, it just hops on to one of the seeds feeders and then back
again))

Lovely! I haven't seen a sparrow for ages. Lucky you.

I am starting to feel slightly queasy ...

E, tha's a big girl's blouse, lass! Have a stiff cup of tea and
remember it's the birds who'll be eating the mealworms, not you!;~)).

Aye, tha's right missus. Sigh ... I shall 'ave to gird up me loins and
get mesen sorted!!! ;-)

LOL! That's fighting talk! If wriggly things really do give you
queasitis, then buy the suet blocks with insects/mealworms all mixed in.

I have every intention of doing just that ...

You won't perceive you're handling them in quite the same way. The
birds will still be grateful.

I won't be handling them at all. I have a big strong hubby who can do
the honours thankewverymuch)

Just as well, Your Queasyship;~). Thank you to hubby from me (waves).

BTW I saw the cage for them on that site you shared so I will be going
down that road

Great. I'd only just found that site, but it's very useful
..

I see various birds around them all the time so I think they are safe.
I am
not talking about garden ponds btw ...

Oh, right! Well, so long as the birds are safe.

Well I have never seen any birds swimming thank goodness and they do
seem to be very popular spots

They don't swim. They just drown:~((. However, if the birds have
found a popular spot and are safe, then we're all happy.

They look ok to me These ponds have reeds, bullrushes and stuff too if
that helps?

If nothing else, the fluffy seed from the bullrushes will be a popular
source of nesting material:~).

I think most parent birds feed their young on a high protein insect
diet to build them up. It's only later that other food becomes
acceptable. The important thing is not to offer whole nuts while ever
there may be young birds and inexperience fledglings around because
there is a very real risk of choking.

Oh crumbs! (puts peanuts back in shed - the one without a guttering)

Yes, birds will take crumbs;~)). (E, I shall cut mesen one day!).

Aye thi tongue's getting reet sharp, our lass, so tha'll need to tek care!

I wouldn't want to cut myself with it ... I might be a venomous spider:~(

About the crumbs, modom?

Modom, me!? La di bloomin' dah! You should see me in my claggy
gardening gear .. you wouldn't call me modom then:~)).

I bake all my bread so there will be options
g I do a nice wholemeal with mixed seeds and toasted wheat flakes!
Would modom think these will be appreciated? I also dry bread to make
crumbs for cooking. Will these be enjoyed our should they have fresh??

Fresh is best, simply because it's moister. If you want to put dry
bread out, make sure there is an *immediate* source of water. Dry food
can swell up in a bird's moist gullet and be harmful. I've even seen
birds dunking dry food in water before eating it:~).

(Don't even think of suggesting his nibs wear his dress suit to serve 'em)

Well, it would be an improvement on wearing his dress ...
My mind is beginning to boggle;~).

As to
the peanuts, you can get them out of the shed again and put them in a
mesh feeder, which is safe. Birds love peanuts and they're good for
them, too, they just need to be available in small pieces so choking
is avoided. Don't feel guilty, by the way, that squirrels aren't
getting their share; peanuts give squirrels osteoporosis.

eeh in out, in out, shake it all about ... so, peanuts back out then!

Yup. That sounds okey cokey;~).

So when is this likely to happen? Are the few who came today the ones
likely to breed nearby?

I'm not sure, but I think I remember that starlings breed and rear their
young in small colonies, so you should have more than one in residence.
However, I can't even tell male from female, so there's no hope of me
telling you which of the usual suspects will settle. Once they're got
young, though, you may have to be prepared for some territorial
aggression. I'm sure there'll be other local colonies of 'your'
starlings not far away, waiting for an opportunity to snatch some food:~)

There's a good chance of it, I would have thought, especially if you
keep up your feeding regime. Any bird or creature will breed as close
to a good feeding ground as it safely can.

That is cheering news

However, you will need to
stop using pesticides in the garden, otherwise the parent birds will
offer poisoned insect food to their young, which I know you don't want.

I don't use pesticides ... or I haven't so far as I remember.

:~) Good. Keep up the good work.

Hopefully, with a garden full of hungry birds, most of your aphids
and caterpillers will be gobbled up:~).

)

Sheesh I know so little. For many years I was living away from UK or
working and since I retired I moved around with hubby who was an IT
consultant contractor and it is only since he retired fairly recently
that I have had the time to stay home for a long enough period to take
such an interest in the life in my garden. But I am enjoying it very
much, so thank you for teaching me)

I'm not sure I'm teaching you, so much as geeing up your pre-existing
enthusiasm, and chucking in a few tips. I'm no expert. I'm learning
as I go along, too.

Well you sure as heck know more that I do!

Well some of it, once learned, applies to most birds, which makes it
easier. I picked up a lot from my father, although professional birdy
knowledge has shifted its opinion over the years. I just enjoy birds and
learning, rather like yourself:~).
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 14-01-2015, 12:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 13 Jan 2015 12:55:59 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

Interesting sensation on the hand and on
closer examination most of the mealworms were alive and moving.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Must have been some eggs amongst the batch which hatched in the warmth
of summer

Birds loved them, Some worms are still alive now.

So, are you still putting your hand in there ....???

Yes ,though the cold is finishing them off now.
I have a high tolerance to such things, it was more of a surprise the
first time.

G.Harman
Old 14-01-2015, 12:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 13 Jan 2015 13:14:08 +0000, Spider wrote:

Birds loved them, Some worms are still alive now.

You can feed your mealworms on fine grade wheat bran, usually available
where you buy cereals. I used to keep a biggish tub of mealworms alive
and well in readiness for feeding my tarantulas (which I no longer have).

Have thought about breeding them in the past as they can be quite
expensive. Would you know what the minimum temperature they will
survive at? We don't really have space indoors .

G.Harman

Old 14-01-2015, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/01/2015 00:18, wrote:
On Tue, 13 Jan 2015 13:14:08 +0000, Spider wrote:

Birds loved them, Some worms are still alive now.

You can feed your mealworms on fine grade wheat bran, usually available
where you buy cereals. I used to keep a biggish tub of mealworms alive
and well in readiness for feeding my tarantulas (which I no longer have).

Have thought about breeding them in the past as they can be quite
expensive. Would you know what the minimum temperature they will
survive at? We don't really have space indoors .

G.Harman

To be honest, I just kept mine in a large plastic tub on an indoor
window sill, so if I was comfortable, they were comfortable. You don't
need a huge amount of space. Once in a while, you will need a second
box containing the bran to decant live worms into, because there will
inevitably be a build up of shed skins and other detritus. As they
mature, some will turn into beetles if they have not been eaten in time
(less of a problem with birds than tarantulas, I think!), but you need
some beetles to keep the breeding programme going. I just put excess
beetles out in the garden. They never seemed to cause a problem.
Perhaps something else ate them.

http://mealwormcare.org/breeding/

Just found the above link which I'm sure you will find useful. It
suggests that my window sill culture ought not to have been successful,
but it was. Mealworms are extremely easy to breed, they do most of the
work themselves;~).
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 14-01-2015, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 00:18:07 +0000, wrote:

On Tue, 13 Jan 2015 13:14:08 +0000, Spider wrote:

Birds loved them, Some worms are still alive now.

You can feed your mealworms on fine grade wheat bran, usually available
where you buy cereals. I used to keep a biggish tub of mealworms alive
and well in readiness for feeding my tarantulas (which I no longer have).

Have thought about breeding them in the past as they can be quite
expensive. Would you know what the minimum temperature they will
survive at? We don't really have space indoors .

G.Harman

I use to breed the small mealworm variety for my fish about 50 years
ago. From memory, they breed at 20C/68F but it takes about two months.
At 30C/86F it only takes a week or two. The fish house was warm
enough. I have never tried to breed the large variety for feeding
birds but I think they will need the same temperature.

Another memory is that they do best on a mix of oats and
wheat bran with slices of apple on the top of the substrate.

These days I don't think it's worth the effort and heating bill as
tubs of dried ones don't cost much.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software
http://www.npsnn.com

Old 14-01-2015, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

Lovely! I haven't seen a sparrow for ages. Lucky you.

I know We get finches and tits too as well as blackbirds We have a
lot of magpies around too, but none in the garden that I have seen.

I won't be handling them at all. I have a big strong hubby who can do
the honours thankewverymuch)

Just as well, Your Queasyship;~). Thank you to hubby from me (waves).

Done and a grin was forthcoming

.

They look ok to me These ponds have reeds, bullrushes and stuff too if
that helps?

If nothing else, the fluffy seed from the bullrushes will be a popular
source of nesting material:~).

Ahh so that is the attraction

Oh crumbs! (puts peanuts back in shed - the one without a guttering)

Yes, birds will take crumbs;~)). (E, I shall cut mesen one day!).

Aye thi tongue's getting reet sharp, our lass, so tha'll need to tek
care!

I wouldn't want to cut myself with it ... I might be a venomous spider:~(

*cough* I wouldn't dare presume ...

About the crumbs, modom?

Modom, me!? La di bloomin' dah! You should see me in my claggy gardening
gear .. you wouldn't call me modom then:~)).

heheh you never know))

Fresh is best, simply because it's moister. If you want to put dry bread
out, make sure there is an *immediate* source of water. Dry food can
swell up in a bird's moist gullet and be harmful. I've even seen birds
dunking dry food in water before eating it:~).

Righteo

(Don't even think of suggesting his nibs wear his dress suit to serve
'em)

Well, it would be an improvement on wearing his dress ...
My mind is beginning to boggle;~).

He has lovely knees. I am of course referring to his kilt He is Scottish
born although raised in Yorkshire) So what were you saying about his
dress? hmmm???

As to
the peanuts, you can get them out of the shed again and put them in a
mesh feeder, which is safe. Birds love peanuts and they're good for
them, too, they just need to be available in small pieces so choking
is avoided. Don't feel guilty, by the way, that squirrels aren't
getting their share; peanuts give squirrels osteoporosis.

eeh in out, in out, shake it all about ... so, peanuts back out then!

Yup. That sounds okey cokey;~).

lol

So when is this likely to happen? Are the few who came today the ones
likely to breed nearby?

I'm not sure, but I think I remember that starlings breed and rear their
young in small colonies, so you should have more than one in residence.
However, I can't even tell male from female, so there's no hope of me
telling you which of the usual suspects will settle. Once they're got
young, though, you may have to be prepared for some territorial
aggression. I'm sure there'll be other local colonies of 'your' starlings
not far away, waiting for an opportunity to snatch some food:~)

We had a bit of a mob today and there were around 12 at a time on the
sdff!!! That odd looking thing has certainly proved a success

I don't use pesticides ... or I haven't so far as I remember.

:~) Good. Keep up the good work.

Hopefully, with a garden full of hungry birds, most of your aphids
and caterpillers will be gobbled up:~).

)

I'm not sure I'm teaching you, so much as geeing up your pre-existing
enthusiasm, and chucking in a few tips. I'm no expert. I'm learning
as I go along, too.

Well you sure as heck know more that I do!

Well some of it, once learned, applies to most birds, which makes it
easier. I picked up a lot from my father, although professional birdy
knowledge has shifted its opinion over the years. I just enjoy birds and
learning, rather like yourself:~).

Ahaaaa I reckon I will be happy with your father's advice filtered through
you))

Yes, I am enjoying it very much)

Thank you as always)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 14-01-2015, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Interesting sensation on the hand and on
closer examination most of the mealworms were alive and moving.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Must have been some eggs amongst the batch which hatched in the warmth
of summer

Birds loved them, Some worms are still alive now.

So, are you still putting your hand in there ....???

Yes ,though the cold is finishing them off now.
I have a high tolerance to such things, it was more of a surprise the
first time.

I can only repeat .. ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 16-01-2015, 01:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/01/2015 20:38, Ophelia wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message

Lovely! I haven't seen a sparrow for ages. Lucky you.

I know We get finches and tits too as well as blackbirds We have a
lot of magpies around too, but none in the garden that I have seen.

We also have the Ring-necked Parakeets regularly now. They seem to be
established locally now. I find them very attractive and can still
enjoy their screeching call. I may be in the minority, however. Some
people call them Wring-necked Parakeets! I don't know if you'll ever
see them that far up't'north, but I think you'd welcome them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/life/Rose-ringed_Parakeet

I won't be handling them at all. I have a big strong hubby who can do
the honours thankewverymuch)

Just as well, Your Queasyship;~). Thank you to hubby from me (waves).

Done and a grin was forthcoming

:~).

BTW I saw the cage for them on that site you shared so I will be going
down that road

Great. I'd only just found that site, but it's very useful
.

They look ok to me These ponds have reeds, bullrushes and stuff too if
that helps?

If nothing else, the fluffy seed from the bullrushes will be a popular
source of nesting material:~).

Ahh so that is the attraction

Must make a nice, comfy nest:~)

Oh crumbs! (puts peanuts back in shed - the one without a guttering)

Yes, birds will take crumbs;~)). (E, I shall cut mesen one day!).

Aye thi tongue's getting reet sharp, our lass, so tha'll need to tek
care!

I wouldn't want to cut myself with it ... I might be a venomous spider:~(

*cough* I wouldn't dare presume ...

Fang you for being so circumspect;~)

About the crumbs, modom?

Modom, me!? La di bloomin' dah! You should see me in my claggy
gardening gear .. you wouldn't call me modom then:~)).

heheh you never know))

Fresh is best, simply because it's moister. If you want to put dry
bread out, make sure there is an *immediate* source of water. Dry
food can swell up in a bird's moist gullet and be harmful. I've even
seen birds dunking dry food in water before eating it:~).

Righteo

(Don't even think of suggesting his nibs wear his dress suit to
serve 'em)

Well, it would be an improvement on wearing his dress ...
My mind is beginning to boggle;~).

He has lovely knees. I am of course referring to his kilt He is
Scottish born although raised in Yorkshire) So what were you saying
about his dress? hmmm???

Oooooer! I'm not going to pick a fight with him now. What fine
breeding (creep creep) and upbringing (grovel).
You'll have heard the comparison, I'm su A Yorkshireman is very like
a Scot .. but without the innate generosity:~)). Sadly it says nothing
about lovely knees.

[...]

Well, you can't dismantle it now. That shed will be gutted;~)

I don't use pesticides ... or I haven't so far as I remember.

:~) Good. Keep up the good work.

Hopefully, with a garden full of hungry birds, most of your aphids
and caterpillers will be gobbled up:~).

)

I'm not sure I'm teaching you, so much as geeing up your pre-existing
enthusiasm, and chucking in a few tips. I'm no expert. I'm learning
as I go along, too.

Well you sure as heck know more that I do!

Well some of it, once learned, applies to most birds, which makes it
easier. I picked up a lot from my father, although professional birdy
knowledge has shifted its opinion over the years. I just enjoy birds
and learning, rather like yourself:~).

Ahaaaa I reckon I will be happy with your father's advice filtered
through you))

That's nice. He'll be smiling up in heaven now:~).

Yes, I am enjoying it very much)

Thank you as always)

A pleasure, as always:~)).
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Starlings and Rooks David Hill United Kingdom 0 29-01-2015 05:48 PM
Ping sacha - reposted message! Ping Spider re Deutzia Spider[_2_] United Kingdom 4 04-05-2009 06:28 AM
Starlings Mel United Kingdom 0 11-01-2007 01:51 PM
STARLINGS Josie United Kingdom 2 22-12-2006 11:07 PM
STARLINGS Josie United Kingdom 6 14-12-2006 07:18 AM