Old 16-05-2003, 10:08 AM
Lynda Thornton

Default Rats?

Hi

I saw what looked like a large mouse or small rat run across the back
border of the garden this morning, a pale brown/beige colour. It must
have come from behind the garden shed. I've never seen one before - is
this a problem? My concern is that I've blocked off the access to
either side and underneath the shed with trellis to discourage cats from
lurking there and I've been putting cut off branches and other prunings
into the spaces for wildlife or birds nesting etc. I just hope that I'm
not encouraging a rat colony - what do people think?
--
Lynda Thornton
Old 16-05-2003, 11:20 AM
Drakanthus

I saw what looked like a large mouse or small rat run across the back
border of the garden this morning, a pale brown/beige colour. It must
have come from behind the garden shed. I've never seen one before - is
this a problem? My concern is that I've blocked off the access to
either side and underneath the shed with trellis to discourage cats from
lurking there and I've been putting cut off branches and other prunings
into the spaces for wildlife or birds nesting etc. I just hope that I'm
not encouraging a rat colony - what do people think?
--
Lynda Thornton

It was probably a mouse. Though not a great lover of cats, they do have
their useful side in the garden. If cats were lurking near your shed they
were probably waiting for the chance to pounce on a mouse. While you want to
encourage wildlife into your garden sometimes we wildlife lovers want to be
a bit selective about that wildlife. I put up bird feeders to encourage
birds, this worked well - but the sparrows have a habit of scattering seed
on the ground under the feeders, this encouraged mice and we soon started
seeing mice running at the back of flower borders with impunity. I don't
mind the occasional mouse in the garden - it is part of the balance of
nature, but when one brazen mouse wandered onto the patio one evening and
stood looking at us through the patio doors I decided enough was enough so
put some traps down in key places in the flower borders where birds could
not readily get to them, and some mouse bait under my potting shed. I killed
around 10 mice in a few days - mostly under the shed. I've not seen any
since then. It may be worth your while doing similar.
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 16-05-2003, 12:20 PM
Stephen Howard

On Fri, 16 May 2003 09:14:53 +0000 (UTC), Lynda Thornton
wrote:

Hi

I saw what looked like a large mouse or small rat run across the back
border of the garden this morning, a pale brown/beige colour. It must
have come from behind the garden shed. I've never seen one before - is
this a problem? My concern is that I've blocked off the access to
either side and underneath the shed with trellis to discourage cats from
lurking there and I've been putting cut off branches and other prunings
into the spaces for wildlife or birds nesting etc. I just hope that I'm
not encouraging a rat colony - what do people think?

That's just typical of nature, isn't it. You provide a nice, cosy,
safe environment for nice, cosy, safe wildlife and the rats think
"wahey, I'll have a piece of this!".

Spaces beneath sheds are ideal for all sorts of beasties - proving
relative warmth, dry lodgings and protection from many predators.
You either have to ensure that the space is blocked off completely
with fine mesh that extends into the soil for about 6 inches, or you
leave it open so that cats and other predators can get in there.

Animals such as hedgehogs are not likely to be much troubled by cats
etc, and will find the space under the shed very useful.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 16-05-2003, 01:08 PM
Victoria Clare

Lynda Thornton wrote in newsRd7yKACwKx+Ews1
@btinternet.com:

I saw what looked like a large mouse or small rat run across the back
border of the garden this morning, a pale brown/beige colour. It must
have come from behind the garden shed. I've never seen one before - is
this a problem?

Not if you only see one - they are bound to be about, after all. But if
you start seeing it/them regularly, you may need to get an exterminator in.

If it's a little rat, it may just move on, if you are lucky. But if it's a
big fat mouse, chances are there are more little mice inside it - and soon
there will be more still.

The local council may be able to help you if it's a rat. Otherwise, get a
mousetrap, or let the moggies back in.

Victoria
Old 16-05-2003, 02:08 PM
Malcolm

On Fri, 16 May 2003 11:25:52 +0100, "Drakanthus"
wrote:

[...]

The nazi's would have been proud of you. I find it quite disturbing
that some people slaughter wildlife just because it's there, not for
what it has done.

--

So, you dont like reasoned,
well thought out, civil debate?

I understand.

/´¯/)
/¯../
/..../
/´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
/'/.../..../......./¨¯\
('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
\.................'...../
''...\.......... _.·´
\..............(
\.............\..

Old 16-05-2003, 02:32 PM

Lynda Thornton wrote:
Hi

I saw what looked like a large mouse or small rat run across the back
border of the garden this morning, a pale brown/beige colour. It must
have come from behind the garden shed. I've never seen one before - is
this a problem? My concern is that I've blocked off the access to
either side and underneath the shed with trellis to discourage cats from
lurking there and I've been putting cut off branches and other prunings
into the spaces for wildlife or birds nesting etc. I just hope that I'm
not encouraging a rat colony - what do people think?

Well fancy that, you've kept the cats out and the result is that
something else (normally kept away by cats) arrives instead.

--
Chris Green )
Old 16-05-2003, 02:32 PM

Drakanthus wrote:
[...]

Er, why exactly do you want to get rid of mice but not birds (or
whatever)?

--
Chris Green )
Old 16-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Drakanthus

Er, why exactly do you want to get rid of mice but not birds (or
whatever)?
Chris Green

We have sparrows nesting in the eaves of our old house. They are most
welcome. However, when the mouse population outside gets high, they have a
propensity to find new accommodation and find ways into our house, kitchen
and food storage cupboards - where they are not welcome. Simple as that.

Old 16-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Mary Fisher

Er, why exactly do you want to get rid of mice but not birds (or
whatever)?

I wondered that too.

Mary

--
Chris Green )

Old 16-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Rod

"Lynda Thornton" wrote in message news
Hi

I saw what looked like a large mouse or small rat run across the back
border of the garden this morning, a pale brown/beige colour. It must
have come from behind the garden shed. I've never seen one before - is
this a problem? My concern is that I've blocked off the access to
either side and underneath the shed with trellis to discourage cats from
lurking there and I've been putting cut off branches and other prunings
into the spaces for wildlife or birds nesting etc. I just hope that I'm
not encouraging a rat colony - what do people think?
--
Sorry Lynda you've done exactly the right things to encourage rats. Let cats get under there - there's plenty of other
places for birds to nest.

Rod

Old 16-05-2003, 07:20 PM
geoff

"Lynda Thornton" wrote in message
news
Hi

I saw what looked like a large mouse or small rat

I had rats in the garden once so bought an "up and over" rat trap only to
catch a vole. I then bought a humane trap (£25!) then only caught rats!

You did not say where you live so if it's in the country your "mouse" might
be a vole so beware. I rue the day when I bought the first trap.

Geoff

Old 16-05-2003, 07:44 PM
geoff

Well fancy that, you've kept the cats out and the result is that
something else (normally kept away by cats) arrives instead.

It would be a brave and very hungry cat which attacked a rat defending its
young - I wonder if cats can contract (or transfer from their paws) Weils
disease?

Geoff

Old 17-05-2003, 07:56 AM
Peter Crosland

Well fancy that, you've kept the cats out and the result is that
something else (normally kept away by cats) arrives instead.

It would be a brave and very hungry cat which attacked a rat defending its
young - I wonder if cats can contract (or transfer from their paws) Weils
disease?

Yes. But the main vector is the rats urine.

Old 17-05-2003, 08:34 AM
al

"geoff" wrote in message
I had rats in the garden once so bought an "up and over" rat trap only to
catch a vole. I then bought a humane trap (£25!) then only caught rats!

You did not say where you live so if it's in the country your "mouse"

might
be a vole so beware. I rue the day when I bought the first trap.

Perhaps a dumb question, but what's the big deal with catching a vole?

Old 17-05-2003, 10:56 AM
Anthony E Anson

The message
from "geoff" contains these words:

It would be a brave and very hungry cat which attacked a rat defending its
young - I wonder if cats can contract (or transfer from their paws) Weils
disease?

I once had a cat whose main purpose in life was the slaughter of rats. I
could turn this post into a short story, but you'll be relieved to hear
that I haven't time.

She came from the Isle of Lewis and was reputed to have a touch of wild
cat in her blood - which I believe, as one of her kittens was completely
untamable from the moment it opened its eyes.

Piseag, for it was she, saw her first rat emerging from beneath
next-door's summerhouse. Big hooter, too. A look of mingled delight and
incredulity spread across her face - eyes as big as saucers.

She went and sat by the hole and waited.

And waited,

And waited.

Ignored her meal in the evening when I got back from work. And waited.

For another whole day.

And ignored her meal again.

On her plate in the morning there was a pair of ratty hind legs and a tail.

After she had accounted for Ratty's mate, she cleared the rat population
from the environs of a neighbour's menagerie, and then used to set off
on ever longer big-game hunts, often disappearing for a fortnight at a
time.

When I bought a smallholding I'm sure she thought I'd bought it for her,
and when rats were in short supply she'd have the odd stoat.

--
Tony
Replace solidi with dots to reply: tony/anson snailything zetnet/co/uk

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi

Rats, Rats, R-A-T-S J. Farnsworth Wallaby Gardening 13 07-08-2003 03:32 AM
Rats and mice Just a little bit Australia 12 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
Rats in garden Paul Australia 6 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
[IBC] Tree Rats Louis Brooks Bonsai 0 16-02-2003 05:03 PM
rats in compost Nat United Kingdom 14 31-01-2003 08:18 PM