Old 24-09-2016, 01:01 PM
Registered User

Location: West Yorkshire
Default Potted chrysanthemums

We bought a pot of chrysanthemums from Morrisons this summer and they have given us a wonderful display on our patio.
They are now beginning to fade so I'm wondering if I should bring them indoors and keep them in our basement for the winter. Will they flower again next year or do we get rid of them and buy a new pit next year?
Old 24-09-2016, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Mrs_AB wrote:

We bought a pot of chrysanthemums from Morrisons this summer and they
have given us a wonderful display on our patio.
They are now beginning to fade so I'm wondering if I should bring them
indoors and keep them in our basement for the winter. Will they flower
again next year or do we get rid of them and buy a new pit next year?

The latter. I can't remember if they are perennials or not, but
you need to do more than just keeping something over the winter
if you want it to flower next year. I have just put out some bulbous
irises for flowering again, and I both removed the small bulbs and
put them in fresh potting compost.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-09-2016, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/09/2016 13:01, Mrs_AB wrote:
We bought a pot of chrysanthemums from Morrisons this summer and they
have given us a wonderful display on our patio.
They are now beginning to fade so I'm wondering if I should bring them
indoors and keep them in our basement for the winter. Will they flower
again next year or do we get rid of them and buy a new pit next year?

You don't say where in the UK you are.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/09/2016 17:28, David Hill wrote:
On 24/09/2016 13:01, Mrs_AB wrote:
We bought a pot of chrysanthemums from Morrisons this summer and they
have given us a wonderful display on our patio.
They are now beginning to fade so I'm wondering if I should bring them
indoors and keep them in our basement for the winter. Will they flower
again next year or do we get rid of them and buy a new pit next year?

You don't say where in the UK you are.

I have loads in bud and, IIRC, they all started out as pot chrysanths.
SE London.....

---

Old 05-10-2016, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/10/2016 07:37, Stuart Noble wrote:
On 24/09/2016 17:28, David Hill wrote:
On 24/09/2016 13:01, Mrs_AB wrote:
We bought a pot of chrysanthemums from Morrisons this summer and
they have given us a wonderful display on our patio. They are now
beginning to fade so I'm wondering if I should bring them indoors
and keep them in our basement for the winter. Will they flower
again next year or do we get rid of them and buy a new pit next
year?

You don't say where in the UK you are.

I have loads in bud and, IIRC, they all started out as pot
chrysanths. SE London.....

software. https://www.avast.com/antivirus

about 20+years ago miniature pot 'mums had been treated w2oth a
dwarfing compound (available at the time from Chempak). It was
sugessted that any attempt to grow them nexr year wpuld result in fu8ll
nsize 'mums. Perhaps breeding has overcome this.

I am attracted to some miniature pots in Sainsburysa which seem to have
50+ flowers branching from one root. Would therse grow on next year?

Malcolm

Old 05-10-2016, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/09/2016 17:28, David Hill wrote:
On 24/09/2016 13:01, Mrs_AB wrote:
We bought a pot of chrysanthemums from Morrisons this summer and they
have given us a wonderful display on our patio.
They are now beginning to fade so I'm wondering if I should bring them
indoors and keep them in our basement for the winter. Will they flower
again next year or do we get rid of them and buy a new pit next year?

You don't say where in the UK you are.

You ask about a pot of chrysanths you bought from Morisons, this is
almost like the piece of string question.
In the last century almost all comercialy grown chrysanths were single
stem blooms, then along came a new thing, Spray chrysanths where instead
of removing all but the crown bud , you did the reverse you removed the
crown bud and left the rest, they were new varieties , but several of
the old bloom varieties; and new varieties as well; were grown as pot
Mums, they were treated with a growth retardant to dwarf them so they
could be grown with daylight control; blackout, or extra lighting; to
produce short plants ideal for house plants. Most of these varieties
were not garden hardy having been breed for growing under glass.
The growth retardant would still have a dwarfing effect, but once the
roots grew out into fresh soil then the new growth would grow taller.
There were also hardy Korean; mostly single flowers about 2 inches in
diameter, and Pompom chrysanths that ranged from around 12 inches high
to around 2 1/2 ft tall they has small compact flowers 1 inch to 1 1/2
inches in diameter.
Both of these types were garden hardy.
Then in the later part of the 20th century a new breed appeared, the
"Garden Mum" these were self branching so don't need stopping or
disbuding, They grew from 1 ft to 1 1/2 ft tall and could be 18 inches
across, though if started early and grown on under glass they could
reach 2 1/2 ft high and 3 to 4 ft across.
These are available as either pack plants or small plants in 3 inch pots
early summer, already in bud , or later in the season as much larger
plants in 6 to 8 inch pots 12 inches or more wide and heavily in bud or
even in flower.
These Garden Mums are garden hardy in much of the UK, certainly in the
southern parts.The reason for being able to get the plants in flower in
early summer or late summer is due to the fact that their bud formation
is dependant on day length, so they have that as the day's lengthen and
as they shorten again.
You will also come across small pots with with very short stemmed
"blooms" in them. These are cuttings taken when the flower bud has been
initiated so they have almost stopped their vertical growth.
Try searching for Garden Mums
Hope this brief history of Domestic Chrysanths is of use.
David @ the wet side of Swansea Bay