Old 22-02-2016, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default what, or whom, is digging up my onion sets?

I know they have a tenancy to push themselves above ground, but many of
them are also laterally displaced. Who might the culprits be? More
importantly can I do anything to stop it?
Old 22-02-2016, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/02/16 18:12, Broadback wrote:
I know they have a tenancy to push themselves above ground, but many of
them are also laterally displaced. Who might the culprits be? More
importantly can I do anything to stop it?

Are they being dug up or pulled up?

--

Jeff
Old 22-02-2016, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
I know they have a tenancy to push themselves above ground, but many of them are also
laterally displaced. Who might the culprits be? More importantly can I do anything to
stop it?

Blackbirds are the main culprits here. I cover the bed with fleece
until the sets have made sufficient root to stop them being pulled out.
Will be another couple of months before they are planted up here!

Phil
Northern Highlands of Scotland

Old 23-02-2016, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message ...

I know they have a tenancy to push themselves above ground, but many of
them are also laterally displaced. Who might the culprits be? More
importantly can I do anything to stop it?

You've planted then already? I haven't even been able to winter dig yet,
too wet, and if you push our soil the structure is ruined for ages.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 23-02-2016, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/02/2016 17:29, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message ...

I know they have a tenancy to push themselves above ground, but many
of them are also laterally displaced. Who might the culprits be? More
importantly can I do anything to stop it?

You've planted then already? I haven't even been able to winter dig
yet, too wet, and if you push our soil the structure is ruined for ages.

Well perhaps I was premature. Only time will tell.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/02/2016 18:12, Broadback wrote:
I know they have a tenancy to push themselves above ground, but many of
them are also laterally displaced. Who might the culprits be? More
importantly can I do anything to stop it?

Its usually birds, a number of different ones do it, always covered mine
until they had rooted themselves.

--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

2007 Topps Football Factory Sealed Hobby Version Sets with all 440 Cards including Tom Brady, Peyton Mannning, Adrian Peterson Rookie and more, plus 2006 and 2005 factory sets. www.SMCCI.com Ponds 0 25-12-2007 10:01 PM
Onion Seeds versus Onion Sets John Vanini United Kingdom 7 06-08-2007 12:16 AM
Onion Seeds versus Onion Sets John Vanini Edible Gardening 17 27-07-2007 04:12 PM
Planting Onion Sets mary Gardening 0 25-06-2004 03:02 PM
Onion Sets - Second Year? Andy Sanson United Kingdom 3 20-06-2003 09:44 AM