Old 02-08-2017, 01:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hotbin composters - any fire risk

On Tue, 1 Aug 2017 14:13:31 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

Re daleks - I have 2 but they are slooowww... And never get that warm,
especially in winter.

The insulation is the key, so it's either make one or buy one - hassle
factor is significant here as I have a *lot* going on right now.

Insulate the Daleks with something like loft insulation strapped
around them. A couple of rolls will be much less cost than buying a
Hot Bin.

G,Harman
Old 02-08-2017, 03:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

You might even find a local tall building being stripped of some.

Ouch!
Old 02-08-2017, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/08/2017 03:31, Andy Burns wrote:
wrote:

You might even find a local tall building being stripped of some.

Ouch!

The OP was concerned about the bin not catching fire!

Old 02-08-2017, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 2 Aug 2017 12:56:11 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

The insulation is the key, so it's either make one or buy one - hassle
factor is significant here as I have a *lot* going on right now.

Insulate the Daleks with something like loft insulation strapped
around them. A couple of rolls will be much less cost than buying a
Hot Bin.

G,Harman

Hot water tank blanket? Although the insulation is somewhat useless if
it gets soaked with water and remains wet.

I did wonder about that as an option, but the Dalek shaped composters
are a large and uneven circumference bigger than most domestic hot
water tanks, especially around the base. ISTR the blankets are not
that thick either.
The point about the insulation getting wet is a good one,
Until I found that burying the compost bin in the middle of the grass
heap worked well enough I was going to wrap it with an old roll of
insulation we had and then use some large sheets of bubblewrap that we
used as green house insulation one year but are now surplus , that
would have given a degree of water resistance, some bin liners and
sticky tape would do the same.
Or the OP could just buy a wide screen telly and use the packaging to
make a Hotbin

G.Harman

Old 03-08-2017, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/08/17 19:32, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Yes, so you compost it quickly, then what are you going to do
with it?

Put it on the ground Under the hedges, trees, that sort of thing.

And it should be 1/4 of the original volume or so.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/07/2017 12:48, Tim Watts wrote:
Hi,

It might seem like a silly question, but is there *any* likelihood of
one of these:

http://www.hotbincomposting.com/

catching fire of its own volition?

Possibly depending on just what you put in it. I have had my compost
heaps smouldering internally once or twice after adding about 10m^3 of
stuff in a single go. Usually it just gets to about 70C internally (too
hot to touch) and you get smells of volatile short chain fatty acids. It
doesn't smell all that unpleasant but you don't want it neat the house.

It only truly catches fire towards the end when it collapses in on
itself and air and outside surface dry material reaches the red hot
embers. The smoke is a hint that something is amiss. Steaming is normal.

My instinct is that it would probably smoulder internally and might if
you were very unlucky flame next time you took the lid off.

This affects whether I site it with my dalek bins under a low hanging
western red cedar tree whose foliage is likely flammable, or whether I
put it over by the fence (OK, the fence gets it, but fire won't spread
or get out of control).

Don't bet on it. Fire in bulk can get out of hand very quickly.

A friend had their big garden fence set alight by a neighbours bonfire
and it took 3 fire tenders to put it out. The fire threatened and set
light to garden sheds and nearby trees by thermal radiation. An apple
tree was totally destroyed along with their garden shed and tools.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 08-08-2017, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/07/2017 17:19, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 17:12:47 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

On 31/07/17 17:03, Asha Santon wrote:

I make no recommendation having never used it or anything like it,
perhaps because our garden has granite walls.

Thanks - I might use that on my workshop build

I have found a location next to a path (convenient) down the crappy side
of the garden fairly clear of overhanging trees etc.

The main interest in a hot bin is can cannot get rid of law trimmings
fast enough. My 2 daleks are slow, but do make nice compost.

Clippings are going in an old pond right now, but I need that to rot
clear in a couple of years to fill in, so ought to stop putting junk in
it

I also have a chipper (Bosch) which means I have a supply of wood
chippings too to feed the compost, as well as grass and kitchen waste.

I should be interested to hear if lawn clippings compost in this thing
as well as they claim for other stuff. IME they are the most resistant
of garden waste to compost, apart from twiggy stuff, and take many
months in a cold open heap, only really disappearing when the heap is
eventually turned from one bay to the next.

I confess to being a little mystified that people have trouble getting
lawn clippings to go. Mine go very quickly indeed provided that I don't
compact them - peak temperature is reached in about three days. I'm
adding about 1m^3 at a time and they are mostly gone within a fortnight.

I think it is all a matter of scale. Once you have enough of them in one
place the interior will get mad hot and off they go. Pongs a bit but it
isn't an unpleasant smell. My recollection from my parents small garden
was that grass cuttings on a cold heap often went slimy and anaerobic.

I did originally seed my compost heaps with Garotta (sp?) which may have
made a difference and might help get a smaller heap going well and hot.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Any 1 use a hotbin growvege Edible Gardening 3 22-06-2012 06:28 PM
tumbling/rotating composters Charlotte Payne Gardening 6 04-06-2003 03:32 PM
Rain Barrels and Composters through Wake County Sat 16 Nov Mike Ruck North Carolina 1 01-05-2003 05:34 PM
Council Composters?? MG United Kingdom 5 29-04-2003 07:56 PM
Composters and Woodlice JP United Kingdom 1 16-03-2003 06:08 PM