Old 05-06-2003, 09:18 AM
miklol

Default question of herbs

I have a selection of herbs in pots and am thinking of putting them in my
shingle beds, but only if they will be permanent. How do dill and parsley
winter, and will they need any control ie trimming back?

Old 05-06-2003, 09:18 AM
The Devil's Advocate

Parsley will slow and do nothing much over winter and then in the spring you
get the best growth for picking before it goes to seed. I allow it to seed
all around and some will grow where it's not in the way. Not sure about Dill

Robert
"miklol" wrote in message
news :
: I have a selection of herbs in pots and am thinking of putting them in my
: shingle beds, but only if they will be permanent. How do dill and parsley
: winter, and will they need any control ie trimming back?
:
:
:
:

Old 05-06-2003, 09:19 AM
Michael Berridge

Zizz wrote in message ...
I've a dill plant that grew to about 6ft last year, it dies down over

winter
and then sprouts up again. I've currently about 3 1/2 feet this year

despite
me thinking I had pulled it up!
Not sure about parsely as mine is growing in a sheltered part shaded

area
and going nuts at the moment!

Dill is a hardy annual, what you are seeing is the original plant dying
off and then a new, self set one growing to replace it, unless you are
thinking of fennel, not the bulbous type, but there are green and bronze
fennels, seeds and scent like dill, which are perennials.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 05-06-2003, 09:19 AM
Zizz

"Michael Berridge" wrote in message

Zizz wrote in message ...
I've a dill plant that grew to about 6ft last year, it dies down over

winter
and then sprouts up again. I've currently about 3 1/2 feet this year

despite
me thinking I had pulled it up!
Not sure about parsely as mine is growing in a sheltered part shaded

area
and going nuts at the moment!

Dill is a hardy annual, what you are seeing is the original plant dying
off and then a new, self set one growing to replace it, unless you are
thinking of fennel, not the bulbous type, but there are green and bronze
fennels, seeds and scent like dill, which are perennials.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Dill and Fennel are so closely related that tbh I would have a hard time
telling the difference between a green dill and a green fennel. Mines green
and I picked the flower heads before they set seed so this is the original
plant come up in the same place, just more of it!

Old 05-06-2003, 09:19 AM
Victoria Clare

"Zizz" wrote in
:

Dill and Fennel are so closely related that tbh I would have a hard
time telling the difference between a green dill and a green fennel.
Mines green and I picked the flower heads before they set seed so this
is the original plant come up in the same place, just more of it!

I think they smell and taste very different.

Fennel has a sweetish, aniseedy sort of smell/taste, and you can use it in
sweet dishes as well as with meat.

Dill is much more savory - maybe even a little like black pepper, but not
hot- and tastes like pickled dill cucumber (as you'd expect!)

If I remember correctly, Fennel usually has yellow flowers, and dill white
ones.

Victoria

Old 05-06-2003, 09:19 AM
Zizz

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
. 240.6...
"Zizz" wrote in
:

Dill and Fennel are so closely related that tbh I would have a hard
time telling the difference between a green dill and a green fennel.
Mines green and I picked the flower heads before they set seed so this
is the original plant come up in the same place, just more of it!

I think they smell and taste very different.

Fennel has a sweetish, aniseedy sort of smell/taste, and you can use it in
sweet dishes as well as with meat.

Dill is much more savory - maybe even a little like black pepper, but not
hot- and tastes like pickled dill cucumber (as you'd expect!)

If I remember correctly, Fennel usually has yellow flowers, and dill white
ones.

Victoria

The I've a large fennel plant!
Thanks for the info. you described the scent and flowers of the plant as a
fennel.

Old 05-06-2003, 09:20 AM
Michael Berridge

Zizz wrote in message ...

The I've a large fennel plant!
Thanks for the info. you described the scent and flowers of the plant

as a
fennel.

You certainly must have if it comes up every year, actually fennel
foliage is more feathery, and I just love its coolness if you stroke it
on a hot day. It always seems to be cool.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk