Old 20-01-2015, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Flower sprouts or kalettes

I have just bought some seeds of Flower sprouts from DT Browns,as I was impressed by the discussion in the weekend papers.
Has anyone on this forum any experience of growing this hybrid between brussel sprouts and kale? I am assuming that the growing season is similar to late sprouts.
Michael
Old 20-01-2015, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"michael" wrote ...

I have just bought some seeds of Flower sprouts from DT Browns,as I was
impressed by the discussion in the weekend papers.
Has anyone on this forum any experience of growing this hybrid between
brussel sprouts and kale? I am assuming that the growing season is similar
to late sprouts.

Funny enough I only saw them for the first time today whilst shopping in
Sainsbury's, looked like very blown sprouts to me, what are they like to
eat?
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 21-01-2015, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 16:23:45 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Funny enough I only saw them for the first time today, what are they like to
eat?

'tops' , ie: the foliage on top of the sprout plant, (younger readers
ask about them from your parents) and which is often thrown away, is
in our opinion the best cooked green veg, and this Xmas, had it with
the Beef and Turkey.
Sold by a few enlightened market stall holders.
Old 21-01-2015, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Funny enough I only saw them for the first time today, what are they like to
eat?

'tops' , ie: the foliage on top of the sprout plant, (younger readers
ask about them from your parents) and which is often thrown away, is
in our opinion the best cooked green veg, and this Xmas, had it with
the Beef and Turkey.
Sold by a few enlightened market stall holders.

That's like beetroot tops, usually thrown away, but I used to get a
bagful every time I went into Swansea Market free for my "Rabbit".
I love them.
Old 21-01-2015, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Derek" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Funny enough I only saw them for the first time today, what are they like
eat?

'tops' , ie: the foliage on top of the sprout plant, (younger readers
ask about them from your parents) and which is often thrown away, is
in our opinion the best cooked green veg, and this Xmas, had it with
the Beef and Turkey.
Sold by a few enlightened market stall holders.

These were more like very loose blown sprouts, small loose cabbages.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 21-01-2015, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/01/2015 18:52, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Derek" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Funny enough I only saw them for the first time today, what are they
like to
eat?

'tops' , ie: the foliage on top of the sprout plant, (younger readers
ask about them from your parents) and which is often thrown away, is
in our opinion the best cooked green veg, and this Xmas, had it with
the Beef and Turkey.
Sold by a few enlightened market stall holders.

These were more like very loose blown sprouts, small loose cabbages.

A big difference between sprout tops and blown sprouts (unless you have
giant sprouts).
Sprout tops will be semi flat whilst blown sprouts will be elongated.
Old 22-01-2015, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tuesday, January 20, 2015 at 3:34:08 PM UTC, michael wrote:
I have just bought some seeds of Flower sprouts from DT Browns,as I was impressed by the discussion in the weekend papers.
Has anyone on this forum any experience of growing this hybrid between brussel sprouts and kale? I am assuming that the growing season is similar to late sprouts.
Michael

I get the feeling that no one has yet tried flower sprouts. Brussel tops,which are one of my favourite greens, are the top growth of a normal brussel sprout plant.Blown sprouts are normal sprouts which are blown,probably because the soil was not compacted on planting.
Flower sprout or kalette is a totally different plant.It has been produced by research at a British company called Tozers (the company that produced Gladiator F1 parsnips) and is a cross (not GM)between kale and brussel sprout.The plant grows like a normal brussel sprout plant but with small florets where sprouts on normal brussel sprout plants are.
Apparently the florets taste rather like spring cabbage,and are extremely popular in the US.They are now being sold at top end supermarkets (Sainsburys and Waitrose)and are expensive (£1.50 for 200g)
So I have some seed,and will plant half a dozen plants this season.
I was just wondering if anyone here had already grown some.
Michael
Old 22-01-2015, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/01/2015 15:10, michael wrote:
[...]

Just found them on line. There are a couple of reviews there that I'm
sure will be of interest to you. They do look good. I'm tempted to try
some myself. Thanks for posting about them.

http://www.simplyseed.co.uk/brussel-...FcfItAodkG8AJg

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 22-01-2015, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Funny enough I only saw them for the first time today, what are they
like to
eat?

'tops' , ie: the foliage on top of the sprout plant, (younger readers
ask about them from your parents) and which is often thrown away, is
in our opinion the best cooked green veg, and this Xmas, had it with
the Beef and Turkey.
Sold by a few enlightened market stall holders.

These were more like very loose blown sprouts, small loose cabbages.

A big difference between sprout tops and blown sprouts (unless you have
giant sprouts).
Sprout tops will be semi flat whilst blown sprouts will be elongated.

Wouldn't it be a great idea to be able to sell blown sprouts, call them
kalettes and make them a posh thing in the supermarket? Call me cynical ;-)

Tina

Old 22-01-2015, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"michael" wrote

michael wrote:
[...]

Yes they say sprouts blowing is because the ground is not compacted but in
our case that is hardly the reason as one good shower and our ground in
compacted again. (it's clay/silt)
But because we do get a lot blow I'm also curious about these Kalette,
perhaps we will try some from Sainsbury's to see if they are worth growing
for us.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 22-01-2015, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Funny enough I only saw them for the first time today, what are they
like to
eat?

'tops' , ie: the foliage on top of the sprout plant, (younger readers
ask about them from your parents) and which is often thrown away, is
in our opinion the best cooked green veg, and this Xmas, had it with
the Beef and Turkey.
Sold by a few enlightened market stall holders.

These were more like very loose blown sprouts, small loose cabbages.

A big difference between sprout tops and blown sprouts (unless you have
giant sprouts).
Sprout tops will be semi flat whilst blown sprouts will be elongated.

Wouldn't it be a great idea to be able to sell blown sprouts, call them
kalettes and make them a posh thing in the supermarket? Call me cynical ;-)

Tina

Why call them kalettes?
Much better sproutettes
Old 22-01-2015, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Funny enough I only saw them for the first time today, what are they
like to
eat?

'tops' , ie: the foliage on top of the sprout plant, (younger readers
ask about them from your parents) and which is often thrown away, is
in our opinion the best cooked green veg, and this Xmas, had it with
the Beef and Turkey.
Sold by a few enlightened market stall holders.

These were more like very loose blown sprouts, small loose cabbages.

A big difference between sprout tops and blown sprouts (unless you have
giant sprouts).
Sprout tops will be semi flat whilst blown sprouts will be elongated.

Wouldn't it be a great idea to be able to sell blown sprouts, call them
kalettes and make them a posh thing in the supermarket? Call me cynical
;-)

Tina

Why call them kalettes?
Much better sproutettes

No, because it will be realised that they are brussels sprouts and a lot of
people say they don't like them and it will be very interesting to find that
if they are called kalettes, it will make a difference about whether it
makes a difference about whether you will eat them.

Old 22-01-2015, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

[...]

Anyone that stupid ..............
Call a spayed a spayed
Old 23-01-2015, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote

Anyone that stupid ..............
Call a spayed a spayed

Or a Eunuch perhaps. :-)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.
Old 23-01-2015, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"David Hill" wrote

Anyone that stupid ..............
Call a spayed a spayed

Or a Eunuch perhaps. :-)
--

grin
I think if you call something by a posh name some people who never ate it