Old 03-06-2003, 11:44 AM
NC

Default Chilli recipe ?!

Hi all,
My chilli plants are starting to bear some nice fruit, and by the looks of
the number of buds, I'll be getting lots!!
As a result, I'm looking for ways in which to preserve them for later use -
one of which is to make a hot sause of the type you get in the supermarket -
peri peri for example.
Anyway, I've found one good looking recipe
(http://olliver.family.gen.nz/chilli_sauce.htm) but can anyone recommend any
others ??
One small drawback to the question - I dont know what kind of chillis I have
!! One plant looks like birdseye, and the other looks like it will bear
larger rounder fruit - maybe habanero (!!!)
Any suggestions much appreciated.

Old 03-06-2003, 12:20 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"NC" writes:
| Hi all,
| My chilli plants are starting to bear some nice fruit, and by the looks of
| the number of buds, I'll be getting lots!!
| As a result, I'm looking for ways in which to preserve them for later use -
| one of which is to make a hot sause of the type you get in the supermarket -
| peri peri for example.
| Anyway, I've found one good looking recipe
| (http://olliver.family.gen.nz/chilli_sauce.htm) but can anyone recommend any
| others ??

Take an old, clean Worcester sauce bottle, fill it loosely with
half-dried chillis (hot ones, of course) and top up with some dry,
sherry-like substance. "English Sherry - fino style" will do if
you can still get it :-)

| One small drawback to the question - I dont know what kind of chillis I have
| !! One plant looks like birdseye, and the other looks like it will bear
| larger rounder fruit - maybe habanero (!!!)

Habaneros are Scotch Bonnets, and are very crinkled. They also
are hard to get to fruit well here. I don't like even the imported
ones that much, as they don't have much of a flavour - I prefer
Thai Dragon or a bird's eye.

You could try munching one of each of yours to see what they are
like :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-06-2003, 12:20 PM
bigboard

NC wrote:
Hi all,
My chilli plants are starting to bear some nice fruit, and by the looks of
the number of buds, I'll be getting lots!!
As a result, I'm looking for ways in which to preserve them for later use -
one of which is to make a hot sause of the type you get in the supermarket -
peri peri for example.
Anyway, I've found one good looking recipe
(http://olliver.family.gen.nz/chilli_sauce.htm) but can anyone recommend any
others ??
One small drawback to the question - I dont know what kind of chillis I have
!! One plant looks like birdseye, and the other looks like it will bear
larger rounder fruit - maybe habanero (!!!)
Any suggestions much appreciated.

Chilli vodka. Fill a bottle about a quarter to a fifth full of chillies,
and pour in vodka. Leave for a few months. Enjoy.

Chilli oil. Do the same thing but with olive oil. Very nice drizzled on
pizza.

Old 03-06-2003, 12:56 PM
NC

The vodka is very tempting - I've got a litre of absolute in the freezer
thats waiting to be drunk.... would make it a little more 'interesting' !!
I've done the chilli oil with bought dried birdseye chillis. I used corn oil
however, and its very nice. Olive oil is next on the list !

Old 03-06-2003, 12:56 PM
NC

You could try munching one of each of yours to see what they are
like :-)

hmm, yeh, I'll give that a try !

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 03-06-2003, 12:56 PM
Comcast Giganews

NC wrote:
Hi all,
My chilli plants are starting to bear some nice fruit, and by the
looks of the number of buds, I'll be getting lots!!
As a result, I'm looking for ways in which to preserve them for later
use - one of which is to make a hot sause of the type you get in the
supermarket - peri peri for example.
Anyway, I've found one good looking recipe
(http://olliver.family.gen.nz/chilli_sauce.htm) but can anyone
recommend any others ??
One small drawback to the question - I dont know what kind of chillis
I have !! One plant looks like birdseye, and the other looks like it
will bear larger rounder fruit - maybe habanero (!!!)
Any suggestions much appreciated.

I freeze my Thai Dragons and Habaneros and slice them into stir fries etc.
Keeps the whole year and they are like fresh that way.

Robin

Old 03-06-2003, 01:56 PM
NC

hmm- good idea. Do you just wack them straight in the freezer or do you have
to do anything to them first (dry out etc) ??

"Comcast Giganews" wrote in message
news

Old 03-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Thes

NC wrote:
Hi all,
My chilli plants are starting to bear some nice fruit, and by the looks of
the number of buds, I'll be getting lots!!
As a result, I'm looking for ways in which to preserve them for later use -
one of which is to make a hot sause of the type you get in the supermarket -
peri peri for example.
Anyway, I've found one good looking recipe
(http://olliver.family.gen.nz/chilli_sauce.htm) but can anyone recommend any
others ??
One small drawback to the question - I dont know what kind of chillis I have
!! One plant looks like birdseye, and the other looks like it will bear
larger rounder fruit - maybe habanero (!!!)
Any suggestions much appreciated.

Believe it or not, lime and chilli marmalade is truly fantastic! I've
always used habaneros for it, but I'm sure it would work with any hot
chilli.

Thes.

Old 03-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Comcast Giganews

NC wrote:
hmm- good idea. Do you just wack them straight in the freezer or do
you have to do anything to them first (dry out etc) ??

Just put them in a zip lock bag then straight to the freezer. When you need
them just cut up while frozen and put straight into the recipe. I also put a
whole Thai Dragon in home made lentil soup to give it a little zing.

Robin

Old 03-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Ross Reid

bigboard wrote:

Chilli vodka. Fill a bottle about a quarter to a fifth full of chillies,
and pour in vodka. Leave for a few months. Enjoy.

Chilli oil. Do the same thing but with olive oil. Very nice drizzled on
pizza.

Chilies in vodka are quite safe. However, fresh chilies in oil are
definitely not safe, they provide the perfect conditions for the
development of botulism toxin.
Check out http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09340.html
Ross

Old 03-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Charlie

Never killed me and my Dads been doing it all my life...

In fact, a similar recipie is in the Jamie Oliver cook book.

Charlie.

"Ross Reid" wrote in message
s.com...

Old 03-06-2003, 04:44 PM
NC

I tried it with fresh chillis and the went moldy and horrible - also tried
it with other fresh ingedients such as thyme etc with the same results.
Using dried chillis, however, has worked perfectly - just have to make sure
the window is open when I throw it in the pan !

"Charlie" wrote in message
Never killed me and my Dads been doing it all my life...

In fact, a similar recipie is in the Jamie Oliver cook book.

Charlie.

"Ross Reid" wrote in message
s.com...

Old 03-06-2003, 06:32 PM
Charlie

I think he roasts them for a little while first. I made fresh chili oil
about 2 months ago and have been using it. It hasn't gone mouldy this time
and never has before! I just buy a brand new bottle of oil and stuff
chili's into it!

Charlie.

"Charlie" wrote in message
Never killed me and my Dads been doing it all my life...

In fact, a similar recipie is in the Jamie Oliver cook book.

Charlie.

"Ross Reid" wrote in message
s.com...

Old 03-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Sally Pointer

Believe it or not, lime and chilli marmalade is truly fantastic! I've
always used habaneros for it, but I'm sure it would work with any hot
chilli.

Thes.

Also Chilli chutney (make it with tomatoes and petters then add as many
chilis as you can take. Fab with a fried egg sarnie.
Sal

Old 03-06-2003, 11:21 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Charlie" contains these words:

"Charlie" wrote in message
Never killed me and my Dads been doing it all my life...

In fact, a similar recipie is in the Jamie Oliver cook book.

Charlie.

"Ross Reid" wrote in message
s.com...
bigboard wrote:

Chilli vodka. Fill a bottle about a quarter to a fifth full of

chillies,
and pour in vodka. Leave for a few months. Enjoy.

Chilli oil. Do the same thing but with olive oil. Very nice drizzled

on
pizza.

Chilies in vodka are quite safe. However, fresh chilies in oil are
definitely not safe, they provide the perfect conditions for the
development of botulism toxin.
Check out http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09340.html
Ross

I've quoted your post in full, Charlie; now imagine you are someone
who has just downloaded it in today's posts. Could they make head or
tail of what you're on about, or who said what?
For everyone's sake, it would be a courtesy to edit and reply in the
accepted usenet way.

That you have avoided botulism reminds me of the window cleaner who
fell off the cradle at the 30th floor and as he passed the 20th floor,
called out to his mate " Don't worry, I'm okay so far".

Janet

Chilli recipe ?! NC United Kingdom 37 13-07-2003 04:56 AM
Chilli recipe ?! NC Edible Gardening 34 13-07-2003 04:56 AM
Laterite Recipe ? Bill Davis Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:14 AM
chilli plant grown with chilli seeds govinder United Kingdom 0 01-04-2003 11:20 PM
Recipe for de-chlorinator using sodium thiosulfate Bob Alston Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 27-02-2003 01:16 AM