Old 06-06-2003, 10:08 AM
Kay Easton

Default midsummers day - definitive????

In article , Mark
writes

Yes, I agree entirely...no reason. But at least we know what each of those
is supposed to represent - Christ's birthday etc...what does 'midsummers
day' on 24th June actually represent? It isn't the middle of summer
(presumably that is the literal meaning of midsummer?), and it doesn't have
any physical signifigance.

Well, possibly middle of summer - seasons do seem to have been getting
later, in that we're now likely to get the worst of winter weather in
February. As the Christmas example suggests, there's no need for the
festival to be particularly near the right time!

But I thought the point that 25th is the latest sunset, coupled with the
earlier post showing midsummer day was 24th or 25th, was interesting.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 06-06-2003, 06:32 PM
Fried Froggy

Just had a look in my dictionary ,and under midsummer day it says :June 24
The feast of St John the Baptist in England, Ireland, and Wales, one of the
four quarter days. See also summer solstice. Fried Froggy )

"Jo Ling" wrote in message
Split the difference and go for the 22.5th of June ;-)

Jo

Ophelia wrote in message

"Mark" wrote in message
Look everyone...we need to clear up one or two points here.

(1) 21st June is the Summer Solstice, which to most people is

traditionally
called Midsummers Day or the 'Start of Summer' (which I think is

weird,
but
hey...). It is the longest day of the yesr for the northern

hemisphere,
and
is determined by the Earth's orbital inclination, or tilt, of 23.5

degrees.

(2) Any other traditional dates mean very little other just dates, as

the
calendar has changed so many times since these traditions began.

So lets stop arguing - 21st June it is

Oeerrrrr so manly What do you think ladies?

O ))

Old 07-06-2003, 04:23 AM
June Hughes

In article , Fried Froggy
writes
Just had a look in my dictionary ,and under midsummer day it says :June 24
The feast of St John the Baptist in England, Ireland, and Wales, one of the
four quarter days. See also summer solstice. Fried Froggy )

You should have listened to the Archers this evening, Fried Froggy.
Midsummers day is also definitely 24 June in their book.
--
June Hughes
Old 07-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Mary Fisher

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In article , Fried Froggy
writes
Just had a look in my dictionary ,and under midsummer day it says :June

24
The feast of St John the Baptist in England, Ireland, and Wales, one of

the
four quarter days. See also summer solstice. Fried Froggy )

You should have listened to the Archers this evening, Fried Froggy.
Midsummers day is also definitely 24 June in their book.
--

That's because it is ...

Dictionaries are sometimes right.

Mary

June Hughes

Old 07-06-2003, 06:44 PM
June Hughes

In article , Mary Fisher
writes

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In article , Fried Froggy
writes
Just had a look in my dictionary ,and under midsummer day it says :June

24
The feast of St John the Baptist in England, Ireland, and Wales, one of

the
four quarter days. See also summer solstice. Fried Froggy )

You should have listened to the Archers this evening, Fried Froggy.
Midsummers day is also definitely 24 June in their book.
--

That's because it is ...

Dictionaries are sometimes right.

June Hughes

The definitive source of info on Australian fungi? Jeßus[_2_] Australia 0 18-06-2009 01:57 AM
The Definitive Chord & Scale Bible - Literally EVERY chord and scale! Dances_With_Ferrets Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 09-02-2005 03:33 AM
midsummers day Ophelia United Kingdom 34 01-06-2003 06:56 PM
DIY CO2 Mixtu A definitive Answer? David Wee Freshwater Aquaria Plants 26 20-04-2003 06:25 AM
DIY CO2 Mixtu A definitive Answer? David Wee Freshwater Aquaria Plants 19 28-03-2003 06:57 AM