Old 15-05-2003, 10:32 PM
shannie

Default garden safety

A little off topic I know, but sometimes we become a little complacent as my
brother in law did.
Yesterday morning he took it upon himself to do a 'quick' trim on some
trees, he had no helper and didn't anchor his ladder properly, he's tucked
up in his hospital bed now with two broken legs, broken arm, fractured
collar bone, various bruises and very dented pride. Looks like his 'quick'
trim will take a little longer than he thought!

--

Shan (Ireland)
http://ukdiscus.com/main.htm

Old 15-05-2003, 11:20 PM
shazzbat

"shannie" wrote in message

A little off topic I know, but sometimes we become a little complacent as

my
brother in law did.
Yesterday morning he took it upon himself to do a 'quick' trim on some
trees, he had no helper and didn't anchor his ladder properly, he's tucked
up in his hospital bed now with two broken legs, broken arm, fractured
collar bone, various bruises and very dented pride. Looks like his 'quick'
trim will take a little longer than he thought!

--

Shan (Ireland)
http://ukdiscus.com/main.htm

I'm reminded of my daughter's boyfriend who saw the next door neighbour with
an electric hedge trimmer, and talked her into (reluctantly) lending it to
them so they could also have some light into the house. Anyway, after
promising to be careful with it, it took him only two minutes to cut the
wire off about 3 feet from the trimmer!

He then taped it back together with insulating tape, and was surprised to
find the neighbour was not happy!

Anyway, wish your brother-in-law a speedy recovery and tell him we're not
laughing and nobody made any irish jokes :-))

Old 15-05-2003, 11:32 PM
shannie

I'm reminded of my daughter's boyfriend who saw the next door neighbour
with
an electric hedge trimmer, and talked her into (reluctantly) lending it to
them so they could also have some light into the house. Anyway, after
promising to be careful with it, it took him only two minutes to cut the
wire off about 3 feet from the trimmer!

oh oh...lucky lad, could have been a lot worse!

He then taped it back together with insulating tape, and was surprised to
find the neighbour was not happy!

I can imagine she was a mite peeved.

Anyway, wish your brother-in-law a speedy recovery and tell him we're not
laughing and nobody made any irish jokes :-))

lol...go ahead, we did!!..

Shan

Old 16-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Rod

"shannie" wrote in message ...

A little off topic I know, but sometimes we become a little complacent as my
brother in law did.
Yesterday morning he took it upon himself to do a 'quick' trim on some
trees, he had no helper and didn't anchor his ladder properly, he's tucked
up in his hospital bed now with two broken legs, broken arm, fractured
collar bone, various bruises and very dented pride. Looks like his 'quick'
trim will take a little longer than he thought!

--

Sorry about your brother in law but it makes tree surgeons look like good value doesn't it?
If you think you need a ladder you need a tree surgeon. They are equipped and trained to work safely in trees.

Rod

Old 16-05-2003, 07:32 PM
Mike

In article , Rod
writes

"shannie" wrote in message news:ba10uk$o2h2m$2@ID-
186593.news.dfncis.de...

[...]

I am afraid that when it is just 'us', we do take risks, but when you
are on public land and the public might 'just' make a claim if
'everything', or even when 'anything' goes belly up, then you think
twice.

As I explained earlier, we are clearing this 'Open Space' to turn it
back into a recreational area. we have to be 101% careful because of the
public :-( we have some dead trees to take out. The tree surgeons will
be back :-))

Mike

Forthcoming reunions. H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more

Old 16-05-2003, 10:32 PM
shannie

"Rod" wrote in message

"shannie" wrote in message

[...]

Doesn't sound like a lecture at all Rod, these are my sentiments exactly!
Sometimes people simply don't think things through, even the smallest task
can be dangerous if concentration or knowhow is lacking. The fork through
the wellie, the shears/secauteurs lopping off a fingernail or worse! the
mower kicking up the unseen stone, accidents happen so easily there's no
need to tempt fate by climbing a ladder and trying to do something in a
hurry when you haven't a clue what your at. His lesson is well and truely
learned and the job has to be finished by a tree surgeon now, so he didn't
save anything in the end!!

Shan

Old 17-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Drakanthus

Sometimes people simply don't think things through, even the smallest task
can be dangerous if concentration or knowhow is lacking. The fork through
the wellie, the shears/secauteurs lopping off a fingernail or worse! the
mower kicking up the unseen stone, accidents happen so easily
Shan

A number of years ago, for a Summer job I was cutting a lot of hedges for a
farmer with an electric trimmer. I'd been doing the job for days - probably
a mile of hedges done. In one moment of lapsed concentration the blade swept
straight into my thigh. The same accident happened to my father another
year. I wonder how many people have stuffed an electric hedgecutter blade
into their leg - I'd guess quite a few?
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 17-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Rod

"Drakanthus" wrote in message A number of years ago, for a Summer job I was cutting a lot of
hedges for a
farmer with an electric trimmer. I'd been doing the job for days - probably
a mile of hedges done. In one moment of lapsed concentration the blade swept
straight into my thigh. The same accident happened to my father another
year. I wonder how many people have stuffed an electric hedgecutter blade
into their leg - I'd guess quite a few?
--

In my case it was the thumb of the free hand as I lowered the machine.(luckily I still have a full set of digits etc.)
That's why good ones now have a kind of dead stop system - even electric now stop dead the instant you release the

Rod

Boots and garden safety David Hare-Scott[_2_] Australia 7 05-06-2010 03:24 AM
Should I have a Health and safety warning on my garden? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 16 21-10-2006 05:46 PM
Pond Safety Tommy United Kingdom 3 17-06-2003 05:44 PM
[IBC] Metal Halides and Safety Ben Griffin Bonsai 1 24-03-2003 12:56 AM
jumpering John Deere safety switch Bill Archibald Lawns 4 07-12-2002 03:04 AM