Old 12-06-2017, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Echo SRM-2010 trimmer/strimmer - fuel mix?

Hi,
I've acquired an Echo SRM-2010 strimmer / trimmer, and would like to know what fuel to put in it.

Someone on YouTube has a video of servicing an Echo GT-2100 which has what appears to be the same engine, and he hazards a guess at using what he describes as "50:1".

What does this mean? Is it 50 petrol to 1 of something else? I cannot find a user manual for the SRM-2010, even at the main Echo website!

Many thanks,
Al-W
Old 12-06-2017, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/06/2017 15:37, Al-W wrote:
Hi,
I've acquired an Echo SRM-2010 strimmer / trimmer, and would like to know what fuel to put in it.

Someone on YouTube has a video of servicing an Echo GT-2100 which has what appears to be the same engine, and he hazards a guess at using what he describes as "50:1".

What does this mean? Is it 50 petrol to 1 of something else? I cannot find a user manual for the SRM-2010, even at the main Echo website!

Many thanks,
Al-W

I don't know this particular machine but 50 to 1 is a quite normal mix
for 2 stroke engines. It means 50 parts petrol to 1 part 2 stroke oil.
You can buy a mixing bottle to make life easier mixing a tank full.

Look up 2 stroke engine cycle on Google for a better understanding of
what is going on.

Mike
Old 12-06-2017, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Monday, June 12, 2017 at 3:57:30 PM UTC+1, Muddymike wrote:
On 12/06/2017 15:37, Al-W wrote:
Hi,
I've acquired an Echo SRM-2010 strimmer / trimmer, and would like to know what fuel to put in it.

Someone on YouTube has a video of servicing an Echo GT-2100 which has what appears to be the same engine, and he hazards a guess at using what he describes as "50:1".

What does this mean? Is it 50 petrol to 1 of something else? I cannot find a user manual for the SRM-2010, even at the main Echo website!

Many thanks,
Al-W

I don't know this particular machine but 50 to 1 is a quite normal mix
for 2 stroke engines. It means 50 parts petrol to 1 part 2 stroke oil.
You can buy a mixing bottle to make life easier mixing a tank full.

Look up 2 stroke engine cycle on Google for a better understanding of
what is going on.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. I mixed up some 50:1, but the machine has been standing with an empty tank for what may be a long time. How many pulls on the chord should it take to get the fuel to start firing up? I've given it about 50 pulls half of which were with the choke closed, but no sign of life. I even tried the old blow-torch gas canister trick, but no life. I might have to invest in a spark pluck checker.

Al
Old 13-06-2017, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/06/2017 15:37, Al-W wrote:
[...]

Does it have a primer? That is a clear bulb like protrusion from the
carburettor. If so pressing it in and out a few times will pump fuel
into the carburettor.

Having said that, if it didn't fire on the gas from your torch it must
have an ignition fault so yes check the spark.

Mike
Old 13-06-2017, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/06/2017 15:37, Al-W wrote:
[...]

Thanks Mike. No primer, unfortunately. I've got a spark-checking device and a new spark plug coming in the post.

I'm hoping it's not the coil, because a replacement coil is very pricey. However, I imagine it's very unlikely to be suffering from a dead coil, because a coil has no moving parts. Would you agree?

Al

Old 13-06-2017, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/06/2017 15:37, Al-W wrote:
[...]

If your brave hold a finger on the plug electrode with it connected to
the lead and pull the starter. You will soon know if it giving current
to spark.

Mike
Old 14-06-2017, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/06/2017 15:37, Al-W wrote:
[...]

Ha ha! Unfortunately, I'm a coward! ;-)

Al
Old 14-06-2017, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ire-30845937On Wed, 14 Jun 2017 10:49:39 -0700 (PDT), Al-W wrote:

Thanks Mike. No primer, unfortunately. I've got a spark-checking device and a new spark plug coming in the post.

I'm hoping it's not the coil, because a replacement coil is very pricey. However, I imagine it's very unlikely to be suffering from a dead coil, because a coil has no moving parts. Would you agree?

Al

If your brave hold a finger on the plug electrode with it connected to
the lead and pull the starter. You will soon know if it giving current
to spark.

Mike

Ha ha! Unfortunately, I'm a coward! ;-)

Get someone to hold your hand.

G Harman.
Old 17-06-2017, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 7:07:52 PM UTC+1, wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ire-30845937On Wed, 14 Jun 2017 10:49:39 -0700 (PDT), Al-W wrote:

Thanks Mike. No primer, unfortunately. I've got a spark-checking device and a new spark plug coming in the post.

I'm hoping it's not the coil, because a replacement coil is very pricey. However, I imagine it's very unlikely to be suffering from a dead coil, because a coil has no moving parts. Would you agree?

Al

If your brave hold a finger on the plug electrode with it connected to
the lead and pull the starter. You will soon know if it giving current
to spark.

Mike

Ha ha! Unfortunately, I'm a coward! ;-)

Get someone to hold your hand.

Or stand in a puddle? ;-) Actually, I was in luck, the fault was a leaky fuel line and a blocked air filter, both of which I fixed without paying a penny. The can of easy-start someone kindly recommended certainly helped to get the thing to fire up, after jerry-rigging the repairs.

Al-W