Old 21-05-2003, 03:44 PM

Default Labelling Machines - Slightly OT

I am looking to buy a labelling machine and having looked at the Brother
website I note that they can be used for garden labels. Although I have a
completely different use in mind, I could possibly combine the two uses.
Does anyone have any experience of these - good or bad - either for garden
labels or any other use?

TIA

Old 21-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Barry & Iris McCanna

"K" wrote in message
I am looking to buy a labelling machine and having looked at the

Brother
website I note that they can be used for garden labels. Although I

have a
completely different use in mind, I could possibly combine the two

uses.
Does anyone have any experience of these - good or bad - either for

garden
labels or any other use?

TIA

K,

I always use The Essentials Company for all my labels, pens, etc.
They do the Brother machines and, if you look at the website, all are
reduced at the moment. Of the cheaper ones, the one they recommend
for plant labelling is the PT1250 reduced to £52.50. They do offer
about four different models and state all their uses.
I have no connection with them other than being a very satisfied
customer. They are very efficient and friendly with fast deliveries.

http://www.essentialscompany.co.uk/

Iris McCanna

Old 21-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 21 May 2003 15:44:44 +0100, K wrote:

Does anyone have any experience of these - good or bad - either for
garden labels or any other use?

I've a Brother PT2400 I think. Uses the laminated TZ tapes. Very good,
nice neat legiable lables. Haven't degraded around the CH pipework in
the last 18months or so. Not had any outside to see how they weather
though.

The down side is the limited range of fonts and the somewhat guess
what your going to get display. At the time I bought this machine the
PC based systems where very expensive but now you can get them for
about the same price (=A3100) with WYSIWYG display on the PC, use of TT =

fonts and import of graphics. Of course the PC printer version need a
PC to operate, mine is self contained and runs on batteries.

--
Cheers
Dave. Remove "spam" for valid email.

Old 21-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Fenny

Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.rec.gardening, I
heard K say...
I am looking to buy a labelling machine and having looked at the Brother
website I note that they can be used for garden labels. Although I have a
completely different use in mind, I could possibly combine the two uses.
Does anyone have any experience of these - good or bad - either for garden
labels or any other use?

We use a Dymo machine at college. Very easy to use, but I have no idea
how much they cost to run & refill. I have a feeling that Lakeland
Plastics may sell them, but I think I've chucked the latest catalogue.
Try www.lakelandlimited.co.uk (I think that's right).
--
Fenny
All extremists should be taken out and shot.
Old 22-05-2003, 11:08 PM

"K" wrote in message
: I am looking to buy a labelling machine and having looked at the Brother
: website I note that they can be used for garden labels. Although I have a
: completely different use in mind, I could possibly combine the two uses.
: Does anyone have any experience of these - good or bad - either for garden
: labels or any other use?
:
: TIA
:
: K
:
Many thanks to all for helpful replies. The main use will be for pricing
CDs, so the font doesn't really matter. I need it to be able to print on 2
lines and the labels to be self adhesive. I'm tempted by the Brother PT2420
but don't know if I can justify the price, though I'm sure one I have one I
will find lots of other uses. I just wonder, if I go for one of the cheaper
models, it will be fiddly and take quite a while to make the labels.

Old 23-05-2003, 12:08 AM
David Hill

Why not buy a pricing gun???????

Old 23-05-2003, 01:20 AM
Dave Liquorice

On Thu, 22 May 2003 23:03:03 +0100, K wrote:

The main use will be for pricing CDs, ...

Don't forget the cost of the TZ tapes. The labels are designed to be
robust and long lasting, not exactly what you want for a price label I
would have thought.

When SWMBO'd wanted to some labels to price her crafty things I
noticed that the labels used by Safeway in the weight it yourself
machines where quite nice and easy peel. Spoke nicely to one of the
assistants and got a roll. OK you have to write shock horror the
price on but an inkjet that has decent paper guides would probably
print on 'em OK. I've not tried that however.

Old 23-05-2003, 08:08 AM
Natalie

"
When SWMBO'd wanted to some labels to price her crafty things I
noticed that the labels used by Safeway in the weight it yourself
machines where quite nice and easy peel. Spoke nicely to one of the
assistants and got a roll. OK you have to write shock horror the
price on but an inkjet that has decent paper guides would probably
print on 'em OK. I've not tried that however.

--
Cheers
Dave. Remove "spam" for valid email.

Avery labels (come in lots of different sizes) can be bought from Viking
Direct and you can print them with your computer printer. Word even
supports the different label layouts.

Natalie

Old 23-05-2003, 09:08 AM
David Hill

You should be able to find a pricing gun and labels on offer as a starting
kit for around £30.00

Old 23-05-2003, 09:20 AM

"David Hill" wrote in message
: You should be able to find a pricing gun and labels on offer as a starting
: kit for around £30.00
:
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear, I need words as well as price.

Old 23-05-2003, 09:20 AM

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ill.network...
: On Thu, 22 May 2003 23:03:03 +0100, K wrote:
:
: The main use will be for pricing CDs, ...
:
: Don't forget the cost of the TZ tapes. The labels are designed to be
: robust and long lasting, not exactly what you want for a price label I
: would have thought.
:
: When SWMBO'd wanted to some labels to price her crafty things I
: noticed that the labels used by Safeway in the weight it yourself
: machines where quite nice and easy peel. Spoke nicely to one of the
: assistants and got a roll. OK you have to write shock horror the
: price on but an inkjet that has decent paper guides would probably
: print on 'em OK. I've not tried that however.
:
: --
: Cheers
: Dave. Remove "spam" for valid email.

Yes, my DH has been handwriting them on a roll for years and then cuts them
to size. I could try printing on it with a tiny font size.

:
:

Old 23-05-2003, 09:33 AM

"Natalie" wrote in message
:
: "
[...]
Yes I must experiment with smallest font sizes. Your and Dave's ideas have
given me food for thought. Why didn't I think of them :O((

Old 23-05-2003, 10:20 AM
Dave Liquorice

On Fri, 23 May 2003 07:56:38 +0100, Natalie wrote:

Avery labels (come in lots of different sizes) can be bought

Mine where free. B-)

I guess you can get easy peel Avery ones but you'd need to know the
product code from somewhere. One thing I *hate* is price labels that
require a blow torch or carbon tet to remove.

Old 27-05-2003, 09:20 AM
Jim W

K wrote:

"Natalie" wrote in message
:
: "
[...]

Possibly you've never used a 'puter to print labels before?
For CD's unless you are handling HUGE amounts of valuable stock,
surely a normal computer printer with avery labels would be OK. Printers
from about 25 quid, and labels cary in cost depending on size. There
are plenty of size guides to avery labels online and on the backs of
packets.
//
JW