Old 17-11-2015, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Automatic watering systems

Anyone with experience of the Hozelock system?

I have an outside tap at the back of the house and 3 half baskets at the
front. To avoid a run of the larger (13mm?) pipe I would like to do
most of the run in the narrower pipe which, although it is black, I
could hide more easily against the join between the white soffit and the
brick wall.

I am havig problems locating the appropriate kits in garden centres as
apparently Hozelock are revising their product range and the garden
centres only have what is left of the old range. Timing is important as
this is meant to be a Christmas present from my daughter.

Any thoughts

tia

Malcolm
Old 22-11-2015, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I have been using the Hozelock system for about 4 years for the
greenhouse with no problems. I have however been using the 13mm piping
for the 12m between house and greenhouse to eventually deliver to 10
outlets. With only 3 outlets the narrower pipe might well cope.

Paul

Old 23-11-2015, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Malcolm Race wrote:

Anyone with experience of the Hozelock system?

I have an outside tap at the back of the house and 3 half baskets at the
front. To avoid a run of the larger (13mm?) pipe I would like to do
most of the run in the narrower pipe which, although it is black, I
could hide more easily against the join between the white soffit and the
brick wall.

I am havig problems locating the appropriate kits in garden centres as
apparently Hozelock are revising their product range and the garden
centres only have what is left of the old range. Timing is important as
this is meant to be a Christmas present from my daughter.

The notes I have for my Hozelock system say that "No one length
of micro tube should be more than 15 m long".

I don't know how big your house is, but that looks reasonably
hopeful. The small drippers are self-regulating, and three
baskets probably won't need a great flow. In any case, just
adjust the watering period as required.

Other manufacturers are available (just look on line) and the
pipe sizes are the same, so you could put together your own
system from available parts.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 24-11-2015, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Malcolm Race
writes
Anyone with experience of the Hozelock system?

I have an outside tap at the back of the house and 3 half baskets at
the front. To avoid a run of the larger (13mm?) pipe I would like to
do most of the run in the narrower pipe which, although it is black, I
could hide more easily against the join between the white soffit and
the brick wall.

I am havig problems locating the appropriate kits in garden centres as
apparently Hozelock are revising their product range and the garden
centres only have what is left of the old range. Timing is important
as this is meant to be a Christmas present from my daughter.

Any thoughts

The stuff, and compatible stuff is easily available on line. eg
Garden4less or Ebay. I can't say if a long run of micro tube will
supple enough water for the baskets.

Personally I prefer the Tropf blomat system - uses ceramic probes to
sense the dampness of the soil and let water our of the valve. No need
for timers (which IME, esp if they are hozelock, fail), not over
watering when the weather cool/damp.

http://www.twowests.co.uk/category/p...umat-watering-
systems
--
Chris French

Old 25-11-2015, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/11/2015 22:47, Chris French wrote:
In message , Malcolm Race
writes
[...]

Many thanks Chris. I have looked at it briefly and I like the idea of
water being supplied according to need, rather than whether the basket
needs it or notthrough a timer. It looks to be the way to go

Malcolm

Old 01-12-2015, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/11/2015 16:18, Malcolm Race wrote:

Anyone with experience of the Hozelock system?

Yes. It works well enough. How far you can run the thin pipe and ge a
decnt flow rate I don't know. Their timer valve worked well for me.

I have an outside tap at the back of the house and 3 half baskets at the
front. To avoid a run of the larger (13mm?) pipe I would like to do
most of the run in the narrower pipe which, although it is black, I
could hide more easily against the join between the white soffit and the
brick wall.

You may need to arrange the baskets so that the one needing least water
is at the far end. I was using pumped rainwater so the main problem I
had was mosquito larvae jamming the drip jets. Ulimately solve by a pair
of old ladies tights over the pump inlet. Mains water should be OK.

I am havig problems locating the appropriate kits in garden centres as
apparently Hozelock are revising their product range and the garden
centres only have what is left of the old range. Timing is important as
this is meant to be a Christmas present from my daughter.

Any thoughts

Buy enough to be able to do everything you want. Chances are they will
change the dimensions so as to obsolete all existing installations

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 05-12-2015, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/12/2015 12:03, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

Many thanks for the reply. I decided that I would go for the Tropf
Blumat system recommended earlieras it does not rely on a timer but uses
a sensor to turn on the water at each point. Kit has been ordered, I
will report back when I have installed it

Malcolm
Old 06-12-2015, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Malcolm Race wrote:

I decided that I would go for the Tropf
Blumat system recommended earlieras it does not rely on a timer but uses
a sensor to turn on the water at each point.

Do you really need a separate sensor at each watering point?
Can one sensor not deal with several drips?

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 06-12-2015, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Timothy Murphy
writes
Malcolm Race wrote:

I decided that I would go for the Tropf
Blumat system recommended earlieras it does not rely on a timer but uses
a sensor to turn on the water at each point.

Do you really need a separate sensor at each watering point?
Can one sensor not deal with several drips?

Yes, each probe can feed more than one dripper - not sure how many, how
far, off hand.

However for hanging baskets you probably need one per basket. You might
well have more than one dripper in one basket though to to give even
watering.
--
Chris French

Old 11-12-2015, 09:37 PM
Doghouse Riley's Avatar
Registered User

I've two systems.

A leaky hose system which waters the full run of the main border from the side of the patio next to the house, right to the back left hand corner of the garden and across the rear bed up to the side of our tea-house.
The run is split into three, controlled by two hozelock valves, so I can water any combination or all of the three sections.

Then I've a sprinkler system for the lawn. I bought the heads on e-Bay for about £7 each. As it's only on mains pressure, I've only two heads. They cope with the whole lawn. The pipework is speed-fit and an old central heating boiler valve. Total cost around £50. It was easy to install. Just "V" shape wedges cut out of the lawn to intall the pipework about 6" below the lawn, then replaced, the scar disappeared within a couple of weeks. It was important to get the supply equidistant between the two heads, to balance the pressure.

This was the "dry run," (well..wet run) to see if it would work! The pipe was buried under the path.

You can the supply coming across the path to the furthest head but then follows its supply pipe down to a point midway between the two heads where it is joined to the two supplies by a tee-joint. It only took half a day to install including digging up the York Stone path and re-cementing it to get the pipe under it.

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/...psmzr6t981.jpg

This it working. The supply comes from the feed from the house to the garage. You can adjust the heads to have a blanked out quadrant from about 10 degrres. I've one that size where I turn it on so I don't get wet. a 90 degree blanked off quadrant, stops the tea-house getting watered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIx72a66TfY
"I don't mind if you don't like my manners!
I don't like 'em myself! They're pretty bad.
I grieve over them on long winter evenings."