Old 16-01-2015, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ping Spider (starlings)

Lovely! I haven't seen a sparrow for ages. Lucky you.

I know We get finches and tits too as well as blackbirds We have a
lot of magpies around too, but none in the garden that I have seen.

We also have the Ring-necked Parakeets regularly now. They seem to be
established locally now. I find them very attractive and can still enjoy
their screeching call. I may be in the minority, however. Some people
call them Wring-necked Parakeets! I don't know if you'll ever see them
that far up't'north, but I think you'd welcome them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/life/Rose-ringed_Parakeet

Not only have I not seen them here, I haven't seen any at all! They look
like a lovely addition to your garden) I see they are 'descended from
pets and aviary birds'. I am sure they will get a good dinner in your
garden)

I won't be handling them at all. I have a big strong hubby who can do
the honours thankewverymuch)

Just as well, Your Queasyship;~). Thank you to hubby from me (waves).

Done and a grin was forthcoming

:~).

BTW I saw the cage for them on that site you shared so I will be going
down that road

Great. I'd only just found that site, but it's very useful
.

They look ok to me These ponds have reeds, bullrushes and stuff too
if
that helps?

If nothing else, the fluffy seed from the bullrushes will be a popular
source of nesting material:~).

Ahh so that is the attraction

Must make a nice, comfy nest:~)

In or near my garden if you please)

Oh crumbs! (puts peanuts back in shed - the one without a guttering)

Yes, birds will take crumbs;~)). (E, I shall cut mesen one day!).

Aye thi tongue's getting reet sharp, our lass, so tha'll need to tek
care!

I wouldn't want to cut myself with it ... I might be a venomous
spider:~(

*cough* I wouldn't dare presume ...

Fang you for being so circumspect;~)

Nodnodnod *backs off slowly, not making any sudden moves*

Not sure what I would do if I came up against a very large spider We
have small ones in our house and they are very welcome Still some people
are afraid of them. I don't know if I mentioned this, but one day I was in
the bedroom when the phone rang. I answered it and sat on the bed to chat
with a friend. Just then, a spider ran up one side, across the bed and down
the other side. I mentioned this to my friend and *SHE* started
screaming!!!

About the crumbs, modom?

Modom, me!? La di bloomin' dah! You should see me in my claggy
gardening gear .. you wouldn't call me modom then:~)).

heheh you never know))

Fresh is best, simply because it's moister. If you want to put dry
bread out, make sure there is an *immediate* source of water. Dry
food can swell up in a bird's moist gullet and be harmful. I've even
seen birds dunking dry food in water before eating it:~).

Righteo

(Don't even think of suggesting his nibs wear his dress suit to
serve 'em)

Well, it would be an improvement on wearing his dress ...
My mind is beginning to boggle;~).

He has lovely knees. I am of course referring to his kilt He is
Scottish born although raised in Yorkshire) So what were you saying
about his dress? hmmm???

Oooooer! I'm not going to pick a fight with him now. What fine breeding
(creep creep) and upbringing (grovel).

LOL

You'll have heard the comparison, I'm su A Yorkshireman is very like a
Scot .. but without the innate generosity:~)). Sadly it says nothing
about lovely knees.

LOL But he has both, I don't mean both knees ;-) I mean nice knees and a
very kind and generous nature)

We had a bit of a mob today and there were around 12 at a time on the
sdff!!! That odd looking thing has certainly proved a success

Well, you can't dismantle it now. That shed will be gutted;~)

No, he won't do it now until the birds stop needing the food for winter. We
have heavy snow atm and I see the fat balls are totally covered by snow.
When it eases up a bit I need to go down and clear it.

Ooh just spotted a small flock of starlings in the sky swooping about. Not
come down here though

Hopefully, with a garden full of hungry birds, most of your aphids
and caterpillers will be gobbled up:~).

)

Ahaaaa I reckon I will be happy with your father's advice filtered
through you))

That's nice. He'll be smiling up in heaven now:~).

Good)) I expect he is always smiling down at you though)

Yes, I am enjoying it very much)

Thank you as always)

A pleasure, as always:~)).

))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 16-01-2015, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/01/2015 15:57, Ophelia wrote:

Lovely! I haven't seen a sparrow for ages. Lucky you.

I know We get finches and tits too as well as blackbirds We have a
lot of magpies around too, but none in the garden that I have seen.

We also have the Ring-necked Parakeets regularly now. They seem to be
established locally now. I find them very attractive and can still
enjoy their screeching call. I may be in the minority, however. Some
people call them Wring-necked Parakeets! I don't know if you'll ever
see them that far up't'north, but I think you'd welcome them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/life/Rose-ringed_Parakeet

Not only have I not seen them here, I haven't seen any at all! They
look like a lovely addition to your garden) I see they are 'descended
from pets and aviary birds'. I am sure they will get a good dinner in
your garden)

They are beautiful and, yes, they do very well, not just in my garden,
but the whole road~).

I won't be handling them at all. I have a big strong hubby who can do
the honours thankewverymuch)

Just as well, Your Queasyship;~). Thank you to hubby from me (waves).

Done and a grin was forthcoming

:~).

BTW I saw the cage for them on that site you shared so I will be going
down that road

Great. I'd only just found that site, but it's very useful
.

They look ok to me These ponds have reeds, bullrushes and stuff
too if
that helps?

If nothing else, the fluffy seed from the bullrushes will be a popular
source of nesting material:~).

Ahh so that is the attraction

Must make a nice, comfy nest:~)

In or near my garden if you please)

No guarantees, but I'll cross my fingers when I've finished typing:~).

Oh crumbs! (puts peanuts back in shed - the one without a
guttering)

Yes, birds will take crumbs;~)). (E, I shall cut mesen one day!).

Aye thi tongue's getting reet sharp, our lass, so tha'll need to tek
care!

I wouldn't want to cut myself with it ... I might be a venomous
spider:~(

*cough* I wouldn't dare presume ...

Fang you for being so circumspect;~)

Nodnodnod *backs off slowly, not making any sudden moves*

LOL! Now that's respect!:~))

Not sure what I would do if I came up against a very large spider
We have small ones in our house and they are very welcome Still some
people are afraid of them. I don't know if I mentioned this, but one
day I was in the bedroom when the phone rang. I answered it and sat on
the bed to chat with a friend. Just then, a spider ran up one side,
across the bed and down the other side. I mentioned this to my friend
and *SHE* started screaming!!!

Arachnophobes are extraordinarily reactive (although they don't glow in
the dark!). I used to be *dreadfully* arachnophobic, reacting to half
an inch of spider's web as well as all spiders. I couldn't even look at
a spider in a book. It completely affected my life, so I quite
understand your friend's behaviour. I'm glad you get along with my
little friends, if not huge ones.

[...]

Glad to hear it, but I'm still not taking any risks;~)

We had a bit of a mob today and there were around 12 at a time on the
sdff!!! That odd looking thing has certainly proved a success

Well, you can't dismantle it now. That shed will be gutted;~)

No, he won't do it now until the birds stop needing the food for
winter. We have heavy snow atm and I see the fat balls are totally
covered by snow. When it eases up a bit I need to go down and clear it.

We have no snow, but I've just rushed in from the garden through a hail
and rain shower. I put some extra bird food out, so that will be
welcome if the weather turns.

Ooh just spotted a small flock of starlings in the sky swooping about.
Not come down here though

Probably looking for a cosy roost for the night. You'll have them back
in the morning. How could they resist the sd(tm)?:~)

Hopefully, with a garden full of hungry birds, most of your aphids
and caterpillers will be gobbled up:~).

)

Ahaaaa I reckon I will be happy with your father's advice filtered
through you))

That's nice. He'll be smiling up in heaven now:~).

Good)) I expect he is always smiling down at you though)

Oh, that's such a nice thought!:~)) I've gone all over unnecessary!
I've got his picture all over the house and he's smiling (one of those
intelligent smiles with a twinkle in the eye).

Yes, I am enjoying it very much)

Thank you as always)

A pleasure, as always:~)).

))

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London
gardening on heavy clay

Old 16-01-2015, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/life/Rose-ringed_Parakeet

Not only have I not seen them here, I haven't seen any at all! They
look like a lovely addition to your garden) I see they are 'descended
from pets and aviary birds'. I am sure they will get a good dinner in
your garden)

They are beautiful and, yes, they do very well, not just in my garden, but
the whole road~).

Will they nest in your garden?

If nothing else, the fluffy seed from the bullrushes will be a popular
source of nesting material:~).

Ahh so that is the attraction

Must make a nice, comfy nest:~)

In or near my garden if you please)

No guarantees, but I'll cross my fingers when I've finished typing:~).

Ta, luv

I wouldn't want to cut myself with it ... I might be a venomous
spider:~(

*cough* I wouldn't dare presume ...

Fang you for being so circumspect;~)

Nodnodnod *backs off slowly, not making any sudden moves*

LOL! Now that's respect!:~))

Not sure what I would do if I came up against a very large spider
We have small ones in our house and they are very welcome Still some
people are afraid of them. I don't know if I mentioned this, but one
day I was in the bedroom when the phone rang. I answered it and sat on
the bed to chat with a friend. Just then, a spider ran up one side,
across the bed and down the other side. I mentioned this to my friend
and *SHE* started screaming!!!

Arachnophobes are extraordinarily reactive (although they don't glow in
the dark!).

Yers g

I used to be *dreadfully* arachnophobic, reacting to half
an inch of spider's web as well as all spiders. I couldn't even look at a
spider in a book. It completely affected my life, so I quite understand
your friend's behaviour. I'm glad you get along with my little friends,
if not huge ones.

What changed?

I haven't come across anything very big. The biggest we have knocking
around there 'ere parts is about 1 inch across. Gave me quite a start one
evening as it ran across the floor) That is about the biggest I have seen
here.

LOL But he has both, I don't mean both knees ;-) I mean nice knees and a
very kind and generous nature)

Glad to hear it, but I'm still not taking any risks;~)

Nahh he is a real sweetie, well with people he likes you understand ... I
am very sure he would like you)

Well, you can't dismantle it now. That shed will be gutted;~)

No, he won't do it now until the birds stop needing the food for
winter. We have heavy snow atm and I see the fat balls are totally
covered by snow. When it eases up a bit I need to go down and clear it.

We have no snow, but I've just rushed in from the garden through a hail
and rain shower. I put some extra bird food out, so that will be welcome
if the weather turns.

)

Ooh just spotted a small flock of starlings in the sky swooping about.
Not come down here though

Probably looking for a cosy roost for the night. You'll have them back in
the morning. How could they resist the sd(tm)?:~)

How indeed)

Ahaaaa I reckon I will be happy with your father's advice filtered
through you))

That's nice. He'll be smiling up in heaven now:~).

Good)) I expect he is always smiling down at you though)

Oh, that's such a nice thought!:~)) I've gone all over unnecessary! I've
got his picture all over the house and he's smiling (one of those
intelligent smiles with a twinkle in the eye).

))) Enjoy

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 16-01-2015, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/01/2015 17:39, Ophelia wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/life/Rose-ringed_Parakeet

Not only have I not seen them here, I haven't seen any at all! They
look like a lovely addition to your garden) I see they are 'descended
from pets and aviary birds'. I am sure they will get a good dinner in
your garden)

They are beautiful and, yes, they do very well, not just in my garden,
but the whole road~).

Will they nest in your garden?

I doubt it. I've seen them in my elm tree, but it's not old enough for
a parakeet nest. They like holes in huge old trees and have been known
to take over woodpeckers' nests. We have a local wood at the end of the
road with lots of old trees in, so I imagine they'll set up home there.
Not too far away, so I shall see them throughout the year:~).

If nothing else, the fluffy seed from the bullrushes will be a
popular
source of nesting material:~).

Ahh so that is the attraction

Must make a nice, comfy nest:~)

In or near my garden if you please)

No guarantees, but I'll cross my fingers when I've finished typing:~).

Ta, luv

Glad to be of service:~).

[...]

I had a very bad spider experience (not bitten, just trapped) and went
to the doc. He sent me to the Maudsley Hospital to undergo a
desensitisation programme. It wasn't easy, but 3mnths later I was able
to handle both webs and spiders. Next thing was a pet tarantula:~)). I
had about 16 at one point, but don't have them now. Just 2 cats.

I haven't come across anything very big. The biggest we have knocking
around there 'ere parts is about 1 inch across. Gave me quite a start
one evening as it ran across the floor) That is about the biggest I
have seen here.

Being a proper spider person, I have to ask if that was just the body,
or the legspan included, please?

LOL But he has both, I don't mean both knees ;-) I mean nice knees and a
very kind and generous nature)

Glad to hear it, but I'm still not taking any risks;~)

Nahh he is a real sweetie, well with people he likes you understand ...
I am very sure he would like you)

:~)) and I'm sure I would like him, too ... well, both of you, of
course:~)).

[...]

I always do, thank you.:~)
Right, It's time for dinner, so I'll say ta ra for now. Have a good
evening both of you. Keep warm.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 18-01-2015, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
On 16/01/2015 17:39, Ophelia wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/life/Rose-ringed_Parakeet

Not only have I not seen them here, I haven't seen any at all! They
look like a lovely addition to your garden) I see they are
'descended
from pets and aviary birds'. I am sure they will get a good dinner in
your garden)

They are beautiful and, yes, they do very well, not just in my garden,
but the whole road~).

Will they nest in your garden?

I doubt it. I've seen them in my elm tree, but it's not old enough for a
parakeet nest. They like holes in huge old trees and have been known to
take over woodpeckers' nests. We have a local wood at the end of the road
with lots of old trees in, so I imagine they'll set up home there. Not too
far away, so I shall see them throughout the year:~).

Lovely)

Must make a nice, comfy nest:~)

In or near my garden if you please)

No guarantees, but I'll cross my fingers when I've finished typing:~).

Ta, luv

Glad to be of service:~).

I am keeping an eye out ...

I used to be *dreadfully* arachnophobic, reacting to half
an inch of spider's web as well as all spiders. I couldn't even look
at a spider in a book. It completely affected my life, so I quite
understand your friend's behaviour. I'm glad you get along with my
little friends, if not huge ones.

What changed?

I had a very bad spider experience (not bitten, just trapped) and went to
the doc. He sent me to the Maudsley Hospital to undergo a desensitisation
programme. It wasn't easy, but 3mnths later I was able to handle both
webs and spiders. Next thing was a pet tarantula:~)). I had about 16 at
one point, but don't have them now. Just 2 cats.

Now *that* was effective treatment!!! 16 eh??? Big ones/small ones/mixed?

I think I will stick with my dog)

I haven't come across anything very big. The biggest we have knocking
around there 'ere parts is about 1 inch across. Gave me quite a start
one evening as it ran across the floor) That is about the biggest I
have seen here.

Being a proper spider person, I have to ask if that was just the body, or
the legspan included, please?

Hubby says 2 inches counting the legs. It looked pretty big to me)

[...]

ta ra luv. Hope you had a good one Will catch up soon))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 18-01-2015, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/01/2015 13:30, Ophelia wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

On the mantlepiece?

I used to be *dreadfully* arachnophobic, reacting to half
an inch of spider's web as well as all spiders. I couldn't even look
at a spider in a book. It completely affected my life, so I quite
understand your friend's behaviour. I'm glad you get along with my
little friends, if not huge ones.

What changed?

I had a very bad spider experience (not bitten, just trapped) and went
to the doc. He sent me to the Maudsley Hospital to undergo a
desensitisation programme. It wasn't easy, but 3mnths later I was
able to handle both webs and spiders. Next thing was a pet
tarantula:~)). I had about 16 at one point, but don't have them now.
Just 2 cats.

Now *that* was effective treatment!!! 16 eh??? Big ones/small
ones/mixed?

I had about eight big ones and the rest were spiderlings .. aaahhh!
They're actually very cute and fluffy when young.

I think I will stick with my dog)

Ah, but spiders don't bark, you don't have to walk them, they don't
annoy the neighbours/bite the postman *and* their poo doesn't smell:~))

I haven't come across anything very big. The biggest we have knocking
around there 'ere parts is about 1 inch across. Gave me quite a start
one evening as it ran across the floor) That is about the biggest I
have seen here.

Being a proper spider person, I have to ask if that was just the body,
or the legspan included, please?

Hubby says 2 inches counting the legs. It looked pretty big to me)

It may have been Tegenaria gigantea, but there are other big ones.

[...]

See ya, Sweetie!
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 20-01-2015, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

I am keeping an eye out ...

On the mantlepiece?

??? Ok you got me with that one Reveal all, please?

I had a very bad spider experience (not bitten, just trapped) and went
to the doc. He sent me to the Maudsley Hospital to undergo a
desensitisation programme. It wasn't easy, but 3mnths later I was
able to handle both webs and spiders. Next thing was a pet
tarantula:~)). I had about 16 at one point, but don't have them now.
Just 2 cats.

Now *that* was effective treatment!!! 16 eh??? Big ones/small
ones/mixed?

I had about eight big ones and the rest were spiderlings .. aaahhh!
They're actually very cute and fluffy when young.

I think I will stick with my dog)

Ah, but spiders don't bark, you don't have to walk them, they don't annoy
the neighbours/bite the postman *and* their poo doesn't smell:~))

Mine is very smelly atm. She has a bad tum and she is going back to the
vet this afternoon. The meds she was given last week haven't made any
difference, so it will be blood tests etc

Being a proper spider person, I have to ask if that was just the body,
or the legspan included, please?

Hubby says 2 inches counting the legs. It looked pretty big to me)

It may have been Tegenaria gigantea, but there are other big ones.

I am happy with whatever I have. I am not holding open house for more g

;-) Not even on the mantlepiece!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 20-01-2015, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Ophelia wrote:
"Spider" wrote in message

I think I will stick with my dog)

Ah, but spiders don't bark, you don't have to walk them, they don't annoy
the neighbours/bite the postman *and* their poo doesn't smell:~))

Mine is very smelly atm. She has a bad tum and she is going back to the
vet this afternoon. The meds she was given last week haven't made any
difference, so it will be blood tests etc

The mind boggles. How many vets are prepared to treat or capable
of treating spiders?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-01-2015, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/01/2015 11:12, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Ophelia wrote:
"Spider" wrote in message

I think I will stick with my dog)

Ah, but spiders don't bark, you don't have to walk them, they don't annoy
the neighbours/bite the postman *and* their poo doesn't smell:~))

Mine is very smelly atm. She has a bad tum and she is going back to the
vet this afternoon. The meds she was given last week haven't made any
difference, so it will be blood tests etc

The mind boggles. How many vets are prepared to treat or capable
of treating spiders?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Not many I would think, but you would find them on the web.

(Sorry)
Old 20-01-2015, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/01/2015 10:51, Ophelia wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message

I am keeping an eye out ...

On the mantlepiece?

??? Ok you got me with that one Reveal all, please?

I was wondering if you kept your eyes out on the mantlepiece, that's
all. As for revealing all, it's much too chilly:~)

[...]

So sorry to hear that, Ophelia, I know how worrying it can be. I do wish
you lots of luck at the vets. Fingers crossed.

Being a proper spider person, I have to ask if that was just the body,
or the legspan included, please?

Hubby says 2 inches counting the legs. It looked pretty big to me)

It may have been Tegenaria gigantea, but there are other big ones.

I am happy with whatever I have. I am not holding open house for more g

;-) Not even on the mantlepiece!

Fair enough. At least you're not squishing them, so I'll be happy with
that.
Once again, I hope your little dog gets well soon.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 20-01-2015, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ophelia wrote:
"Spider" wrote in message

I think I will stick with my dog)

Ah, but spiders don't bark, you don't have to walk them, they don't annoy
the neighbours/bite the postman *and* their poo doesn't smell:~))

Mine is very smelly atm. She has a bad tum and she is going back to the
vet this afternoon. The meds she was given last week haven't made any
difference, so it will be blood tests etc

The mind boggles. How many vets are prepared to treat or capable
of treating spiders?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I suspect there are a few but, most of the time, owners take on their
own 'repair' work. I never had to do it, but Superglue is recommended
for patching up spiders whose skin is torn.
I did hear of a case once where, following a house fire, the owners
introduced their tarantulas to the firemen because of smoke inhalation.
The spiders were very sick. One of the firemen put his b.a. mask over
each spider until it was fully revived.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 20-01-2015, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Ophelia wrote:
"Spider" wrote in message

I think I will stick with my dog)

Ah, but spiders don't bark, you don't have to walk them, they don't
annoy
the neighbours/bite the postman *and* their poo doesn't smell:~))

Mine is very smelly atm. She has a bad tum and she is going back to the
vet this afternoon. The meds she was given last week haven't made any
difference, so it will be blood tests etc

The mind boggles. How many vets are prepared to treat or capable
of treating spiders?

I am sure our spider will know ;-)
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 20-01-2015, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

I am keeping an eye out ...

On the mantlepiece?

??? Ok you got me with that one Reveal all, please?

I was wondering if you kept your eyes out on the mantlepiece, that's all.
As for revealing all, it's much too chilly:~)

lol

[...]

Thanks you. She is a very unhappy girl and we hate to see her like that.
She is usually so happy and bouncy.

Being a proper spider person, I have to ask if that was just the body,
or the legspan included, please?

Hubby says 2 inches counting the legs. It looked pretty big to me)

It may have been Tegenaria gigantea, but there are other big ones.

I am happy with whatever I have. I am not holding open house for more

;-) Not even on the mantlepiece!

Fair enough. At least you're not squishing them, so I'll be happy with
that.

Not a chance I have told you before, we like them In fact I seem to
remember telling you that long before I knew you Now flies ... ugh!

Once again, I hope your little dog gets well soon.

Thank you. She has had a blood test and several jags - steroids,
antibiotics and something to help settle her stomach and several pills and
stuff to give her at home. The vet will call tomorrow with results of the
pooh test. She is nearly 11 yo so ... no spring chicken. She is a
rescue dog and we only got her last March but we love her to bits Our
last one was 11 when we got her and she lived until she was 17. Fingers
crossed Bonnie will live as long.

Thank you

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 20-01-2015, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ophelia wrote:
"Spider" wrote in message

[...]

Oh my!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Starlings and Rooks David Hill United Kingdom 0 29-01-2015 05:48 PM
Ping sacha - reposted message! Ping Spider re Deutzia Spider[_2_] United Kingdom 4 04-05-2009 06:28 AM
Starlings Mel United Kingdom 0 11-01-2007 01:51 PM
STARLINGS Josie United Kingdom 2 22-12-2006 11:07 PM
STARLINGS Josie United Kingdom 6 14-12-2006 07:18 AM