Old 21-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Jane Lumley

Default Chelsea

Anyone else been? I was there yesterday - Tuesday - and found the
flower pavilions wonderful, esp. Avon Bulbs, Bloms Bulbs, Peter Beales
roses, and Kelways - magnificent flowers on all. Some lovely veggies
too - red carrots!

However, the show gardens were pure dreck. Despite some nice planting,
IMHO there was still far too much impractical hard surfacing designed
solely to bring money to the designer. Who really wants an upright
block of steel in their garden, or a nice slab of concrete? Can anyone
tell me in simple words why designers are diligently building these
monstrosities?

I would be keen to hear others' views....
--
Jane Lumley
Old 21-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Miriam

"Jane Lumley" wrote in message
[...]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^
I haven't been to Chelsea this year, but I have watched the
programmes and seen
the Telegraph write up. I cannot understand why anyone
would want such cold unnatural
hard lumps of man made obnoxsisities in the green, softness
that is naturally there!
I suppose they have to have something new all the time but
give me the soft cottage garden.
is with its green grass paths and unsophisticated,
tumbling, wild array of colourful flowers
where birds like to come . I think a lot of these "designed"
gardens look very much like
"municipal" beds made by a council:-)

http://www,policedogsrus.com

Old 21-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Fenny

Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.rec.gardening, I
heard Jane Lumley say...
Anyone else been? I was there yesterday - Tuesday - and found the
flower pavilions wonderful, esp. Avon Bulbs, Bloms Bulbs, Peter Beales
roses, and Kelways - magnificent flowers on all. Some lovely veggies
too - red carrots!

However, the show gardens were pure dreck. Despite some nice planting,
IMHO there was still far too much impractical hard surfacing designed
solely to bring money to the designer. Who really wants an upright
block of steel in their garden, or a nice slab of concrete? Can anyone
tell me in simple words why designers are diligently building these
monstrosities?

I would be keen to hear others' views....

I was there yesterday too. First time and I had a great time. Pity
that the scrums to look at the small gardens were so disorganised, and
once it started to rain, it was impossible to see anything for the flock
of umbrellas that sprouted up.

I found a lot of the planting in the show gardens to be very similar,
despite the differences in style and alleged localities. With the odd
exception, I wouldn't want my garden to look like that.

I guess the over abundance of hard landscaping is to make it look low
maintenance - no lawn, so no mowing. And if you don't have a lawn, you
have to fill the space with something, hence the reliance on slabs of
concrete. I don't think much of the gimicky structures, although I did
like the blue glass columns in the LMU garden.

It's difficult. I have an assignment at the moment to design a garden
to Chelsea criteria. You really don't get a lot of space in the small
gardens and it has to have a strong theme or gimmick in order to stand
any chance of getting picked. But saying that, I didn't think that many
of them were all that extraordinary.

I did enjoy the displays in the floral pavillions. The Alpine Society
display was great, as were the various stands of tropical plants from
sunnier climes.

Didn't get to see everything, as we only had afternoon tickets. I don't
think I could stand a whole day of it, but it's too much to see in one
afternoon.
--
Fenny
All extremists should be taken out and shot.
Old 22-05-2003, 10:08 AM
Barry & Iris McCanna

"Fenny" k wrote in
message ...
[...]

I haven't been, but have had to tolerate the dreadful BBC coverage yet
again, but last night decided enough was enough. Why, oh, why do we
have to have so much irrelevant "chat." It is the Alan and Diarmud
comedy show, with the awful LL Bowen thrown in earlier. DG is as
dreadful as ever. People who cannot get to the show want to SEE a lot
of plants. I don't want all the drivel we are getting at the moment.
Last night I so hoped that Roy Lancaster would be given more time.
Paper and pen were poised to write down all the new plants I wanted
and managed one, Paris Japonica.

Iris McCanna

Old 22-05-2003, 10:44 AM

"Barry & Iris McCanna" wrote in message
:
: I haven't been, but have had to tolerate the dreadful BBC coverage yet
: again, but last night decided enough was enough. Why, oh, why do we
: have to have so much irrelevant "chat." It is the Alan and Diarmud
: comedy show, with the awful LL Bowen thrown in earlier. DG is as
: dreadful as ever. People who cannot get to the show want to SEE a lot
: of plants. I don't want all the drivel we are getting at the moment.
: Last night I so hoped that Roy Lancaster would be given more time.
: Paper and pen were poised to write down all the new plants I wanted
: and managed one, Paris Japonica.
:
: Iris McCanna
:
I couldn't agree more Iris. I watched Sunday, tolerated Mon and Tues, was
out last night and couldn't be bothered to tape it. All I would say is,
thank God for Monty Don.

BTW has anyone voted on the BBC website, some of the results are quite
surprising, or not if you see what I mean!

Old 22-05-2003, 01:08 PM
Rachel Sullivan

In article , Barry & Iris McCanna
writes

I haven't been, but have had to tolerate the dreadful BBC coverage yet
again, but last night decided enough was enough. Why, oh, why do we
have to have so much irrelevant "chat." It is the Alan and Diarmud
comedy show, with the awful LL Bowen thrown in earlier. DG is as
dreadful as ever. People who cannot get to the show want to SEE a lot
of plants. I don't want all the drivel we are getting at the moment.
Last night I so hoped that Roy Lancaster would be given more time.
Paper and pen were poised to write down all the new plants I wanted
and managed one, Paris Japonica.

That's *exactly* what my Ma said last night. Too much talk about what
*they* had seen - and not enough showing the plants so we could see them
as well. What is the matter with these people?

A friend of ours has been judging at Chelsea. He said the crowds were
vast, so much that you can't get near the show gardens - or much else
come to that. Perhaps the RHS are just getting too greedy. It's 25
years or so since I saw Chelsea (when Beth Chatto was still displaying)
and it was busy then, but I don't think I'd want to go now, especially
at the prices they charge. For that sort of money I'd want to be able
to see!

--
Rachel
Clematis Web Site
Old 22-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Geoff P

I went on Tuesday to Chelsea and the standard was quite variable. None of
the show gardens had that "wow" factor as some have had in previous years.
The queues were very long but we kept an eye on it and had only about five
minutes to wait to see the ones along the embankment. With all the others
you slowly make your way to the front when others have seen enough. There
was certainly a similarity of planting with olive trees and Cornus kousa
being very popular but this could have been due to the variable growing
conditions in the previous weeks, as some plants could have been frosted or
peaked too soon due to the early good weather.

On the other hand, the exhibitors in the floral marquees were of a very high
standard. Hopleys nurseries, Avon Bulbs, Carol Klein's stand, Jekka
McVicar's herbs, Hardy's cottage plants were all extremely good - to name
but a few. Most of the awards were justly deserved!

This is the 15th year running I have been to Chelsea which I thought was
better than last year, despite the lower standard of the show gardens. It is
the plants I go to see, not particularly peoples views on design (despite
studying garden design myself). I certainly seemed to spend longer there
this year - about 8 hours - it is just a pity that the RHS don't do
something about lack of seating, even benches in the Ranelagh gardens would
help.

Steph Power

Old 22-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Fenny

Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.rec.gardening, I
heard Geoff P say...
it is just a pity that the RHS don't do
something about lack of seating, even benches in the Ranelagh gardens would
help.

I suppose that it's not so bad when the grass is dry and it's posible to
sit on the ground without getting rising damp in the backside. Chairs
seemed rarer than the wow factor in the show gardens. We just sat on
our coats, not being bothered about waiting for someone else to get up
and move.
--
Fenny
Cats know your every thought. They don't care, but they know...
Old 22-05-2003, 03:44 PM

"Fenny" k wrote in
message ...
: Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.rec.gardening, I
: heard Geoff P say...
: it is just a pity that the RHS don't do
: something about lack of seating, even benches in the Ranelagh gardens
would
: help.
:
:
: I suppose that it's not so bad when the grass is dry and it's posible to
: sit on the ground without getting rising damp in the backside. Chairs
: seemed rarer than the wow factor in the show gardens. We just sat on
: our coats, not being bothered about waiting for someone else to get up
: and move.
: --
: Fenny
: Cats know your every thought. They don't care, but they know...

I don't bother with Chelsea, although I have been a couple of times, as I
much prefer Hampton Court. Much more space and plenty of seating -
especially last year when loads more seats were provided. Doesn't seem so
'snobby' either and you get the chance to buy stuff.

Old 22-05-2003, 03:44 PM
Jay

This wont be much help to many but I have found the extra stuff on digital
to be better. You just get five or so gardens a day (the ones we are being
asked to vote on) and Pippa Greenwood doing voice over.

Re the voting I think the web site allows multiple voting so the whole thing
is probably flawed....

Jay

Old 22-05-2003, 05:56 PM
Jane Lumley

I don't bother with Chelsea, although I have been a couple of times, as I
much prefer Hampton Court. Much more space and plenty of seating -
especially last year when loads more seats were provided. Doesn't seem so
'snobby' either and you get the chance to buy stuff.

I'm doing both this year, and my other favourites are Blenheim and the
Vincent Square Great Autumn Show - you seem to get to talk to people
there, and see unusual things. I just like to see and smell plants -
helps much mote than photos.
--
Jane Lumley
Old 22-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Fenny

Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.rec.gardening, I
heard Jane Lumley say...
I'm doing both this year, and my other favourites are Blenheim and the
Vincent Square Great Autumn Show - you seem to get to talk to people
there, and see unusual things. I just like to see and smell plants -
helps much mote than photos.

I took a load of photos of plants for an assignment, but they are so
much more interesting when you get to see them in the flesh. Not sure
how well the photos will turn out, but at least I know what they are
really like.
--
Fenny
"Reality is the leading cause of stress for those in touch with it."
Old 23-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Ian Wolfe

In message
Janet Baraclough wrote:

Am I the only person who carries at least one old plastic carrier bag
folded up very tiny in a pocket, wherever I go ? Useful for sitting on,
for receiving all those cuttings, bits of rooted plants etc which
gardeners are always pressing upon each other.

In that order, I trust:-)
--
Ian Wolfe.
Linlithgow. Birthplace of Mary, Queen of Scots.